Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 25 2009, 05:22 AM   #1
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Status of Cardassia

What is the status of Cardassia after the war, i haven't read any books that go beyond the war? I figured the fans in this section would know. Are they under occupation, divided up, or what? Also, what of Breen? Thanks
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 05:47 AM   #2
shanejayell
Captain

Re: Status of Cardassia

After the Dominion War or the recent Borg conflict?

If you mean Dominion they're rebuilding from the Dominion's attempt to kill the planet's population and getting aide from the Federation.
shanejayell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 05:54 AM   #3
DeVario
Commodore

Still rebuilding and receiving aid. A democratic government has also been formed, and is being led by Alon Ghemor.
DeVario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 06:02 AM   #4
EmperorTiberius
Captain

shanejayell wrote: View Post
After the Dominion War or the recent Borg conflict?

If you mean Dominion they're rebuilding from the Dominion's attempt to kill the planet's population and getting aide from the Federation.
After the Dominion War. I haven't been reading anything that goes past the final episode, so I'm unaware of the Borg conflicts either.

DeVario wrote: View Post
Still rebuilding and receiving aid. A democratic government has also been formed, and is being led by Alon Ghemor.
Are they still a large Union with their own military and sovereignty? How did the Klingons and Romulans give up their holdings. I can see the Federation doing it, but not the other two.

And what of the Breen? Did they just retreat?
Old February 25 2009, 06:12 AM   #5
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

Ghemor was assassinated.

The Federation actually ceded 3-4 planets to the Cardassians in exchange for their help against the Borg. At least as of 2381, Garak is the Cardassian Ambassador to the Federation. We do not yet know who is in charge of the Cardassian government.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 06:12 AM   #6
shanejayell
Captain

Because the majority of the Cardassians turned on the Dominion it looks like the Federation has forgiven them. Mostly, anyway. Go read the DS9 books starting from Avatar, they cover the cardassian situation.
shanejayell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 06:21 AM   #7
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

As far as the Breen, they were relatively quiet until the beginning of 2381. The Breen military were paid by the Ferengi to fight alongside the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and other minor races as they attempted to halt the Borg invasion.

After the Borg crisis, the Breen joined with the Tholians, the Romulan Star Empire, the Gorn, the Tzenkethi, and the Kinshaya (a new race that is relatively unknown to anyone except the Klingons) to form a counter to the Federation known as the Typhon Pact. These states now have a common currency and a military alliance. Not much else is yet known.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 06:37 AM   #8
EmperorTiberius
Captain

LutherSloan wrote: View Post
As far as the Breen, they were relatively quiet until the beginning of 2381. The Breen military were paid by the Ferengi to fight alongside the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and other minor races as they attempted to halt the Borg invasion.

After the Borg crisis, the Breen joined with the Tholians, the Romulan Star Empire, the Gorn, the Tzenkethi, and the Kinshaya (a new race that is relatively unknown to anyone except the Klingons) to form a counter to the Federation known as the Typhon Pact. These states now have a common currency and a military alliance. Not much else is yet known.

wow, thanks, looks like the Feds are in trouble, I'll try to catch up on all this somehow
Old February 25 2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Ghemor was assassinated.
I didn't catch that... though I was afraid it would happen.

Which book is it in? What happened?

I hoped he'd get to retire... he tried so hard...

I kinda assumed something had happened when the leader of Cardassia was called "her" I think at one point? Or am I dreaming up stuff.

Specifically, there is a book in DS9PF vol...1 I believe called Worlds of DS9- Cardassia... and it has a name, which I can't remember, but there are 2 stories in that book... anyway, about post-D-war Cardassia. And an upcoming one, the Never Ending Sacrifice.
Vote: RA Avatar Contest #21!
"He sings lounges? I'm not familiar with that musical form."
-Taran'atar, DS9-R Mission Gamma 3 --Save Taran'atar!
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

Ghemor was assassinated.

The Federation actually ceded 3-4 planets to the Cardassians in exchange for their help against the Borg. At least as of 2381, Garak is the Cardassian Ambassador to the Federation. We do not yet know who is in charge of the Cardassian government.

Three possibilities present themselves to me as to who is the new Castellan of Cardassia is, but I will need to wait until after the Soul Key and the never ending sacrifice to get conformation.

It's good to see Garak doing what he does best and given his previous experiences with Starfleet and the UFP it's a pretty good posting for him. The question I have is this; is there a Cardassian Ambassador to the Klingon Empire?

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Astraea
Commander

Marie1 wrote: View Post
Ghemor was assassinated.

I kinda assumed something had happened when the leader of Cardassia was called "her" I think at one point? Or am I dreaming up stuff.

Specifically, there is a book in DS9PF vol...1 I believe called Worlds of DS9- Cardassia... and it has a name, which I can't remember, but there are 2 stories in that book... anyway, about post-D-war Cardassia. And an upcoming one, the Never Ending Sacrifice.
Ghemor's assassination is referenced in Andrew Robinson's story in the Prophecy and Change anthology.
Old February 25 2009, 04:12 PM   #12
LightningStorm
The Borg King

shanejayell wrote: View Post
Go read the DS9 books starting from Avatar, they cover the cardassian situation.
Indeed, as they are great books. Although, if all you care about is the Cardassians all you need is:
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Prophecy and Change: The Calling (short story)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness (brings back an important Cardassian)
  • Worlds of DS9: Cardassia: The Lotus Flower
  • Articles of the Federation (not a DS9 book)
  • The Never Ending Sacrifice (coming later this year)

I'd throw in there Avatar and Unity as well, because they're fairly big setups for everything, but strictly Cardassian speaking I suppose those are skippable. I'd also throw in Warpath, Fearful Symmetry and The Soul Key because of Illiana Ghemor, but throwing those in and suddenly you'd need to pretty much read them all, plus those don't deal as much with the state of Cardassia after the Dominion so much as they deal with one Cardassian in particular and the Mirror Universe.

For all the stuff you're seeing about the Borg and Typhon Pact... none of that is in DS9 books. Those are the Post-Nemesis TNG books and the Destiny Trilogy and several books that follow-up the events of the Destiny Trilogy.
Old February 25 2009, 05:27 PM   #13
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
What is the status of Cardassia after the war, i haven't read any books that go beyond the war? I figured the fans in this section would know. Are they under occupation, divided up, or what? Also, what of Breen? Thanks
I saw a reference to "former Cardassian territories" in Over a Torrent Sea, so it does seem there was some territorial loss. What I'm not clear on is whether that's a loss as compared to their expansion during the Dominion War, or whether that refers to their pre-war borders.
Old February 25 2009, 06:54 PM   #14
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Astraea wrote: View Post
Marie1 wrote: View Post
Ghemor was assassinated.

Ghemor's assassination is referenced in Andrew Robinson's story in the Prophecy and Change anthology.
Well... crap! I was really hoping that wouldn't happen. He seemed like a nice guy. Other than IG and him, is there any Ghemor's left around? It'd be nice if there were.

I keep thinking (clearly I've lost my mind) that I've read P&C, but its TotDW... I reasonably sure I haven't read P&C before, I'm sure I would have noticed that. Boo!

Thanks for the info.
Vote: RA Avatar Contest #21!
"He sings lounges? I'm not familiar with that musical form."
-Taran'atar, DS9-R Mission Gamma 3 --Save Taran'atar!
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I saw a reference to "former Cardassian territories" in Over a Torrent Sea, so it does seem there was some territorial loss. What I'm not clear on is whether that's a loss as compared to their expansion during the Dominion War, or whether that refers to their pre-war borders.
Actually I meant the Bajoran system. It was in reference to the Chandir, my name for the "Tailhead" aliens often seen in the background on DS9. The line was that "Chandir civilians were often seen on worlds and stations in the Federation’s rimward sectors and in former Cardassian territory." Which encompasses the appearance of Tailheads in TNG's "Tapestry" as well as DS9.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote