TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
A+ 49 16.78%
A 66 22.60%
A- 56 19.18%
B+ 34 11.64%
B 24 8.22%
B- 16 5.48%
C+ 13 4.45%
C 9 3.08%
C- 5 1.71%
D+ 2 0.68%
D 9 3.08%
D- 5 1.71%
F 4 1.37%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 4 2009, 12:08 AM   #781
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Re: WATCHMEN - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
I agree with this.

Firstly, vaporizing multiple cities in order to avert a nuclear war is like killing five hostages to save the sixth.
well, he does say he's killing millions to save billions. It's more like killing one hostage to save a thousand others...

I don't see why several cities were necessary to drive the point home when one would have sufficed--it seemed totally gratuitous on Veidt's part. New York is dead: do we need to see Moscow and a half dozen other metropoles laid waste to know that John Osterman is Pissed?

Secondly, in the book, the squid was of course a powerful WMD but one immediately obviously different in kind from a nuke. In the film, the Manhattan Power or whatever Veidt was using was really not. Add the multiple cities attacked, and there would have been a very good chance that the United States, Soviet Union, or both, particularly at the level of alert they were operating, would have retaliated immediately.
Retaliated? Against who? This part of the story, I liked. If it appears that Dr. Manhattan has, in response to nuclear escalation, started laying cities waste, then everyone is going to behave. From every human's point of view, Manhattan has started squashing them indiscriminately. I can hardly see Moscow ordering a nuclear strike. Against what? and risk complete annihilation? I think they're better off giving Manhattan what he wants. Or what they think he wants.

I think the movie could have made this point a little more strongly, since it's so central, but it more or less worked.
Old April 5 2009, 01:36 PM   #782
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Well third time was a charm for me last night, 11pm final showing.
Funny how there's still things to spot that I hadn't noticed before such as-

The muzak version of Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" playing in the lobby when Adrian is attacked

The display on the detionation screens at the end labelled "S.Q.U.I.D." (which the internet tells me stands for Sub Quantum Unified Intrinsic field Device)

Various references to the number "300" (Snyder's previous film) such as on the Comedian's door

And all the appearences of Kovacs holding his "The End is Nigh" banner, such as outside the restaurant where Laurie & Dan are

And after reading about the urban legend Here, it's funny when Dr Manhattan is taking Armstrong's picture on the moon and he says "Good luck Mr Gorsky"

On another note I think a few people had mentioned the music in the Dr Manhattan history part was uninspiring. I don't get what they're on about as that's easily one of my favourite parts of the movie, and I find it particularly mesmerising.
Plus Janey Slater in her 50s garb looks incredibly beautiful

Last edited by Ethros; April 5 2009 at 01:48 PM.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 01:42 PM   #783
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

^I keep meaning to see it again, but I've not managed to get around to it. Checking the website it doesn't even seem to be on any more. Oh well, I'm sure I'll pick it up on Blu-Ray or DVD.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 03:10 PM   #784
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Ethros wrote: View Post
And all the appearences of Kovacs holding his "The End is Nigh" banner, such as outside the restaurant where Laurie & Dan are
I remember thinking those were really odd, because there was no way a typical audience member would pick him out and remember him later, when he's finally unmasked. With the comic, you go back and look and realize how often Rorschach is in the background (and isn't it revealed quite early on, with the captions? or when the cops on the first/second page are talking about Rorschach?) But in the movie, they show these brief, unexplained shots of Apocolypse Man, and only people who know what the actor or Rorschach look like can pick him out...? Weird.
Old April 5 2009, 03:38 PM   #785
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ Well its like little Walter in the opening titles, you wouldn't know who the hell that was if you were a Watchmen virgin. Which is it why it pays to watch it more than once

Also in the opening credits (which you can watch Here) I love the shot of Adrian outside Studio 54, but I never even noticed the Village People were there too, as I was always looking at Ziggy Stardust before

