Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Some Must Watch, While Some Must Sleep"
"I'll be back." (Excellent) 4 7.41%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 19 35.19%
"Thank you for explaining" (Average) 11 20.37%
"Hasta la vista, Baby." (Below Average) 12 22.22%
"You are terminated." (Poor) 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 4 2009, 09:00 PM   #151
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: Terminator-216 "SMWWSMS" - Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
I doubt the military would want an ethical machine in control of their weapons. The probability of it deciding not to launch when ordered to on ethical grounds would be far too high. Respect for life and the responsibility to vaporize millions without hesitation when ordered to do so don't mix very well.
That is assuming that humans would no longer have control over their infrastructure. Any AI is going to have some default programming that implies not hurting anyone, and taking a backseat to human command. Skynet was originally established as a method of defense, not of aggressive warfare. That's just what it became accidentally.

It's a lot easier to believe in an ethical computer becoming a government program trusted to run everything, than an emotional child-like computer becoming the same program.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2009, 10:25 PM   #152
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The military's need to have ethical killing machines is inversely proportionate to how batshit their president is.

Checks and balances.

There were 8 years standing when America was one sex related heart attack away from having a President hell bent on a mad crusade for manbearpig.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 12:17 AM   #153
nx1701g
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Tim M wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
WONDERCON VIDEO - BIG SPOILERS
Whoa!
That's putting it mildly.

I am incredibly excited now - and I enjoyed Some Must Watch... a lot. It benefits from a second viewing once you realise what's real and what's not.
It seems that we're getting the death sooner than anticipated.

Old March 6 2009, 07:00 AM   #154
Tim
Vice Admiral

Whoa!

I am incredibly excited now - and I enjoyed Some Must Watch... a lot. It benefits from a second viewing once you realise what's real and what's not.

Good!
Old March 6 2009, 07:11 AM   #155
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I doubt the military would want an ethical machine in control of their weapons. The probability of it deciding not to launch when ordered to on ethical grounds would be far too high. Respect for life and the responsibility to vaporize millions without hesitation when ordered to do so don't mix very well.
That is assuming that humans would no longer have control over their infrastructure. Any AI is going to have some default programming that implies not hurting anyone, and taking a backseat to human command. Skynet was originally established as a method of defense, not of aggressive warfare. That's just what it became accidentally.

It's a lot easier to believe in an ethical computer becoming a government program trusted to run everything, than an emotional child-like computer becoming the same program.
The point of automating nuclear missiles is defense through MAD. You need a system that will launch everything even if the human leadership and infrastructure is destroyed. To paraphrase Dr. Strangelove, A doomsday weapon isn't much of a deterrent if there is a way to stop it.

What they'd want is an AI that obeys the rules slavishly "If Russia attacks, launch all of the nukes at their predefined targets". It's the simplest and best defense. The Russians won't attack if they know that it is impossible to avoid being nuked in retaliation.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 07:15 AM   #156
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Whoa!

yayayayayayayayayayyayya

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 07:20 AM   #157
nx1701g
Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post

The point of automating nuclear missiles is defense through MAD. You need a system that will launch everything even if the human leadership and infrastructure is destroyed. To paraphrase Dr. Strangelove, A doomsday weapon isn't much of a deterrent if there is a way to stop it.

What they'd want is an AI that obeys the rules slavishly "If Russia attacks, launch all of the nukes at their predefined targets". It's the simplest and best defense. The Russians won't attack if they know that it is impossible to avoid being nuked in retaliation.
I was reading online that a new computer system called Deep Waters will activate in 2011 that will run nuclear war simulations. The scary part is it'll come online roughly at the same time as Skynet in TSCC (April 21, 2011)
Old March 6 2009, 07:29 AM   #158
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

and very close to the mythical year 2012 when the world is supposed to end, or aliens invade, or something

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 07:45 AM   #159
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Myan calendar concludes. The Smoking Man in the last episode of the X-Files told Mulder and Skully that it was an notifiable date to be watchful for. Fear spiraled from there.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 07:49 AM   #160
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

The dragons wake up in 2012. One of them is going to give a series of interviews and eventually get his own talk show.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2009, 08:20 AM   #161
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I could make a REALLY bad joke right now but I'm going to be a good boy...
Old March 6 2009, 10:23 PM   #162
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed Some Must Watch... a lot. It benefits from a second viewing once you realise what's real and what's not.
I agree. I still think it was unnecessarily confusing, but once I knew what was dream and what was real, the dream got a lot more interesting, and I paid more attention to the reality.

Old March 6 2009, 10:42 PM   #163
nx1701g
Admiral

I've come to find that the show normally does get A LOT better on the second viewing of an episode.