Vulcan Nimoy Tribute
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Pegg Writing Kickass Role For Elba
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Galaxy Quest To Become A Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Mulgrew On Voyager Twentieth Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 98 40.33%
Above Average 76 31.28%
Average 45 18.52%
Below Average 15 6.17%
Poor 9 3.70%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 28 2009, 05:17 AM   #46
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

Damn you people and your accurate theories. Some of you correctly predicted that Boomer was still working for Cavil and that Daniel is Kara's father (okay, the latter isn't confirmed but there's certainly stronger evidence of that now, although it's still possible her "father" in this case was an angel like Head Six and Head Baltar). Bastards. I had hoped both of those weren't true.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Old February 28 2009, 05:17 AM   #47
Evil_Admiral
Commodore

Let's see here.... What did we learn tonight?

Boomer's still a bitch. And she also has a scary stalker-ish thing going for the Chief right there. And Helo.

Helo can't tell the difference between 8s.

Hera is plugged into something which is directing everyone else to do something or go somewhere.

Kara created a head person so that she can work out her daddy issues.

Kara can play Bob Dylan songs on the piano, and that freaks the shit out of the Five.

Tigh knows technobabble (he could have just said "Jumping inside the Galactica will DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL!").

And finally the most important thing: there is only one tube of toothpaste left in the universe.

This felt pretty weak, and there weren't all that many major revelations or plot drivers. Above Average.
Old February 28 2009, 05:22 AM   #48
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Oh yeah, Athena stumbling into the flight briefing room was creepy. I didn't know who or what it was at first. Looked like the a zombie or something.
Old February 28 2009, 05:23 AM   #49
ialfan
Fleet Captain

Excellent. Not quite up to the pace of The Oath/Blood on the Scales but I liked it. It was REALLY nice to get a Kara episode for once. The only thing I felt missing was Baltar. I guess that's a dangler for next week (or the finale?)

I can't believe they made me like boomer again for the first time since Season 2 and then had her betray my trust.

My biggest concern now is -- is Roslin dead!?
Old February 28 2009, 05:24 AM   #50
Robert Maxwell
Knives Out, 24/7/365

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I doubt Roslin is dead, but they're running out of time to explain what her mystical connection to Hera is.
Old February 28 2009, 05:25 AM   #51
Spider
Dirty Old Man

much better than last week, so it's at least an above average. Not as good as the episodes I gave excellents to, so, I give it an above average. So now we know, which we suspected all along, that Kara has some Cylon in her.

What's up with Roslyn? Is she dead, or just in bad shape?

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Old February 28 2009, 05:26 AM   #52
cbspock
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Why doesn't whoever rebuilt Starbuck's viper give them a new Galactica?

Just a thought.

Hmmm.... I wouldn't laugh.... you might be onto something.....
That might be interesting.

-Chris
Old February 28 2009, 05:28 AM   #53
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Sad to say but another Average episode overall. A strong exciting, intriguing 12 minutes at the 3/4 mark of an episode doesn't make up for an excruciatingly dull 45 minutes of an episode that felt, like last week, mostly unnecessary beyond a few pieces of entertaining set-up within the hour.

Looking back, I think the writers struggled to fill out the twenty episodes of season 4 and had they cut out a lot of the lesser episodes they could have come rather close to wrapping up the show last year and would have made for a much more tightly written and focused arc.

I could have done without Baltar's cult, for instance, from the beginning since it hasn't been interesting at all. I didn't need to see repeated scenes of welding last week. And this episode was way too slow in the beginning and middle passages. Maybe the point was to show how monotonous life has become in the fleet. If so, I couldn't appreciate it on that level because I was bored so much I lost interest altogether.

Nothing interesting yet again was done with the Final Five. None of the remaining three seemed interested in getting Ellen whose memories were completely restored when she downloaded to fill in the blanks that Anders couldn't now that he was in a coma. And one week of Anders in a coma to prolong advancing the story is annoying but two episodes in a row is aggravating--yet another soap opera staple.

For a brief moment, for the first time in the episode I was drawn in with the vision projection that I thought was more flashbacks to Tyrol's life on Earth instead of a life that might be coming from Boomer. I've never been invested in most of the romances on this show and Tyrol/Boomer like Caprica/Tighe/Ellen last week did not interest me in the least. In fact, the only one that does is Roslin/Adama.

I guess it was my fault for thinking this might have been the definitive mythology episode for Starbuck based on last week's preview instead I was surprised to see that it was more of a Tyrol episode than a Starbuck one.

Like I said though the episode did pick up steam towards the end with the series of revelations and more set-up--the music becoming recognizable as "All Along the Watchtower", the Five coming to her puzzled in the bar, Starbuck realizing it was her father and he is no longer there(an entity perhaps), Boomer double crossing Tyrol and kidnaping Hera for Cavil for some unknown purpose(at first I thought she was sent to snatch the Five to help Cavil rebuild the hub), her jumping near the Galactica causing serious damage to an already fragile vessel.

I don't think I'm being overly demanding as a viewer. Moore made it sound that ending the show after four seasons would be a perfect fit to the remaining material they had but as last season and especially these last few episodes demonstrate I think he seriously miscalculated. The show hasn't been the best show on tv, if it ever was, in many many years probably after the first year and a half in my opinion.
Old February 28 2009, 05:28 AM   #54
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Is Laura dead?!

Excellent episode. I liked the first half, it was eerie as if things were happening but we couldn't quite put our fingers on what it was. And then Starbuck started playing All Along the Watchtower with the rock music kicking in. Whoa! The last act was as intense as all hell. I can't sing the praises of it enough. After last week's which I like less and less as time goes on this episode really felt like top notch BSG. This is the last script by longtime writers Thompson and Weddle- boy did they go out in form!

Again, fraking excellent.
Old February 28 2009, 05:30 AM   #55
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Is Laura dead?!
No such luck, I'm sure. Roslin will probably die during the final two hours, so that they don't have to let go of that thread until essentially the end of the series.
Old February 28 2009, 05:30 AM   #56
T'Pers0n
Fleet Captain

Excellent. This is exactly what I wanted from this show. Let the characters move the plot. Thank goodness last week's episode was a fluke. My favorite of season 4. Good music and editing too.

From the promo pics, a bunch was cut out of this episode. But, maybe that actually helped. originally Tyrol and Boomer were shown with the kid "Dionne". Eventually, it looked like the girl in the projection was switched to Hera. Probably had something to do with the last scene of Tyrol projecting and running to the door. With all that cut, it kind of makes it even creepier because it's implied Boomer was obsessing over Hera to begin with.
Old February 28 2009, 05:37 AM   #57
cbspock
Rear Admiral

The last 10 episodes have been like a slow boiling pot leading up to the big explosion in the finale. They have had some really great character driven episodes. Their society is falling apart all around them, and Galactica is the visible symbol of the whole thing.

This show has been some ride, and well worth the wait we have had to go through during its run.

-Chris
Old February 28 2009, 05:39 AM   #58
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Evil_Admiral wrote: View Post
This felt pretty weak, and there weren't all that many major revelations or plot drivers. Above Average.

People's ratings here are insane.
Old February 28 2009, 05:40 AM   #59
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

A boring 40 minutes and then an interesting end. Combine that with last week's nothing of an episode and you have a tremendous waste of potential at the finish line. Could we get on with it please? Moore should look at those arcs DS9 did, the last one in particular. Nobody wants to take a stroll to the finish line.
Old February 28 2009, 05:44 AM   #60
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Looking back, I think the writers struggled to fill out the twenty episodes of season 4 and had they cut out a lot of the lesser episodes they could have come rather close to wrapping up the show last year and would have made for a much more tightly written and focused arc.
I've said it before that as great as BSG is, having them do 20-episode seasons was a mistake. 13 episodes leads to better and tighter storytelling.