Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
A+ 49 16.78%
A 66 22.60%
A- 56 19.18%
B+ 34 11.64%
B 24 8.22%
B- 16 5.48%
C+ 13 4.45%
C 9 3.08%
C- 5 1.71%
D+ 2 0.68%
D 9 3.08%
D- 5 1.71%
F 4 1.37%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8 2009, 03:06 AM   #136
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: WATCHMEN - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

For me the biggest problem with the film was that it sort of confused the fact of why Dr. Manhattan was so unique. He's the ONLY person with superpowers. He represented a fundamental shift in how people percieved the "masks." That's totally lost in this film. The film also glossed over the Keane Act. Its kind of vague why they stopped being heroes.

There are some sequences that seem out of place given that certain plot points were dropped. For instance, during the rape scene, The Comedian alludes to Hooded Justice's joy of hitting people. But the comment has no context.

One quick question though.....am I remembering correctly that in the book there was NEVER any group called "The Watchmen?"
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 03:09 AM   #137
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

For the record, I've never heard of Watchmen before this movie, so I had no idea what it was about other than from the previews. There are most likely a lot of people in this situation, not knowing what it was before going in, expecting something different from what the previews depicted, and disappointed in what they saw. It isn't a good or bad thing, it is just a reality. It seems people that knew about it going in like it better than people who haven't.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 03:31 AM   #138
Skywalker
Admiral

A lot of people seem to have gone in expecting a typical comic book movie with 'splosions and one-line zingers, where the good guy wins in the end and everything's all hunky dory.

Clearly they haven't done their research.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 03:35 AM   #139
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Gotham Central wrote: View Post

One quick question though.....am I remembering correctly that in the book there was NEVER any group called "The Watchmen?"
Correct. "The Crimebusters" was the name of Captain Metro's failed superteam. "Watchmen" was literally a reference to the old phrase, "Who watches the Watchmen," which appears in the story on Keene Act protest/support posters and graffiti, and it's also complimentary to the theme of the story.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 03:39 AM   #140
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Skywalker wrote: View Post
A lot of people seem to have gone in expecting a typical comic book movie with 'splosions and one-line zingers, where the good guy wins in the end and everything's all hunky dory.

This is probably part of the reason why many people have said that this can't translate very well to the screen, besides the fact that there's too much material to capture or express on celluloid.

Old March 8 2009, 03:43 AM   #141
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

I saw Watchmen earlier today and I enjoyed it. It wasn't a perfect film but they did a pretty good job of bringing the graphic novel to the screen. Personally I thought the new ending worked much better on the screen then the giant squid would of.

Some of the things I was most disappointed with were the little things, like how we barely saw the street corner people, or how we didn't see Mason's death. However, some of the changes were for the better, like how Rorschach got his face back.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 03:50 AM   #142
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

What was wrong with the original way he got his face back?

Old March 8 2009, 03:53 AM   #143
ATimson
Rear Admiral

The film also glossed over the Keane Act. Its kind of vague why they stopped being heroes.
My impression from the film was that the Keane (sp? I would have said "Cain" based on the one or two mentions in the film) Act outlawed the vigilante heroes as a response to the bloodshed the Comedian (and possibly others) brought back from Vietnam and wreaked on the American people. It wasn't brought about by Manhattan, but by people acting irresponsibly, illegally, and arguably immorally without having any sort of oversight or control on them.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 03:56 AM   #144
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I did no research, and one shouldn't have to expect to do research before going to see a movie on the big screen. The previews painted a different picture of this movie which was obviously done to get people who are uninformed into simply spending money at the theaters.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 04:04 AM   #145
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Other than the missing stuff, which I understand was a necessary aspect of adapting the story to film, the only real complaint I had was that Matthew Goode was miscast. He was simply not physically imposing, nor charismatic, nor truly arrogant enough. He felt like he was compensating, and not genuinely beleiving his own delusions of grandeur.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 04:19 AM   #146
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
What was wrong with the original way he got his face back?
There was nothing wrong with it other than that it would have been a side excursion that really wasn't worth the screen time. In the movie version, Rorshach gets a good line out of remasking - the kind of thing that works great in a movie and that got a big cheer and a laugh out of the audience when I saw it, but would probably read as mildly ironic at best.

The audience did love Rorschach, BTW. There will be at least a few idiots at Warners wondering on Monday if they could get away with a prequel featuring him, almost guaranteed.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2009, 04:26 AM   #147
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
Some of the things I was most disappointed with were the little things, like how we barely saw the street corner people...
Yeah.

It was nice that Snyder was able to get the essence of that moment in the comic where those "ordinary" characters begin to come together, just before destruction - the shot of all those folks beginning to cling to one another in the face of the "intrinsic field effect."
Old March 8 2009, 04:36 AM   #148
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

USS Mariner wrote: View Post

This is probably part of the reason why many people have said that this can't translate very well to the screen, besides the fact that there's too much material to capture or express on celluloid.
Agreed. I mean, is there any other novel this dense that has been successfully adapted into a movie?

I think the movie we got here is probably the best movie we could have gotten with the source material. However, Alan Moore was right. Watchmen is "unfilmable." There is no way that a film can capture all of the rich detail that made the novel so good. And once you strip that away, there's not really a solid story for the movie to latch onto. The characters drag it into so many different directions that it never congeals into a satisfactory whole. There is nothing about the story that is enhanced by making it a movie instead.

ATimson wrote: View Post
The film also glossed over the Keane Act. Its kind of vague why they stopped being heroes.
My impression from the film was that the Keane (sp? I would have said "Cain" based on the one or two mentions in the film) Act outlawed the vigilante heroes as a response to the bloodshed the Comedian (and possibly others) brought back from Vietnam and wreaked on the American people. It wasn't brought about by Manhattan, but by people acting irresponsibly, illegally, and arguably immorally without having any sort of oversight or control on them.
Whereas in the book, the Keane Act comes about when the police get sick of the Masks' vigilante actions and go on strike in protest. This, of course, leads to anarchy & chaos since the masks are a supplement to the police, not an adequate replacement. Thus, the government outlaws Masks so that the police will agree to come back.
Old March 8 2009, 04:46 AM   #149
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

The police strike is actually mentioned during the riot sequence, but a viewer would have to infer a lot.

Which is fair. "Blade Runner" explained virtually nothing but the basic set-up. Notably, "Blade Runner" has worn very well over time but was not an unalloyed success on first release.

Beyond that, of course, if you tell an American audience that at some point the Federal government has outlawed a group of non-conforming vigilantes - which the movie does, straight out - it doesn't require any explanation to be plausible.
Old March 8 2009, 05:04 AM   #150
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

/\Actually, as I was watching the movie, I was thinking that this is the Bladerunner of comic book films. Especially when John was giving his 'speech' toward Ozzymedas. Incredible film. Well, in my eyes Snyder is two for two now. I can't wait to see what he does next. I could see him directing The Avengers, and taking the film seriously. The Comedian was definately the stand out character, as was Rorschach. The Comedian was awesome even though he's the most vile person in the group, and Rorschach is like a cross between Batman and Wolverine. I might actually see this again. After I get the graphic novel, and fill in the gaps. I bet that GN gets a huge boost in sales.