Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 98 40.33%
Above Average 76 31.28%
Average 45 18.52%
Below Average 15 6.17%
Poor 9 3.70%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 28 2009, 05:03 PM   #106
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Hey, I gave it an Above Average for perfectly good reasons. I liked this episode. It wasn't in-your-face or full of revelations, but it built itself up very nicely and definitively tied the Five, Hera, and Kara together. It might seem like a minor thing but I found it very well done.

I don't expect every episode to be "The Oath" or "No Exit." There are other places to go besides rip-roaring action and barrages of revelations. I actually quite enjoyed the musical focus, and appreciate how that storyline evolved.
Old February 28 2009, 05:09 PM   #107
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

They wasted more Centurion potential. Again. They could have had a whole scene with the Centurions discussing the Boomers impending execution amongst themselves and deciding that it is proof that creating the skinjobs was a terrible mistake. And then they could have one Centurion inform the flesh models of this, suggesting that it would be a bad idea to disappoint people with guns for arms, leading to a reprieve for Boomer and a heightening of tension between the flesh Cylons and the Centurions.

I wasn't expecting something like that. But I was hoping.

The relationship development between Boomer and Tyrol was good, but just having her escape with Hera seems like a cop-out that glosses over many real issues.
Old February 28 2009, 05:47 PM   #108
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
And so much for Dirk Benedict playing Starbuck's dad.
There's still the Cylon God.
After what he's said about the show, do you seriously think they'd let him on the set? He's probably persona non grata there.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old February 28 2009, 05:51 PM   #109
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

The thing I don't understand is this:

2 weeks ago the final five were all up in injured Anders grill with questions and we got extended scenes full of exposition.

Last week we got an episode where Ellen, who has her complete memories intact and knows exactly everything that they all want to know - just got pissy about a love triangle.

This week, we still have no scenes with Ellen telling the 5 what is up!

Of course you know she would be telling them everything, as quickly as possible. Why is this not happening? Is it because if the writers do this, then Anders being in a coma is now pointless and moot?

Also Tyrol found out that he and Tory lived together on Earth as a couple. On any other show that would lead to at least one scene of "hmmm, I wonder if this is who I am supposed to be with"...but not on this show for some reason. Maybe because they needed Boomer to trick him to get Hera, but they still could have had the Chief questioning whether or not he is supposed to be with Tory.

There are many plotholes, or not plotholes but just unbelievable actions and characters not acting in a logical way at this point.
Old February 28 2009, 05:53 PM   #110
Agent Richard07
Retired

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
And so much for Dirk Benedict playing Starbuck's dad.
After what he's said about the show, do you seriously think they'd let him on the set? He's probably persona non grata there.
Anything is possible. I never got the sense that he's totally and absolutely unwelcome to make a guest appearance, nor have I ever gotten the feeling that he'd never ever do it.
Old February 28 2009, 05:57 PM   #111
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Anything is possible. I never got the sense that he's totally and absolutely unwelcome to make a guest appearance, nor have I ever gotten the feeling that he'd never ever do it.
You've never read "lost in castration", have you?

I do remember reading that Katee Sackhoff hates him so much that she'd walk if he ever showed up on the set.

So not only would he never be *allowed* to appear, he wouldn't want to anyway.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old February 28 2009, 06:12 PM   #112
Garth Rockett
Commodore

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
This week, we still have no scenes with Ellen telling the 5 what is up!

Of course you know she would be telling them everything, as quickly as possible. Why is this not happening?
It probably happened offscreen. The audience already learned what we needed to from Ellen when she was on the baseship. No point wasting screentime telling us things we already know just for the benefit of other characters.
Old February 28 2009, 06:13 PM   #113
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

Dead on arrival. I've seen better galactica 1980 eps.
Old February 28 2009, 06:22 PM   #114
Agent Richard07
Retired

You've never read "lost in castration", have you?
I've read it. I also read that he was still open to the idea of making an appearance if the circumstances were right (money/good part).

I do remember reading that Katee Sackhoff hates him so much that she'd walk if he ever showed up on the set.
I heard that too, and it's a good argument for suggesting that he'd never get an offer to appear. I'm still holding out hope though. Anything could have changed or calmed down enough to make an appearance possible.
Old February 28 2009, 06:59 PM   #115
romulus
Fleet Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
romulus wrote: View Post
I can’t believe the never streamed deadlock on the BSG site. I even checked the hulu site that guy kept name dropping and nothing. Some body piss em off or something?
It's not happening until tomorrow. It's SciFi's way of getting you to pay for the episode on iTunes.
OK, I guess the money from advertising off the streams is not enough. Should of torrented....
Old February 28 2009, 07:01 PM   #116
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
It was piss ass fucking bullshit poor.

I love the previews that Sci-fi does "....was just the beginning!!!". No, the show is fucking over in 3 weeks it's the fucking end! GET TO THE FUCKING POINT!!!!

Are the Final Five good for anything? Nope.
Do we know anything about Starbuck? Nope.
Boomer is still useless? Yep.
Ship still dieing? Yep.

Where is John and the other Cylons? How is Baltar's cult going to play into the show?

I normally wouldn't care but there are only 4 fucking "hours" left and it's time to get their ass moving!!!
QFT - I guess RDM missed the class on proper story pacing back when he was an aspiring writer. Yes, things were reveled and the last few minutes were better than the rest but ANOTHER - Starbuck: "I'm so lost and don't know what my 'speschul destiny' in life is..." episode.

Also, a big to now seeing a Cylon on the new Council (or whatever they're calling it - Hell, see the people of the fleet coming to grips with THAT announcement from Roslin or Adama probably could have been an episode in itself). Also, we suddenly go from the Cyons and 3 of the 'Final Five' voting to 'bug out' and leave the Humans in the fleet to it now being WEEKS later; and the Cylons electing their own council representative? (again - if you're going to make a dramatic plot point in one episode just to drop it like it never existed the following week - why did you waste time on it in the first place with only a few episodes left and posdcasts of what you had to cut for time, etc.??) I'm really starting too laugh at the who laud RDM as such an excellent storyteller. Again, ALL the exposition that Anders spewed forth in 15 minutes on ONE episode could have been spread over these last two wasted ones, and it would have made for a much more compelling story then what were had over the last 3 weeks.

Poor
Old February 28 2009, 07:12 PM   #117
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Carlito wrote: View Post
It's funny that with all the negativty and criticism in this thread the episode still has more "excellent" votes than any other option.
That means pretty much nothing. There seems to be a bizarre tendency for fans of shows to go overboard doling out the "A++++s" or "excellents". It is usually the result of hardcore fans compensating for the critics or overzealous posters who in some cases pull back from that initial score after reading other posts and their own reflection. And it is a phenomenon not exclusively for just BSG fans. In fact, I've seen it with other genre shows. I don't care how great a show is it never has excellent episodes week after week.

And a small sampling of TrekBBS posters dooesn't necessarily accurately reflect the general opinion of a wider audience on any subject--BSG or otherwise.
So does character development count for nothing?
It does if it is interesting character development. I can't really say that a lot of what I've seen this season falls into that category.
Does every episode that doesn't have a massive space battle or loads of details about the cylons get dismissed as "nothing happened"?
I don't understand why posters who disagree with those of us who have issues with the show drag out the tired counter-argument that we don't appreciate the show simply because it lacks eye candy, action, space battles or revelations. As I've said there are plenty of other things to complain about or criticize that have nothing to do with any of those things. My biggest problem is the show isn't that compelling.

Having a camera focus in on an actor's face and looking grim or reflective doesn't make great drama. Having a character sit around and talk or play a piano or share Cylon projections doesn't mean it is great character-driven drama.
Old February 28 2009, 07:22 PM   #118
propita
Rear Admiral

Just a weird episode with only 4 hours left. So much time spent on Kara when that could've taken half the screen time if tightly written.

Okay, so that's Kara's Daddy. Daddy was a piano player at an Opera House. Daniel was "sensitive"--and a musician? Is this Daniel--or is it someone from the SoL? Maybe that's what makes Kara so special--she's not actually a Cylon hybrid...she's a hybrid from the SoL.

And if Daddy had been from that group, and got mixed up with humans, would that make Daddy Count Iblis?

This idea sounds worse as I read it, but...we got a human-cylon hybrid. If Kara was so special, she needs to be more special than Hera.

Kara has been pronounced "Kar-uh" and "Kair-uh" while Hera has been pronounced "Heer-uh" an "Hair-uh." The second versions of both rhyme. Anything coincidental about the rhyme between Kara and Hera?
Old February 28 2009, 07:36 PM   #119
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

So does character development count for nothing? Does every episode that doesn't have a massive space battle or loads of details about the cylons get dismissed as "nothing happened"?
Character development certainly counts. It's what makes this show great and why it stands above most of today's MediaSF.

That being said, Starbuck's development is no longer interesting because it's repetitive at this point and predictable, and has left her stagnant.

Now, on the other hand, the stuff with Boomer manipulating the Chief that's pure gold because it played upon who these two characters are, what they want, who they once were, and where they are at in their lives.

In terms of mystery and unanswered questions, I don't need everything neatly tied in a bow and handed to me. Babylon 5, for example, didn't resolve everything and that's one of my favorite shows. Tapping The Source, one of my favorite novels, never resolves the main mystery, but it's about the character's journey not the McGuffin. (Oh and despite the claims that Point Break was inspired by this novel, the two are nothing alike.)

However, nuBSG doesn't do what that show or a tightly-written mystery novel does well: resolve part of one mystery and have that dovetail into another. Rather, in the case of the Starbuck arc, it is the same mystery played out as far and beyond what it should be to the point where it becomes a vulture circling the carcass of the audience.

Example: Babylon 4.

At the start of B5, it is said B4 vanished 24 hours before becoming operational. Then we see it reappear, learn that it's being taken through time, and at the end we know that two of the lead characters are involved. Now the audience is set up to expect that it's into the future. We resolved what happened to Babylon 4, but not why and how. So we have a piece resolved but now we have more questions. Then when we get the answers, it subverts what the audience expects -- B4 being taken into the far future.

Consider if we got what Starbuck is in this episode or earlier, now the characters and her have to deal with what that means -- much like the Final Five. Now we watch to find out what Starbuck is, who was the other Starbuck or where did she come from. Say you make her a cylon or say that she's a cylon, which is the audience expectation, now the trick is to subvert it and dangle a new carrot for us to jump for.

Instead of dealing with it now, it seems that we have to get it all in the final few hours of the series and I fear that the finale will be very much on par with DS9's "What You Leave Behind," where everything is crammed into two hours.
Old February 28 2009, 08:00 PM   #120
Aragorn
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
It's funny that with all the negativty and criticism in this thread the episode still has more "excellent" votes than any other option.
That's what I'm saying. "Well the episode was rather boring and we didn't find anythnig out, so above average! What the fuck is up with that? I think BSG fans are getting as bad as Voyager fans....
Boy, people who have differing opinions than you. How dare they?