Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 14 2010, 10:34 PM   #31
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: Operation – Annihilate: Operation – Stay Awake

A mixed bunch of opinions here. I remember disliking it and was not looking forward to the rewatch. Having just rewatched it, I enjoyed it.

The "farting flying omelettes" don't even look that cheesy when you keep in mind it was fimed in 1967. Nice to see a rare non-humanoid life-form in the Trek universe.

The location sets were good and don't look overly dated.

As already mentioned the Vulcan "inner-eyelid" was a bit of a sigh moment. Might have been nice if they carried Spock's blindness over. As this was a season final้ it could have been solved in the premiere of the second season. Oh no, that's just reminded me my next watch is Catspaw.
Old January 14 2010, 10:44 PM   #32
Hambone
Fleet Captain

I watched Operation: Annihilate yesterday and I still enjoy it (except for the final wrap-up, where once again, the bridge crew all get a chuckle).

MikeS wrote: View Post
Oh no, that's just reminded me my next watch is Catspaw.
Wait until October 31 to watch it. There's no doubt this "tongue-in-cheek" episode is Star Trek's Halloween entry (the original airdate was October 27, 1967).
Old January 14 2010, 10:50 PM   #33
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I know that, but it would kind of interfere with my rewatching them in order from the beginning to end.

I'm trying to race through the first couple of seasons because I've seen most of these. Season 3 TOS is the only virgin Trek territory I have left in any series. Will be kind of sad when I've popped that cherry. Something I will never get back
Old January 14 2010, 10:55 PM   #34
TheKeeper
Commander

Hambone wrote: View Post
I watched Operation: Annihilate yesterday and I still enjoy it (except for the final wrap-up, where once again, the bridge crew all get a chuckle).

MikeS wrote: View Post
Oh no, that's just reminded me my next watch is Catspaw.
Wait until October 31 to watch it. There's no doubt this "tongue-in-cheek" episode is Star Trek's Halloween entry (the original airdate was October 27, 1967).
Whatever the problems with Operation: Annihilate, I'd rather watch the Perilous Pancakes of Pain again than have to sit through Catspaw.
TheKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 11:33 PM   #35
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
It's interesting to see the TRW employees watching the filming from the walkway overhead. I wonder if it was hard to keep them quiet during takes?
There was so much ambient noise during the location shooting that all the actors had to dub their lines back in anyway ("looping"), so if a spectator had sneezed or coughed in the middle of a take, it wouldn't have made any difference.
plynch wrote: View Post
Great pics. I have always thought it looked like a "modern" community college, myself. And the dudes in white, short-sleeve dress shirts -- I can almost see the slide rules and pocket protectors from here. (No offense -- thanks for the space program, people!)
A lot of fans thought the location was a college campus. Here's a link to a screencap of a well-composed shot, with the walkway in the foreground blocking out the TRW logo on the tall white building.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewfeinberg/2290231332/
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 11:38 PM   #36
scotpens
Vice Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
My kids and I used to call the creatures "booger bats" by the way.
Booger bats!
That's funny. Someone should compile a list of all the descriptive terms for those airborne giant-neuron parasite critters. "Flying fake vomit" would probably be at the top.

To me, they look like eggs over easy made by a drunken cook.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2010, 05:25 AM   #37
paustin
Commander

can you link the picture of the employees watching the filming. I couldnt find any on their homepage.
Old October 1 2010, 11:03 PM   #38
Stompy
Lieutenant Commander

NG just did a big article in their company newsletter with some great pics I've never seen before

http://www.as.northropgrumman.com/me...ugust_2010.pdf
www.jamesdarren.com
Stompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2010, 02:33 PM   #39
A.V.I.A.F.
Captain

Steve67 wrote: View Post
For the most part, I really like it! The Mid-Century Modern college(?) is, too use a term of the period, "Far Out." It's an intense episode. I just think they shouldn't have brought Kirk's family into it. "Sam"? Ugh. The drama with Spock was more than enough what with his going blind. And I liked that curvy junior officer? I forget her name...Yeoman Zahra!

Now if I could only stay awake during "The Immunity Syndrome"!
Regarding Immunity Syndrome, I kind of liked the fact that we are kept in the dark for the better part of the episode as to who or what the "bad guy" will be in this episode. Here is a link to a clever play on that episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ir6Orvd1s
A.V.I.A.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2010, 07:35 PM   #40
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Bdry73 wrote: View Post
Steve67 wrote: View Post
For the most part, I really like it! The Mid-Century Modern college(?) is, too use a term of the period, "Far Out." It's an intense episode. I just think they shouldn't have brought Kirk's family into it. "Sam"? Ugh. The drama with Spock was more than enough what with his going blind. And I liked that curvy junior officer? I forget her name...Yeoman Zahra!

Now if I could only stay awake during "The Immunity Syndrome"!
Regarding Immunity Syndrome, I kind of liked the fact that we are kept in the dark for the better part of the episode as to who or what the "bad guy" will be in this episode. Here is a link to a clever play on that episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ir6Orvd1s
^^

@ that link:
Old October 5 2010, 07:03 PM   #41
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Stompy wrote: View Post
NG just did a big article in their company newsletter with some great pics I've never seen before

Thanks for the link. That's an interesting article, and fun pictures. I did notice a typo in the article, where they stated that Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Doohan, Nichols, and Takei were all on location at the park. Obviously, Kelley, Nichols and Takei did not appear in any location shots for this episode. However, we see Kelley in costume in the pictures. Why was he there?

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 12:23 AM   #42
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Thanks for the link. That's an interesting article, and fun pictures. I did notice a typo in the article, where they stated that Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Doohan, Nichols, and Takei were all on location at the park. Obviously, Kelley, Nichols and Takei did not appear in any location shots for this episode. However, we see Kelley in costume in the pictures. Why was he there?

Doug

Kirk
Spock
McCoy
Scotty
Zahra
Bobby
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 03:10 AM   #43
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I've always referred to this episode as "Attack of the Flying Electric Pancakes".
DS9 CapCon #99: Major Pain for Quark
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 08:15 PM   #44
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post

Doug

Kirk
Spock
McCoy
Scotty
Zahra
Bobby
Oops! I just knew I must have forgotten Kelley. I'm still correct that Nichols and Takei didn't appear on the planet, right?

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2010, 04:27 PM   #45
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Kirk
Spock
McCoy
Scotty
and Ensign Ricky.

"Ah crap."