Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 1 2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Brento
Ensign

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brento
Who watches andromeda?

Ive started to watch Gene Roddenberrys Andromeda (up to disc 1.5) and so far its not too bad, but it just isnt as 'trek' as i wanted it to be lol.

Dont get me wrong im enjoying it but i think its just a tad too cheesy on the whole good vs evil theme.

What do you guys think and does it get more interesting/in depth in the comming episodes?
Old March 1 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Re: Who watches andromeda?

Well, it follows the Eath Final Conflict model -- promising 1st season, goes ff course 2nd season. 3rd season is OK...4th season shows signs of returning to greatness, and then 5th season look VERY cheap, with a lame , unneeded storyline.

There are some traces of innovation & brilliance:
- creative ship names (as opposed to NuTrek)
- Tyr
- Rev. Bem
- Harper
- Nietschean Race

There's a lot of potential you'll be thinking "Man, i wsh they could have done more with this..."

P.S. Moderators -- shouldn't this be in the sci-fi board?
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Brento
Ensign

sorry if ive put this thread in the wrong place just finding my way around the site atm. took me 10 mins to find the newbies thread lol

is there only 5 seaons in total?

by the sounds of ur opinion, im not sure if ill last through all 5... i think id rather start on TOS! instead. (havent seen more than 1 or two eps)

when was andromeda released aswell anyone know? was around the TNG 1990's?
Old March 1 2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Andromeda ran from 2000 to 2005. As for the show itself, I can't comment on the series in its entirety, as I stopped watching a few episodes into Season 3. It was always a little on the cheesy side, but it had some potential. In fact, the latter half of Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 were, IMO, actually fairly good. It seemed like they were taking the show in some interesting directions. Unfortunately, halfway into Season 2, the main showrunner was fired and the series' direction was changed. The remainder of Season 2 was watchable, but it was going downhill. By Season 3, the show had become utter crap, so I stopped watching. To this day, it's one of the few series I've actually given up on -- usually I can make it to the bitter end, even if there is a decline in quality, but I just couldn't do it with Andromeda. Of course, that's me... Maybe you'll like it more than I did.

In any case, you should definitely start on TOS. Sure, it also has its share of clunkers, but it was very fresh, innovative, and thought-provoking for its time. It's a true classic of a TV series... and pretty much the reason we're all here on this board!
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Uhm the OP wasn't really talkin' about TOS..
--

I actually kind of enjoyed Andromeda, watched most of the episodes picked up a couple of the first season DVDs, wouldn't mind getting the rest of the series if its cheap enough. It was cheesy, yeah. Even a little hokey at times. But it was fun, it had some character development as time went on. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a classic like TOS, but if you want some light popcorn fun Sci-Fi go for it. I liked some of the concepts, the last season got a little... weird-ish but it wasn't too bad. Best thing about the last season...

Brandy Ledford. Google her and you'll see why.
Nick Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 01:30 AM   #6
Brento
Ensign

NickRyder wrote: View Post
--

I actually kind of enjoyed Andromeda, watched most of the episodes picked up a couple of the first season DVDs, wouldn't mind getting the rest of the series if its cheap enough. It was cheesy, yeah. Even a little hokey at times. But it was fun, it had some character development as time went on. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a classic like TOS, but if you want some light popcorn fun Sci-Fi go for it. I liked some of the concepts, the last season got a little... weird-ish but it wasn't too bad. Best thing about the last season...

Brandy Ledford. Google her and you'll see why.
yeah i can see why thatd be a plus.

the pink chick wold be somewhat cute if it wasnt for the fact that she 'was pink' and had a tail lol
Old March 2 2009, 01:41 AM   #7
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

You can tell when Robert Hewitt Wolfe got canned because the quality went downhill. Its at least watchable through season 4 through all the bad choices and studio meddling, but season 5 (which had no budget) doesn't just jump the shark, it uses an Atlas rocket to do it.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 02:32 AM   #8
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Brento wrote: View Post
Ive started to watch Gene Roddenberrys Andromeda (up to disc 1.5) and so far its not too bad, but it just isnt as 'trek' as i wanted it to be lol.

Dont get me wrong im enjoying it but i think its just a tad too cheesy on the whole good vs evil theme.

What do you guys think and does it get more interesting/in depth in the comming episodes?
If you've seen up to where she loses her tail you have seen what is worth seeing. Perhaps if you can get the Tyr episodes
Old March 2 2009, 02:47 AM   #9
Brolan
Commodore

Daneel wrote: View Post
Andromeda ran from 2000 to 2005. As for the show itself, I can't comment on the series in its entirety, as I stopped watching a few episodes into Season 3. It was always a little on the cheesy side, but it had some potential. In fact, the latter half of Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 were, IMO, actually fairly good. It seemed like they were taking the show in some interesting directions. Unfortunately, halfway into Season 2, the main showrunner was fired and the series' direction was changed. The remainder of Season 2 was watchable, but it was going downhill. By Season 3, the show had become utter crap, so I stopped watching. To this day, it's one of the few series I've actually given up on -- usually I can make it to the bitter end, even if there is a decline in quality, but I just couldn't do it with Andromeda. Of course, that's me... Maybe you'll like it more than I did.

In any case, you should definitely start on TOS. Sure, it also has its share of clunkers, but it was very fresh, innovative, and thought-provoking for its time. It's a true classic of a TV series... and pretty much the reason we're all here on this board!
Exactly my take on it. It had potential but ended up the worst sci-fi dreck imaginable.
Old March 2 2009, 03:44 AM   #10
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

There are some amazing episodes in the first season, but then it just goes to dren.
Old March 2 2009, 04:15 AM   #11
Daneel
Rear Admiral

NickRyder wrote: View Post
Brento wrote:
by the sounds of ur opinion, im not sure if ill last through all 5... i think id rather start on TOS! instead. (havent seen more than 1 or two eps)
Hence my TOS statement.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 01:19 PM   #12
jongredic
Fleet Captain

Daneel's original post pretty much looks like what I was going to say. I thought the series started off quite strongly, season 1 was okay, but pretty standard fare until the finale. Season 2 was pretty amazing, I recall. Then it felt like a major story arc just completely disappeared and I started to lose interest. I don't think I've seen the vast majority of season 3, or any of 4 and 5.

To be honest, it was never on my "must-see" list, but if it's going cheap enough on DVD, I'll go back and watch it again.

I've got to admit, my favourite thing about Andromeda is Tyr. Great character and they did a fantastic job with the casting.
Old March 2 2009, 03:59 PM   #13
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

I will simply echo the sentiments of others, we've discussed this before if you want to check out some old thread.

Andromeda had more potential than most sci-fi shows and had some great characters (Tyr, Harper, Rommie/Andromeda) and ideas (especially technological), but it all just fell apart.
Old March 2 2009, 07:02 PM   #14
flux_29
Commodore

Who watches andromeda?
I did, but after the second season it was to watch Lexa Doig.

"Victory is mine!" -- Stewie (Family Guy)
flux_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 07:07 PM   #15
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I watched and enjoyed it through the early part of the second year and then dropped it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote