Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 1 2009, 07:12 PM   #16
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Re: Watchmen movie ending blows...

dru wrote: View Post
Kaijufan wrote: View Post
I think the new ending works much better for the movie going audience that hasn't read the graphic novel then the original.
And besides, be it with a giant squid or tricking everyone into thinking Doctor Manhattan went crazy and killed a bunch of people, Veidt has accomplished his goal of getting the world to unite.
Because a cold war America's enemies wouldn't instead take that moment to gang up on the country but instead would unite with America? Sure...

I'm not even a fan and even I can see the new ending is lame.
According to the spoilers I've read Veidt has multiple Doctor Manhattan bombs which he detonates in cities around the world, so yes it would unite the world against Doctor Manhattan.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 07:16 PM   #17
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

^
Yup, it turns it into a global catastrophe.

I'd have enjoyed the visual of the squid in downtown New York, I've seen New York zapped with lasers before, but I can see from how the new ending might enhance the story. I will wait and see what I think of it this weekend, but I understand why they changed it and am open to the concept.

A friend of mine here in Toronto worked on the IMAX transfer of the film and said the film is very good, so I'm optimistic. He got to see Star Trek the other day... sonofa...
Old March 1 2009, 11:26 PM   #18
dkehler
Fleet Captain

T'Baio wrote: View Post
Spoiler alert. Duh.

I just read how Snyder has changed the ending, from the Squid thing to making bombs from Dr. Manhattan's powers, bombing cities and uniting the world against Dr. Manhattan?

That fucking sucks.
Best decision they could have possibly made.
Old March 2 2009, 11:50 AM   #19
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
^
Yup, it turns it into a global catastrophe.

I'd have enjoyed the visual of the squid in downtown New York, I've seen New York zapped with lasers before, but I can see from how the new ending might enhance the story. I will wait and see what I think of it this weekend, but I understand why they changed it and am open to the concept.

A friend of mine here in Toronto worked on the IMAX transfer of the film and said the film is very good, so I'm optimistic. He got to see Star Trek the other day... sonofa...
He did?! And...?
Old March 2 2009, 12:47 PM   #20
Skywalker
Admiral

Gah, I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread. Oh well, not a big deal. I knew the movie wouldn't be a faithful adaptation. This is a change that I actually don't mind. Hopefully they executed it well.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 07:09 PM   #21
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Leroy wrote: View Post
All I'm going to say without seeing the movie is that if you just see the movie and don't read the book or don't plan on reading the book, SHAME ON YOU!
I've never read it, but I just got it. It doesn't look like I'll get through it by Thursday though.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 07:15 PM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Fuck the Squid. Moore's ending is lifted from at least two other places anyway.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 07:58 PM   #23
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

How about we WATCH the movie first before bashing it to pieces?
Old March 2 2009, 08:03 PM   #24
Davros
Fleet Admiral

When translating a work from page to screen there should be an obligation to be true to the original work.

If you want to change the story, then don't use the same title because you are not telling the same tale.
Old March 2 2009, 09:42 PM   #25
Lowdarzz
Captain

Not really surprising. Hollywood lives to make things "gritty" and more "realistic" these days. Hell a gigantic genetically designed creature capable of sending out a psionic wave that kills most of the people in New York could never fit in a film with a blue naked dude that has the power to do about anything.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 11:40 PM   #26
Thrall
Commodore

Davros wrote: View Post
When translating a work from page to screen there should be an obligation to be true to the original work.

If you want to change the story, then don't use the same title because you are not telling the same tale.
Tell that to Alan Moore when he turned characters from classic works of literature into sexual and social deviants and had the audacity to try and pretend it was art.
Old March 2 2009, 11:49 PM   #27
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Thrall wrote: View Post

Tell that to Alan Moore when he turned characters from classic works of literature into sexual and social deviants and had the audacity to try and pretend it was art.
You might have a case if Moore was adapting "Alice in Wonderland", "Peter Pan", or "Wizard of Oz". He wasn't. He came out with an entirely new story with an entirely different title that featured the characters.

Countless authors have done this. I mean, does every crazy book that features the character of Dracula somehow detract from the original Bram Stoker novel?
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 11:51 PM   #28
dkehler
Fleet Captain

Ridiculous. And from what I've heard, the spirit of the story remains intact. Probably more so than just about any comic adaptation to date.
Old March 2 2009, 11:55 PM   #29
dkehler
Fleet Captain

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
Not really surprising. Hollywood lives to make things "gritty" and more "realistic" these days. Hell a gigantic genetically designed creature capable of sending out a psionic wave that kills most of the people in New York could never fit in a film with a blue naked dude that has the power to do about anything.
That's just it. I think the big, blue, naked demigod that vacations on Mars is more than enough of a fantastic element for moviegoers. Piling on a gigantic alien squid with psionic powers would be too much. In fact, I thought it was too much in the graphic novel and I couldn't be happier with what they came up with instead.
Old March 2 2009, 11:55 PM   #30
Thrall
Commodore

Norrin Radd wrote: View Post
Thrall wrote: View Post

You might have a case if Moore was adapting "Alice in Wonderland", "Peter Pan", or "Wizard of Oz". He wasn't. He came out with an entirely new story with an entirely different title that featured the characters.

Countless authors have done this. I mean, does every crazy book that features the character of Dracula somehow detract from the original Bram Stoker novel?
I wouldn't normally bitch about it, but Moore is the biggest hypocrite in the world for constantly saying how Hollywood rapes is characters and stories. And then he goes and writes LOEG, in which he literally and figuratively does that to much beloved characters written by authors who would no doubt disapprove of the filth he drags their characters into. He has no right to bitch about The LOEG movie. Because they weren't his characters to begin with. And if anything, they came across better then when he was writing them.