Also does anyone else think the woman in the red dress & white gloves clapping looking at the Silhouette kiss at around 1:10 in that vid looks exactly like Scarlett Johansson. Hard to make out on that vid but on the big screen I thought it was uncanny
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 04:16 PM   #786
Roberto
Lieutenant

A+

What a movie!
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 10:39 PM   #787
Caligula
Vice Admiral

The muzak version of Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" playing in the lobby when Adrian is attacked
I didn't catch that one until my second viewing, despite the fact that I'd been looking for it the first time around.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2009, 11:20 PM   #788
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

You know given how many people are saying this movie bombed I'm suprised that Watchmen is 4th on the list of highest grossing movies.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 12:12 AM   #789
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
You know given how many people are saying this movie bombed I'm suprised that Watchmen is 4th on the list of highest grossing movies.
Indeed.

It didn't "bomb." It's made a great deal less money than the studio's highest hopes for it, and they'll certainly be able to hide whatever profit they earn on it for a l-o-n-g time because it'll be pretty limited by their standards.

Does anyone have any idea how many copies of the graphic novel have been sold in the last month, BTW?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 12:55 AM   #790
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Does anyone have any idea how many copies of the graphic novel have been sold in the last month, BTW?
I know I bought one, first graphic novel or comic in general I've read
Old April 6 2009, 02:06 AM   #791
Dream
Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
It didn't "bomb." It's made a great deal less money than the studio's highest hopes for it, and they'll certainly be able to hide whatever profit they earn on it for a l-o-n-g time because it'll be pretty limited by their standards.
It's not a bomb it's a disappointment. It probably will take a short time for the movie to end up making a profit for them but Warners probably doesn't regret releasing the movie. They probably wish that that FOX hadn't sued them for part of the profits. At least Warners wasn't stupid enough to let Watchmen get leaked one month before it was released.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 03:21 AM   #792
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

It's still early in the year. Most of the films that will earn more then Watchmen haven't come out yet. I doubt Watchmen's box office will be in the top 10 for the year.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2009, 07:55 PM   #793
Dream
Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
It's still early in the year. Most of the films that will earn more then Watchmen haven't come out yet. I doubt Watchmen's box office will be in the top 10 for the year.
It'll be nice if Star Trek XI ends up on the top 5 of the year.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2009, 03:43 AM   #794
Orintho
Vice Admiral

Well third time was a charm for me last night, 11pm final showing.
Funny how there's still things to spot that I hadn't noticed before such as-

The display on the detionation screens at the end labelled "S.Q.U.I.D." (which the internet tells me stands for Sub Quantum Unified Intrinsic field Device)

Various references to the number "300" (Snyder's previous film) such as on the Comedian's door

And after reading about the urban legend Here, it's funny when Dr Manhattan is taking Armstrong's picture on the moon and he says "Good luck Mr Gorsky"

On another note I think a few people had mentioned the music in the Dr Manhattan history part was uninspiring. I don't get what they're on about as that's easily one of my favourite parts of the movie, and I find it particularly mesmerising.
Plus Janey Slater in her 50s garb looks incredibly beautiful
I've seen Watchmen twice now and the second time around I noticed some subtle touches like how the Comedian was echoed later in several scenes with his daughter - Silk Spector 2. Unforgetable plays with either character is on screen, she lit up Archie like her father once did, she also had a bitterly tearful scene about how everything was a joke, directly echoing what her late father said.

The music selection was a brilliant match for the film. And although some people have knocked Matthew Goode's portrayal of Veidt, I thought he really improved upon the second viewing of the film.
Old April 7 2009, 04:53 AM   #795
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
It's not a bomb it's a disappointment.
Exactly right. Too many people overuse the word bomb/flop and do not realize the industry has this catagorical level of Disappointment. A movie that makes money in the end despite its box office.

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
Right here also. It's going to top out at the N.Am b.o. around $110m which should give it enough to place in the top 25. All in all not bad considering there are around 300 films released each year with about 200 of those being in wide release(more than 1,500 theaters). So if it does manage to maintain that position its still a very good showing. Had Fox not sued it would profit faster, that puts a kink in Warners plan as well.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote