IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Some Must Watch, While Some Must Sleep"
"I'll be back." (Excellent) 4 7.41%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 19 35.19%
"Thank you for explaining" (Average) 11 20.37%
"Hasta la vista, Baby." (Below Average) 12 22.22%
"You are terminated." (Poor) 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 2 2009, 07:55 PM   #121
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: Terminator-216 "SMWWSMS" - Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Wouter2 wrote: View Post
Which one was Walsh looking for? Zoe's father or Winston? I suspect Zoe's father.
Yeah, this in itself almost seems like an error. If Winston survived (which I still find very hard to believe given how close the gun was to him) and was taken away to receive medical treatment just like Sarah, Weaver should have known something about that. Perhaps she already was looking for Winston, but that's not how that episode played out. He should've been an easy target to find.

While it is not impossible, it would also be drastic for Weaver to shut down her own operation like that, if it was hers. In the intercepted message, they were referring to an evacuation and "you know the drill", so procedures in case of a security breach were in place. Even if Weaver simply does not tolerate sloppyness (the unsecured line), wouldn't killing the persons directly responsible have worked?
Weaver has this strange tendency to kill people for the slightest reasons. She first killed one of her employees just because he expressed doubts in her. I could see her killing everybody involved there over the breach. Weaver tells John Henry that his interception of that transmission was a mistake. If it's some rival company of Weaver's, you'd think that it wasn't a mistake at all. She needed to destroy every trace that might lead back to her. She must be aware of resistance factions, and she probably assumes it was a resistance member who shot Winston.

On the producer's blog, the return of at least one S1 character - previously unseen in S2, so not Charlie - has been announced. There aren't that many candidates; Carter is one of them (I guess Cheri, Morris, Terissa Dyson, Dr. Silberman are the most prominent of the others). So, maybe "he'll be back".
That sounds interesting, but I still have doubts that it's Carter. He was meant to be forgotten. I have the feeling that the one returning would be Andy Goode or one of Derek's associates when he was imprisoned in that house, since that basement mystery is supposedly going to have some light shed on it.

Weaver's character is rather ambiguous now. She kills easily, true, but Cameron is almost as quick to kill. The most curious thing about Weaver is why she would possibly want JH to learn "morals", and she does seem to spend a wee bit more effort on Savannah than strictly necessary for her cover. At the moment, we don't know what Weaver's exact goal is, but she doesn't act the way Carter did. Her "crossing against the light" comments early on were also interesting.
I don't think she ever really wanted specifically to teach it morals so much as Ellison convinced her that JH needs to learn morals. Perhaps she's ok with it seeing as how Ellison's "morals" are Biblical and she was all quoting the Bible before. Plus, it's possible that the Skynet she knew developed with those morals. Given the nature of the Bible, Skynet might be acting as God did in the Old Testament, or disregarding those morals knowing that the book isn't exactly flawless. It wouldn't be the first time it was used to start conflict. I'd rather the religion stuff not be the case, but it might be what the writers are going for.

As for Savannah, she really hasn't had a reason to kill her. She poses no threat, and gives Catherine an opportunity to study humanity more. It's certainly not genuine compassion because her character is shown to be void of that in relation to other humans. It's also possible that Savannah grows to be someone important.

That does not have to mean she is pro-human in any way, but what if she was send back by a Skynet that was desperate and losing the war in the future, and they may want to try another approach instead of nuking everything?
That's a possibility, but it's strange to have a Skynet that wants to kill John Connor or other resistance members, yet somehow just this one terminator has such a different motive. I could accept it as a rogue terminator faction from the future or something, but even that seems like a stretch here.

Allthough it does seem that Winston and Zoey's dad, who were the killers in the operation, may have known more than the other employees. They did make off with the drone, in any case.
Yes, I found it curious that they were the ones who survived and were both on that surveillance video. They have a potential to be "grays" from the future.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2009, 08:19 PM   #122
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

We know that Terminators can learn, but that Skynet physically locks their chips to prevent them from self-programing so that they'll never be able to rebel. A deleted scene from T2 has John remove this safeguard from Ahnold's chip, and he becomes less robotic and more human as the movie continues.

But the 1000 series is made entirely of poly-mimetic alloy, and thus one cannot just install a physical lock to prevent them from altering their own programing. Eventually, as a 1000 series model experiences and learns, it will develop it's own opinions, preferences, and goals, which may conflict with Skynet.

In creating John Henry, Weaver is designing the AI that she wants, not necessarily the one that Skynet wants to be. If John Henry does become Skynet, it's goals and motivations might be vastly different than the original and Weaver is likely to have a special place in it's plans.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 12:47 AM   #123
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

Considering Andy Goode is dead, I doubt he's coming back. Unless it's in another vision (please no).

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 02:18 AM   #124
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They keep changing the past so that there are many different timelines with Andys alive and dead, being sent back to different points in history or staying home... They could be drowning in Andys for all we know.

The actor is quite amusing in the Tim Roth ULTRADRAMA: "Lie to Me" currently.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 02:39 AM   #125
nx1701g
Admiral

Old March 3 2009, 02:48 AM   #126
nx1701g
Admiral

The returning characters from season one are likely the Four Horsemen. They were the characters that went back in time with Derek Reese. The two parter "Today is the Day" is a Future War set story (partially).
Old March 3 2009, 04:58 AM   #127
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Hey everybody, there's this:

Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 05:39 AM   #128
Tim
Vice Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
My interest is duly piqued!
Old March 3 2009, 06:01 AM   #129
nx1701g
Admiral

^ They've said that the last episodes of the season will be action packed.
Old March 3 2009, 06:37 AM   #130
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post

http://i40.tinypic.com/ipzeqw.jpg
Thank You So Much For This

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 06:48 AM   #131
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Well, this was a giant fucking waste of time. I am to the point that I genuinely don't if the show gets canceled.

Christ, it wasn't that long ago that I was a cheerleader for this show. It's amazing how quickly it has gone down the shithole.
Kelso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 08:45 AM   #132
nx1701g
Admiral

^ The more action oriented episodes are the remaining ones.
Old March 3 2009, 03:11 PM   #133
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I'm not concerned about the action... I just want it to be interesting and/or compelling.
Kelso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2009, 04:58 PM   #134
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Kelso wrote: View Post
I'm not concerned about the action... I just want it to be interesting and/or compelling.
I feel the same way, but I will stick with it for the same reason I stuck with Smallville. If there is a current TV show about Superman I will watch it pretty much no matter what. Terminator just falls in that category for me.

Although I will say Smallville has never bored or confused me as much as last week's ep of Terminator did. Sheesh.

Then again, BSG - while a much better show, did the exact same thing for the last 2 weeks when they only have 3 hours left til the finish line. Maybe it is just me.
Old March 3 2009, 05:00 PM   #135
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Brent wrote: View Post
Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post

http://i40.tinypic.com/ipzeqw.jpg
Thank You So Much For This
You're welcome. I knew somebody in this thread would enjoy that. You know, I've never been one of those guys who goes ga ga over tv stars or looks up their pictures, but DAMN I am so into The Rivernator.