Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
A+ 49 16.78%
A 66 22.60%
A- 56 19.18%
B+ 34 11.64%
B 24 8.22%
B- 16 5.48%
C+ 13 4.45%
C 9 3.08%
C- 5 1.71%
D+ 2 0.68%
D 9 3.08%
D- 5 1.71%
F 4 1.37%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 6 2009, 08:41 AM   #31
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: WATCHMEN - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I tend to have a Love/Hate relationship with Roger Ebert. Sometimes he is very perceptive, one of few critics I admire. But sometimes he is this other guy, coming of like some of the people who post here and are fixated on inane details. That Ebert is a nut! His Watchmen review is clearly from the Insightful Ebert!
Well if there's a lot of boobage (especially from Gugino), that might explain his four stars.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 09:04 AM   #32
Jono
Rear Admiral

B+

Pretty enjoyable. Haven't read the graphic novel, nor do I plan to.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 12:23 PM   #33
boozebum
Ensign

F. I thought it was a pretentious movie. I knew who the bad guy was more than an hour before it was revealed. Overall it was pretty boring. Rorschach was a interesting character though, his scenes were always good. The rest of the movie sucked too much for Rorschach alone to redeem it.

There were people in my cinema literally laughing out load at the movie.

Like seriously, did we really need to be constantly bombarded with the sight of a luminous blue penis?
boozebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 04:26 PM   #34
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

C.

Love Rorshach and got to see the one chick naked.

Pacing was definitely the issue here... parts seemed to fly by, others not so much.
Old March 6 2009, 04:48 PM   #35
Cheebo
Captain

Hey, to those who saw the IMAX print was the 'Trek trailer attached? I know its with the regular one but did you guys see it with the IMAX print?
Cheebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 09:15 PM   #36
TGTheodore
Writer

Before going in to this movie I was talking about the opposite of "chick flicks" and came up with term "dick flicks" (which I'm sure many have come up with before).

Little did I know ...

--Ted
Old March 6 2009, 09:28 PM   #37
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

I really don't want to shell out cash for a Zack Snyder flick, but I may end up having to.

If I do cave in, should I bother with the IMAX version?

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 09:32 PM   #38
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Are the slow-mo fighting scenes as lame as I suspect they are?
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 09:35 PM   #39
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

boozebum wrote: View Post
I knew who the bad guy was more than an hour before it was revealed.
The guy playing Adrian was simply awful.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 09:43 PM   #40
T'Pers0n
Fleet Captain

I've been off the grid for awhile. But, is there some campaign against this movie in Georgia I didn't hear about? I looked up the listings for showtimes. There is only 1 theater playing it that's within an hour of me. It's a 24 screen place and it's only playing Watchmen 4 times a day on opening weekend. Medea Goes To Jail is playing 24 times today! This is a wide release. What's the deal down here? Heck, they're playing Street Fighter 11 times today. Now I have to miss BSG just to see this!

edit: nevermind. A different listing shows it playing more. What a relief.

Last edited by T'Pers0n; March 6 2009 at 10:03 PM.
T'Pers0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 09:46 PM   #41
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
boozebum wrote: View Post
I knew who the bad guy was more than an hour before it was revealed.
The guy playing Adrian was simply awful.
It blows my mind that they didn't cast someone older and the mask on him just looks stupid in the movie.
Old March 6 2009, 09:51 PM   #42
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Seriously, the slow-motion shit's getting out of hand. It's everywhere. Disney did to the Power Rangers.

Japanese. Power Rangers. Slow motion.

For fuck's sake, one of these things just doesn't belong...and I'm saying that from a composition standpoint. The fights look terrible, with the slow-mo sucking any momentum in the (air) punches, and highlighting the limits and faults in the costuming and making the pyrotechnic charges far more apparent.

Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight is the only modern, American-adapted tokusatsu I've seen that doesn't use slow-mo for everything. Then again, it wasn't initially a giant pile of steaming shit in Japan either.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 09:52 PM   #43
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

A. I'll tell you why.

My actual first encounter with Watchmen was when it was first run as a comic miniseries. The only issue I ever bought at the time was the one that focused on Rorschach in prison, (I didn't read the whole thing until it was available in trade paperback.) so that's the most vivid part of the story in my memory.

For me, a comic movie's worth is based on how much of what was depicted in the comic it gets right, so while I was enjoying the movie up to that point, it didn't actually feel like it was bringing the story to life for me until it got to those scenes of Rorschach and the psychologist in the interrogation room.

That was when the "cool movie" switch toggled in my brain. So, A.

mosh wrote: View Post
EDIT: 80% of the scenes fell flat, as they were lifted straight out of the comic book.
Kinda the point of a good comic movie.

Most insight were gutted from the book (E.g Rorshach's changed scene with the Swat Team, Silk Spectre's characterization, e.g.) at best, reducing character's dimensions to the grand total of one, and at worst, destroying the story, literally leaving the film as pointless. Can any of you tell me what this film was about? I can tell you what the graphic novel was about... this film... not so much.
Oh, really? Because when I finally read the full story I thought it was nothing more than pretentious nonsense, which is actually like saying "the sky is blue" because everything Alan Moore writes is pretentious nonsense. But obviously I must have missed the Grand Shining Insight you saw, because I think the movie pretty much delivered on the "pretentious" trademark. So why don't you explain what the graphic novel is about for those of us who obviously don't share your Ozymandias-like big brain?

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 09:53 PM   #44
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Geez Admiral, let's not get personal.
Old March 6 2009, 09:58 PM   #45
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Norrin Radd wrote: View Post
Geez Admiral, let's not get personal.
I'm just tired of hearing about how brilliant and mind-blowing the stupid graphic novel is supposed to be. It's good, it's dynamic, it is not the be all and end all of comic books.

To be as good as its defenders claim it would have to be better than something like Maus. Seriously?

The movie is a great adaptaion. If you want exactly what Moore put in the original, tell his highness to climb down off his high horse and write the adaptation himself. Failing that, you got the most faithful adaptation you're ever going to see, and there's really nothing wrong with it.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote