Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 13 2009, 10:03 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

That Fing 10 pin!!!

On my old blueprints of the ENTERPRISE, it shows two bowling lanes...not enough for a league, mind you...but I wonder. Do you think Kirk bowled, and if he did, did he use a curveball? And what about Spock. I bet he would have been a great bowler after putting his mind to it...scotty probably was a 160 average bowler. Always trying harder, just couldn't ever get better.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: That Fing 10 pin!!!

That slow a day at work, Robert?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 11:25 PM   #3
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
On my old blueprints of the ENTERPRISE, it shows two bowling lanes...not enough for a league, mind you...but I wonder. Do you think Kirk bowled, and if he did, did he use a curveball? And what about Spock. I bet he would have been a great bowler after putting his mind to it...scotty probably was a 160 average bowler. Always trying harder, just couldn't ever get better.

Rob
The old Franz Joseph blueprints actually indicate six bowling lanes, not just two.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Ziz
Commodore

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
That slow a day at work, Robert?
Seconded.

I appreciate that you manage to come up with interesting topics that make people think "outside the box", but dude, you're scraping.
Old April 14 2009, 12:05 AM   #5
Alrik
Rear Admiral

Now come on. Cut Rob some slack here. I mean JTK is from Riverside, so it does go hand in hand with the stereotype of Mid-westerner's love of the game. That would just be keeping with such high brow programming that re-enforces the idea like Roseanne and the like. I mean, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to imagine the mighty Captian, in his off time, sporting a John Deere ball cap, drinking a cold Bud Light and bowling a few frames.

Yes....I did type that with a straight face.......but just barely.
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2009, 12:24 AM   #6
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

And what about Spock. I bet he would have been a great bowler after putting his mind to it

Rob
Spock bowling (in Kail's comic)
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2009, 03:08 PM   #7
RobertScorpio
Pariah

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post

Rob
The old Franz Joseph blueprints actually indicate six bowling lanes, not just two.
you're right...I stand corrected...

And as for the nay-sayers in this thread? Star Trek can't only be about warp engines or Phaser relays or all the technobabble stuff that usually gets bantered around here...Thinking outside the box is what STAR TREK fans need to do now and then...then we can talk about stasis fields and continuity battles and all that fun stuff that kept most of us virgins past our prime..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2009, 04:25 PM   #8
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Rob
you're right...I stand corrected...

And as for the nay-sayers in this thread? Star Trek can't only be about warp engines or Phaser relays or all the technobabble stuff that usually gets bantered around here...Thinking outside the box is what STAR TREK fans need to do now and then...then we can talk about stasis fields and continuity battles and all that fun stuff that kept most of us virgins past our prime..

Rob

I recall somewhere some comment from Gene Roddenberry saying that he wasn't wild about Franz Joseph Schnaubelt putting bowling alleys on the Enterprise. My recollection is that Roddenberry thought that after two hundred years and hundreds of planets, there must be more interesting activities for the crew and that bowling seemed just so 20th century North America and wasn't really "thinking outside the (recreational) box"
Old April 14 2009, 05:31 PM   #9
The Academic
Commander

Location: If there's a bright center to the universe, the place that it's farthest from...

When nuKirk took command of the U.S.S. Entreprise, he got rid of the bowling alley and replaced it with a basketball court...
Clark Ashton Smith: The Hashish Eater or The Apocalypse of Evil
The Academic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2009, 02:41 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

I recall somewhere some comment from Gene Roddenberry saying that he wasn't wild about Franz Joseph Schnaubelt putting bowling alleys on the Enterprise. My recollection is that Roddenberry thought that after two hundred years and hundreds of planets, there must be more interesting activities for the crew and that bowling seemed just so 20th century North America and wasn't really "thinking outside the (recreational) box"
Either that story is apocryphal or Roddenberry's memory failed him. In "The Naked Time," one of Kevin Riley's announcements was, "Attention, crew. This is Captain Riley. There will be a formal dance in the bowling alley at 1900 hours tonight." Granted, Riley wasn't quite in his right mind at the time, so perhaps it's not absolute proof of a shipboard bowling alley, but it does indicate that the idea didn't originate with Schnaubelt.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2009, 03:06 PM   #11
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Christopher wrote: View Post
Either that story is apocryphal or Roddenberry's memory failed him. In "The Naked Time," one of Kevin Riley's announcements was, "Attention, crew. This is Captain Riley. There will be a formal dance in the bowling alley at 1900 hours tonight." Granted, Riley wasn't quite in his right mind at the time, so perhaps it's not absolute proof of a shipboard bowling alley, but it does indicate that the idea didn't originate with Schnaubelt.
I don't remember the quote nor where I saw it, but I'm confident that Roddenberry didn't think Schnaubelt created the idea. I don't think there was any confusion on his part about the root source for these bowling alleys. But I'm pretty sure Roddenberry's notion was that Lieutenant Riley wasn't really in his right mind and a "ship's bowling alley" wasn't meant to be taken seriously--by the crew of the Enterprise or by the audience (or by Schnaubelt). And, even if, in 1966, Roddenberry really did think a bowling alley on the Enterprise made perfect sense, I'm thinking that Roddenberry was quite capable of backpedaling and, by 1975, could have changed his mind and could have thought a bowling alley was just too pedestrian. He changed his mind on other things.
Old April 15 2009, 07:12 PM   #12
Green Shirt
Commodore

...scotty probably was a 160 average bowler. Always trying harder, just couldn't ever get better.

Rob
Maybe a ball with just a thumb and one finger hole would have helped.