Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 24 2009, 11:59 PM   #1
RikerLover
Lieutenant Commander

Submissions to Pocket Books

I've got an idea for a story that, at the moment, I haven't entire fleshed out. I was wondering how I would go about submitting it to Pocket Books or Simon & Schuster.
RikerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile
Re: Submissions to Pocket Books

Here's the link to the submission guidelines, now that the new S&S site is kinda sorta underway:

Star Trek: Novel Submission Guidelines

A few particulars might be dated here and there (it still refers to the SNW contests, for example), but it's still looks largely to be current so far as the really important stuff is concerned.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 12:24 AM   #3
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

Hmm, interesting. I didn't know they were still accepting open submissions like this. Thanks for the link.

Sean
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 12:33 AM   #4
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

Be sure to read the guidelines carefully. It's not an "open submissions" policy with respect to the novels. The SNW-related information is out of date, and no longer valid.

This part is a key component to keep in mind:

Due to the overwhelming number of submissions that we receive, Pocket Books can only accept agented manuscripts.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 12:46 AM   #5
RikerLover
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you Dayton. My idea is for a Titan story which I gather hasn't changed from only established Trek writers' being able to submit manuscripts.
RikerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 12:59 AM   #6
Christopher
Writer

^^Nobody would be able to submit a manuscript for something like Titan. The spec outline and sample chapters you submit are really more a test of your writing ability, as well as your ability to follow the instructions laid out in the guidelines. If you pass that test, then the editor may offer you a shot at a different project, or invite you to pitch a new proposal. It would be rather unusual for a spec outline to end up as a published book. And of course you shouldn't write a whole manuscript in advance, just the outline and sample chapters.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 01:15 AM   #7
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
Be sure to read the guidelines carefully. It's not an "open submissions" policy with respect to the novels. The SNW-related information is out of date, and no longer valid.

This part is a key component to keep in mind:

Due to the overwhelming number of submissions that we receive, Pocket Books can only accept agented manuscripts.
Ah-ha! Got it, thanks.

Sean
Old February 25 2009, 01:21 AM   #8
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Also, as has been noted on here in the past by Christopher and others, it's actually a lot harder getting a gig writing Trek than it is getting a gig writing original stuff, at least in terms of the ratio between people that want to get that job and people that actually do. If you're an aspiring writer, it's probably a much better idea to aim for original things than try to restrict your possibilities to one publishing line with limited spots and many well-respected authors already filling them.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 01:35 AM   #9
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

Yes, I'll continue to pursue publishing my original stuff. Thanks.

I had mistakenly thought that Pocket books had reverted back to an open submissions policy (assuming it ever had one; I'm not sure), until Dayton cleared that point up for me.

Thanks again to everybody. I'll now rewrite the few Trek story ideas I had into original stories.

Sean
Old February 25 2009, 01:55 AM   #10
Christopher
Writer

USS Kongo wrote: View Post
I'll now rewrite the few Trek story ideas I had into original stories.
Just make sure they really are original in their characters and approach. SF editors already get plenty of submissions that are obvious Trek stories with the names changed, and those get rejected right away.

Old February 25 2009, 02:15 AM   #11
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I did that, and I still keep getting rejected by Asimov's! What, is Commander John Perk of the NSEA Endeavour and his battles against the devious Remulans and the reptillian Rorn not original enough? Who ever heard of the Rorn? This stuff is great!
Old February 25 2009, 03:59 AM   #12
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
USS Kongo wrote: View Post
I'll now rewrite the few Trek story ideas I had into original stories.
Just make sure they really are original in their characters and approach. SF editors already get plenty of submissions that are obvious Trek stories with the names changed, and those get rejected right away.
Yep. I changed the name of my hero to Captain John Perk.

No, seriously, I've been busy working on a background for the past few years for my stories. I've just recently started writing, now.

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
I did that, and I still keep getting rejected by Asimov's! What, is Commander John Perk of the NSEA Endeavour and his battles against the devious Remulans and the reptillian Rorn not original enough? Who ever heard of the Rorn? This stuff is great!
Oh, wait...uh, you're using John Perk? Looks like I'm gonna have to change the name again.

Sean
Old February 25 2009, 06:36 AM   #13
EmperorTiberius
Captain

RikerLover wrote: View Post
Thank you Dayton. My idea is for a Titan story which I gather hasn't changed from only established Trek writers' being able to submit manuscripts.

I just read the requirements and they say that you can't submit anything post-Nemesis.

^^Nobody would be able to submit a manuscript for something like Titan. The spec outline and sample chapters you submit are really more a test of your writing ability, as well as your ability to follow the instructions laid out in the guidelines. If you pass that test, then the editor may offer you a shot at a different project, or invite you to pitch a new proposal. It would be rather unusual for a spec outline to end up as a published book. And of course you shouldn't write a whole manuscript in advance, just the outline and sample chapters.
Thanks, that's interesting info. Just how much do writers get paid? I imagine they earn a few percent from royalties, but how well do ST books sell? Do they make a good living doing that?
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2009, 03:12 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

The main money we make is from advances; you don't see any money from royalties until they pay off the advance, and for Trek books that could take many years if ever. For Trek novels, the advances are better than is typical in publishing, to compensate for the fact that the royalties are a smaller percentage (due to there being more people getting a cut).

You can almost never make a good living from writing alone. I'm making a passable living at it, but only because I have a modest lifestyle and I've been pretty prolific in recent years. Plan on keeping your day job.

Old February 25 2009, 05:40 PM   #15
EmperorTiberius
Captain

The main money we make is from advances; you don't see any money from royalties until they pay off the advance, and for Trek books that could take many years if ever. For Trek novels, the advances are better than is typical in publishing, to compensate for the fact that the royalties are a smaller percentage (due to there being more people getting a cut).

You can almost never make a good living from writing alone. I'm making a passable living at it, but only because I have a modest lifestyle and I've been pretty prolific in recent years. Plan on keeping your day job.
Thanks for the info, I guess you should write for the love of it, and not the money, which is very Star Trek like
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote