RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 548
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
A+ 49 16.78%
A 66 22.60%
A- 56 19.18%
B+ 34 11.64%
B 24 8.22%
B- 16 5.48%
C+ 13 4.45%
C 9 3.08%
C- 5 1.71%
D+ 2 0.68%
D 9 3.08%
D- 5 1.71%
F 4 1.37%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8 2009, 05:08 AM   #151
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Re: WATCHMEN - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

Opening credits sequence posted here...
Old March 8 2009, 05:17 AM   #152
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I love the idea of that credit sequence but not the execution. I would have rather seen the same moments presented in still photos and news reel footage. Instead of that lifeless slow motion. Plus the cinematography makes all those scenes seem to modern, to staged looking.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 05:23 AM   #153
davejames
Vice Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Where was the glamorization?
Yeah they're still pretty dark and flawed, but they also move and fight and jump around like they're the freakin X-Men. And they're all shot in such a cool and sexy way that they essentially look like typical movie superheroes (hell, they look even cooler than Batman and Spidey did in THEIR movies!)

And that's not how they're presented in the book at all. Except for Dr Manhattan, they were basically just average, everyday people (with a little bit of fight training) who used to like to run around in colorful costumes and pretend to be comic book superheroes. They weren't actual superheroes though, and that's the key that the movie seems to miss.

I understand Snyder had to make the movie more audience-friendly and everything; I just think he went too far in that direction. Watchmen was never supposed to be a flashy, action-packed superhero story, but that's what he seems to be trying to turn it into.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 05:26 AM   #154
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

I was amazed at how much of the novel was in there, and I hope the Director's Cut on Blu-Ray contains even more. I wasn't offended by the Matrix-y nature of the fighting. Veidt was always supposed to be able move like that, as can his inspiration, Peter Cannon. As for Nite Owl and Silk Spectre taking down the gangs, I think it only showed why the hell these unpowered people even thought dressing up was a good idea.

My friend who went with my brother and me seemed stuck on the thought that Janey Slater set Jon up to be locked in the chamber, a notion I have never ever thought of before, and that I believe is nowhere in evidence in the novel. Like a blue elephant, I now can't get this thought out of my head, though I think it a result of how the scene was filmed, possibly one of the few real mistranslations of the effort. Another one would be actually using the name 'Watchmen' for the abortive team, and not making it clearer that a team from these newer heroes never materialized (unless the film is contradicting that as well, along with an older Captain Metropolis, not Veidt, being the one who tries to form it)

During the opening montage, when Dollar Bill's fate is shown, my brother leaned over and said : 'No Capes, Dahling.'
Old March 8 2009, 05:26 AM   #155
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

A-

I saw Watchmen last night and I am very pleased with it. The actors were terrific, the visuals were amazing, it seemed shorter than 2 hours 40 minutes and it was very faithful to the original work. Maybe there were a few problems with pacing (a very minor complaint).

I enjoyed the amusing little pop culture elements that were placed in the film. There was the McLaughlin Group on TV, the Village People with Ozymandias in front of Studio 54, corporate icon Lee Iacocca and Henry Kissinger. Was Henry in the book? I don't remember.

I liked the brief moments that were invented for the screen, such as the retirement bash for pregnant Sally Jupiter. I wanted more of Carla Gugino in the film.

I don't have any problems with the ending. Ozymandias' framing of Dr. Manhattan was a plausible and effective substitute for the original scenario (i.e. the squid monster).

Great movie. I plan to see it again.

Incidentally, there were a couple of sociopathic jerks in the theater. They cheered and laughed when The Comedian was brutally assaulting Sally Jupiter. Did anyone else witness such a reaction to events in the film?

Last edited by Bad Bishop; March 8 2009 at 06:34 AM.
Bad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 05:33 AM   #156
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Incidentally, there were a couple of sociopathic jerks in the theater. They cheered and laughed when The Comedian was brutally assaulting Sally Jupiter. Did anyone else witness such a reaction to events in the film?
I didn't laugh but I felt a bit immature because instead of reacting to the character being beaten all I was thinking about was how nice Carla's rack and legs looked during that scene and I had to remind myself, "Oh yeah, this is supposed to be unsettling not titillating." But I blame Carla Gugino for being such a babe.
Old March 8 2009, 05:50 AM   #157
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Here's some interesting stuff I found online...

Maxim: What did you think the first time they showed you your costume?
Malin Akerman: I thought it was really fucking hot. Then I tried it on and I thought it was really fucking uncomfortable. And the smell? When you take it off, it’s like a human condom.
- Malin Akerman Interview (Maxim Online/Maxim Magazine, April 2009 Issue).

The negative feedback is relayed by my friends. I think the fanboys aren't particularly happy - there are a load of people they'd have rather had in before me. But if fanboys still hate the film after going and seeing it, they can all line up and suck my dick. I don't give a fuck. I'm having a child and that's more important to me - so I don't give a fuck. Grow a dick.
- Matthew Goode's reported reaction to "fanboys'" complaints.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 05:57 AM   #158
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The negative feedback is relayed by my friends. I think the fanboys aren't particularly happy - there are a load of people they'd have rather had in before me. But if fanboys still hate the film after going and seeing it, they can all line up and suck my dick. I don't give a fuck. I'm having a child and that's more important to me - so I don't give a fuck. Grow a dick.
A bit defensive, eh? That said, the man is right. This kind of thing should be addressed to obsessive fanboys more often - performers soft-soap them too much.

Folks complaining about movies and tv on the Internet do so in remarkably vulgar and mean-spirited ways. They should get used to being addressed in the same manner by people who are willing to use their own names.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; March 8 2009 at 06:14 AM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 05:58 AM   #159
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

All of the famous period people in the movie appear in the comic, including Kissinger.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 06:02 AM   #160
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
They weren't actual superheroes though, and that's the key that the movie seems to miss.
Except that they do the same things in the book that they do in the movie - they beat lots of folks that they shouldn't if they were just "normal" folks (especially middle-aged portly Dan). Because Snyder likes the fight scenes to be cool doesn't really detract from that - supposedly "normal" people fight like superhumans in every action movie made for decades, whether slo-mo and freeze-frame is used or not. So to actually portray these people realistically in any way would be to show them as physically inferior to Will Smith playing a cop. Wouldn't work.

The only "superhuman" moment in the movie that really took me out of it was early on - Blake's remaining conscious (hell, remaining alive) after his head was used to shatter a two-inch thick marble countertop into dust.
Old March 8 2009, 06:14 AM   #161
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

LutherSloan wrote: View Post
All of the famous period people in the movie appear in the comic, including Kissinger.
Does Iacocco appear in the novel? I've forgotten - didn't notice him in reviewing it earlier today, but I may have missed him.
Old March 8 2009, 06:21 AM   #162
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
They weren't actual superheroes though, and that's the key that the movie seems to miss.
Except that they do the same things in the book that they do in the movie - they beat lots of folks that they shouldn't if they were just "normal" folks (especially middle-aged portly Dan). Because Snyder likes the fight scenes to be cool doesn't really detract from that - supposedly "normal" people fight like superhumans in every action movie made for decades, whether slo-mo and freeze-frame is used or not. So to actually portray these people realistically in any way would be to show them as physically inferior to Will Smith playing a cop. Wouldn't work.

The only "superhuman" moment in the movie that really took me out of it was early on - Blake's remaining conscious (hell, remaining alive) after his head was used to shatter a two-inch thick marble countertop into dust.
How about Rorshach making some imposible jumps and Molochs freaky ears...
Old March 8 2009, 06:36 AM   #163
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
LutherSloan wrote: View Post
Does Iacocco appear in the novel? I've forgotten - didn't notice him in reviewing it earlier today, but I may have missed him.
I don't know much about him, but I can't imagine why they would add someone who wasn't from the novel.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 07:06 AM   #164
JuanBolio
Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
It was how it was done, plus the general mood of the movie is a very depressing 'want to shoot myself in the head end it all now cause humans suck' kinda movie.
Well, I knew from the previews it would be dark and violent, so I was expecting that. New York in the mid-80's was pretty shitty, and especially so in this alternate timeline. But despite all that, it showed that while humans could be awful, we could also be great. I think that's a very positive message.

ATimson wrote: View Post
But it's a peace bought at the cost of thousands or millions of lives, and a fragile one resting on a foundation of lies and misunderstandings. I'm not so sure that's a better place.
Still better than all-out war. Was it based on a lie? Yes. But sometimes that's worth it. When it comes to the survival of the species, you can't dick around with morality. A handful of cities and a few million lives is a small price tag to avert a nuclear holocaust.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 07:09 AM   #165
Small White Car
Rear Admiral

View Small White Car's Twitter Profile

Two thoughts, both related to Rorschach's journal.

1) The really should have shortened the voiceover readings from it. I know that would upset the faithful, but they were really written to be read on a page, not spoken aloud. When spoken, they were just too long and dense. I didn't make it through a single one without my attention drifting.

2) What is the ending supposed to mean? Does that journalist print everything and thus start World War III, negating everything accomplished in the film? Wow, what a horrible ending.

Ok, so let's assume that's NOT what happens. So what, then? We end the film by zooming in on something that doesn't matter, makes no difference, and amounts to nothing? Uhm...that's ALSO a lame ending!

So I don't know what the last shot meant, but either way it was fairly stupid.

(I enjoyed just about everything else, though!)
Small White Car is offline   Reply With Quote