RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,270
Posts: 5,719,223
Members: 25,760
Currently online: 346
Newest member: rachelharis

TrekToday headlines

Smallwood: Creating The Xindi
By: T'Bonz on May 21

Greenwood Joins O.J. Simpson Series
By: T'Bonz on May 21

The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19

New Star Trek Costumes Book
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Takei Voices Space Alien
By: T'Bonz on May 19

August Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on May 18

Pine To Star In New Drama
By: T'Bonz on May 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Which Best Picture nominee in 2000 most deserved the Oscar?
Chocolat 2 6.45%
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 11 35.48%
Erin Brockovich 1 3.23%
Gladiator 8 25.81%
Traffic 9 29.03%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 1 2009, 02:44 AM   #1
Star Treks
Fleet Captain
 
Location: California
TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

22nd in a series of polls examining the opinion of you, the TrekBBS users. Which of the original five Academy Award nominees actually should have won? Up next: Best Picture, 2000... which nominee deserved the award most? Comments encouraged.
__________________
"Every time we let ourselves believe for unworthy reasons, we weakon our powers of self-control, of doubting, of judicially and fairly weighing evidence."

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 02:52 AM   #2
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral
 
DeafPoet's Avatar
 
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

Crouching Tiger by a country mile. Although Gladiator, which won, was almost as deserving.

As a side note, these threads are awesome, Star Treks, keep 'em coming!

Last edited by DeafPoet; March 1 2009 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Crouching Dragon is a sex position, not a movie.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 02:53 AM   #3
Star Treks
Fleet Captain
 
Location: California
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

I'll share my opinion, because I actually know the movies of this year pretty well: of the nominees, I was rooting hard for Traffic and Gladiator didn't work well for me (and I am a big Ridley Scott fan). Of course, no offense intended to those who disagree - just my own take. Some would probably argue that there were other movies in 2000 more deserving of a nomination than some that were ultimately picked - Memento and O Brother come to mind.

Thanks for the encouragement, DeafPoet. I'm enjoying doing these threads. Also enjoyed your reason for editing your post.
__________________
"Every time we let ourselves believe for unworthy reasons, we weakon our powers of self-control, of doubting, of judicially and fairly weighing evidence."

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 02:54 AM   #4
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

I only saw two movies, but I'm not sure why Gladiator was not only nominated but won! Sure it was a fun movie -- like, for example, Ghost -- but why was it a Best Picture nominee? Like Ghost!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 02:55 AM   #5
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral
 
DeafPoet's Avatar
 
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

Star Treks wrote: View Post
I'll share my opinion, because I actually know the movies of this year pretty well: of the nominees, I was rooting hard for Traffic and I've always thought Gladiator was overrated (and I am a big Ridley Scott fan). Some would probably argue that there were other movies in 2000 more deserving of a nomination than some that were ultimately picked - Memento and O Brother come to mind.
I forgot about the other good movies that year. I hated, hated, hated O, Brother but Memento was a gem. Was Magnolia 2000 or was it '99? 'Cause that would be a contender.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 02:57 AM   #6
Star Treks
Fleet Captain
 
Location: California
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

DeafPoet wrote: View Post
Star Treks wrote: View Post
I'll share my opinion, because I actually know the movies of this year pretty well: of the nominees, I was rooting hard for Traffic and I've always thought Gladiator was overrated (and I am a big Ridley Scott fan). Some would probably argue that there were other movies in 2000 more deserving of a nomination than some that were ultimately picked - Memento and O Brother come to mind.
I forgot about the other good movies that year. I hated, hated, hated O, Brother but Memento was a gem. Was Magnolia 2000 or was it '99? 'Cause that would be a contender.
Magnolia was nominated in '99 (though not for best picture). But I would have picked it over any of the 2000 nominees (or any of the '99 nominees for that matter).

Not positive, but think Requiem for a Dream was eligible this year, as well; another very fine take on drugs, far more disturbing than Traffic and probably the more enduring film as well.
__________________
"Every time we let ourselves believe for unworthy reasons, we weakon our powers of self-control, of doubting, of judicially and fairly weighing evidence."

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 03:14 AM   #7
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral
 
DeafPoet's Avatar
 
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

Star Treks wrote: View Post
DeafPoet wrote: View Post
Star Treks wrote: View Post
I'll share my opinion, because I actually know the movies of this year pretty well: of the nominees, I was rooting hard for Traffic and I've always thought Gladiator was overrated (and I am a big Ridley Scott fan). Some would probably argue that there were other movies in 2000 more deserving of a nomination than some that were ultimately picked - Memento and O Brother come to mind.
I forgot about the other good movies that year. I hated, hated, hated O, Brother but Memento was a gem. Was Magnolia 2000 or was it '99? 'Cause that would be a contender.
Magnolia was nominated in '99 (though not for best picture). But I would have picked it over any of the 2000 nominees (or any of the '99 nominees for that matter).

Not positive, but think Requiem for a Dream was eligible this year, as well; another very fine take on drugs, far more disturbing than Traffic and probably the more enduring film as well.
I agree that Requiem and Traffic aren't even in the same league but I'm not as enamored with Requiem as some seem to be. There's such a thing as too bleak. And this is coming from a guy who loves BSG and wants it to be darker
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 03:19 AM   #8
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral
 
Kira's Mom's Avatar
 
Location: Kira's Mom is in Virginia
View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

I voted for nothing. I only liked Gladiator and Erin Brockovich, and neither was worthy of Best Picture.

I really didn't care much for Crouching Tiger. It bored me.
__________________
“Whatever happened to a nice cup of tea and a civilized interrogation?” Agent Carter
Etsy shop
Kira's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 03:27 AM   #9
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral
 
DeafPoet's Avatar
 
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

Kira's Mom wrote: View Post

I really didn't care much for Crouching Tiger. It bored me.
But... but... it had people fighting with swords while flying through bamboo! What's not to like?!

Seriously though, I can see why it's not everyone's bag. You have to be into kung-fu movies and suspend a metric fuck-load of disbelief.

As a side thought, is this the first and only time a foreign language film has been nominated for Best Pic? I can't think of any others but I have a goldfish-style memory.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 03:40 AM   #10
T'Baio
Admiral
 
T'Baio's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

I voted for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but I am perfectly pleased with Traffic. It was a great film. I wish Soderbergh had won his director trophy for this instead of Brockovich. Isn't that how it went? He won director for Brokovich but film for Traffic?
__________________
Making my first feature film, Synchronicity
www.synchronicityfilm.ca
IndieGoGo
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 05:26 AM   #11
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

T'Baio wrote: View Post
I voted for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but I am perfectly pleased with Traffic. It was a great film. I wish Soderbergh had won his director trophy for this instead of Brockovich. Isn't that how it went? He won director for Brokovich but film for Traffic?
No, Gladiator won Best Picture and Soderbergh won Best Director for Traffic.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 05:43 AM   #12
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

For comparison, the top-rated films on IMDB eligible for Oscars in 2000 are:

Memento (8.7)
Requiem for a Dream (8.5)
Gladiator (8.3)
Snatch (8.2)
Almost Famous (8.0)
Dancer in the Dark (7.8)
O Brother, Where Art Thou (7.8)
Traffic (7.8)
You Can Count on Me (7.7)
High Fidelity (7.6)
Remember the Titans (7.5)
Wonder Boys (7.5)
American Psycho (7.4)
Best in Show (7.4)
Cast Away (7.4)
The Emperor's New Groove (7.4)
X-Men (7.4)
Chicken Run (7.3)
Chocolat (7.3)
Frequency (7.3)
Quills (7.3)
Thirteen Days (7.3)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, one of the rare foreign language films to be nominated for Best Picture, scores an 8.1.

I was fine with Gladiator winning, but Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon gets my vote. Memento and Cast Away should have been nominated, though, and Cast Away would be my pick for the film that should have won.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 05:46 AM   #13
Star Treks
Fleet Captain
 
Location: California
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

That list reminds me.

I know it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but I absolutely adore Dancer in the Dark... it's one of my all-time favorite films, even though it's so wrenching I've only managed to watch it all the way through twice. Every aspect of this movie was utterly stunning and near-perfect. If I gave out awards, it would have been my movie of the year.
__________________
"Every time we let ourselves believe for unworthy reasons, we weakon our powers of self-control, of doubting, of judicially and fairly weighing evidence."

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Star Treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 07:01 AM   #14
T'Baio
Admiral
 
T'Baio's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

Gladiator won Best Picture?

Ugh...that's horrible.
__________________
Making my first feature film, Synchronicity
www.synchronicityfilm.ca
IndieGoGo
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2009, 08:19 AM   #15
Thrall
Commodore
 
Thrall's Avatar
 
Location: A Quesada Free Zone.
Re: TreKBBS Academy Awards #22: Best Picture, 2000

Takes me back. This was when The Academy nominated films people actually saw.
__________________
"Spider-Man doesn't have fans. He has people who follow him. Like Jesus. Now I have fans! People who adore and worship every little thing I do or say. Like David Koresh. Or The Jonas Brothers."
Thrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.