New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 49 67.12%
Above Average 18 24.66%
Average 4 5.48%
Below Average 2 2.74%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 28 2009, 12:41 AM   #91
zengoth
Fleet Captain

Re: Lost 5x07: "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
If the island is a chunk of a "Solaris" type sentient planet that crash-landed on Earth eons ago, and its "magic" properties are simply natural qualities of its species (and it fashions creatures like Eloise and Jacob in order to communicate with humans - being far too alien to communicate directly) then Hydra could just be a smaller chunk of the same entity that crash-landed in the Pacific. Maybe there was a whole meteor-storm of chunks which explains all the other areas on the planet that were mentioned as having similar properties.
i don't know how i'll feel if an extraterrestrial presence ends up being a part of the big answer. (What was the Stephen King story - the Langoliers? - that including planes and aliens...?) Time travel and its physics is working ok for me right now.

But the fact that both islands seem to disappear at the same @the end of S4 tells me they have the same "powers". Perhaps there will be found a tunnel that goes from under one island to the other...
Old February 28 2009, 01:12 AM   #92
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm almost positive the Blast Door Map or the game version says there IS a subway tunnel from Hydra to the other Stations. There's a subway system going throughout the entire Island they just haven't shown it yet.

Old February 28 2009, 01:19 AM   #93
Gertch
Admiral

I just watched the episode again with my daughter. I was trying to pay more attention to the dialog and acting when Ben and Locke are together.

It now seems to me that Ben realized what he had to kill Locke when Locke said he wasn't going to get Sun to go back. Ben knows they all need to return. And this is his best chance of getting back.

Also, Ben does admit he knows Hawking. So I don't think that was the reason he killed Locke.
Old February 28 2009, 06:52 AM   #94
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Well if it was the Hatch that brought the plane down as Desmond thinks (because he didn't push the buttons on time) and that seems very likely given the timing, etc... Then the plane crash already wasn't normal (like those caused by an explosion on board or engine or structure failure) so we can't fully compare this 815 crash to a real plane crash.
In both cases, the planes crashed because the island wanted it to happen. I think poor Des was just a means to an end - it was never really his fault.

Also, if it was the magnetic anomaly that cause the plane to crash, then the magnetic fields of the island and the anomaly could have caused the midsection of the plane to crash at a slower speed then a normal plane crash would, thus allowing for more survivors.
But we actually saw the tail section slam into the water at high speed, and there's no way people could have survive that, much less uninjured and able to swim, if they'd been in the tail section at the time. That rules out levitation as a theory for anyone's survival but I haven't seen anything that rules out teleportation (and it wouldn't be too hard to whomp up a theory why teleportation happens because the island manipulates electromagnetic fields etc).

i don't know how i'll feel if an extraterrestrial presence ends up being a part of the big answer.
I think there needs to be some stab at any explanation for all the anomalies - overenthusiastic magnetic fields and the like doesn't seem out there enough to really cover it.

I'm almost positive the Blast Door Map or the game version says there IS a subway tunnel from Hydra to the other Stations. There's a subway system going throughout the entire Island they just haven't shown it yet.
Oh definitely. I'm hoping the tunnels go all over the planet and link up to the other power points.
Old February 28 2009, 04:02 PM   #95
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ We saw Ben go into a tunnel under his house when he activated the smoke monster.
Old February 28 2009, 04:09 PM   #96
Gertch
Admiral

^ We've also seen Lostzilla go into two different tunnels as well.
Old February 28 2009, 05:08 PM   #97
Mr Light
Admiral

There's the Cerebus Vents and then there's the Dharma subway tunnels. I'm almost positive they're two separate things, since they wouldn't want Smokey cruisin' past their subway cars

Old February 28 2009, 05:11 PM   #98
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

What you're calling "subway tunnels" have never been referred as such. The Blast Door map called them subterranean conduits.

That being said, I agree that the subterranean conduits and the Cerberus vents are two different things.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Old February 28 2009, 05:33 PM   #99
Gertch
Admiral

They're both holes, in the ground. Some just steeper than others.
Old February 28 2009, 08:06 PM   #100
Mr Light
Admiral

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Emer...scape_Protocol http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Subterranean_conduit Although according to this, Alex says in "Not in Portland" there is NO tunnel between Hydra and the Island. Still, what else is EEP but an underground subway tunnel for emergency evacuations? Also, recall that Ben and Juliet magically appeared and disappeared from the Pearl in "Expose", and that the Staff had an "Escape Hatch" in it.

Old March 1 2009, 05:35 PM   #101
Bak_and_Blue
Captain

A question no one has addressed. What was that little flash at the very beginning of the episode where Caesar is rooting around in the Dharma Station. It's like there was a small time discontinuity and at the same time a red filter was put over the camera lens. In that time Caesar finds a gun under a table and stuffs it in his sack. Then the girl comes in, asks him what's he put in the sack and there is the little time blip again and the red filter comes off. Caesar pulls a flashlight out of his sack.
It's like there was a blip of violence-- I know that doesn't make much sense, but that was the gist I got out of.
So, what was up with that? I know that wasn't just a mistake in editing. LOST doesn't make those kinds of mistakes.
Old March 1 2009, 07:37 PM   #102
Mallet
Fleet Captain

Bak_and_Blue wrote: View Post
A question no one has addressed. What was that little flash at the very beginning of the episode where Caesar is rooting around in the Dharma Station. It's like there was a small time discontinuity and at the same time a red filter was put over the camera lens. In that time Caesar finds a gun under a table and stuffs it in his sack. Then the girl comes in, asks him what's he put in the sack and there is the little time blip again and the red filter comes off. Caesar pulls a flashlight out of his sack.
It's like there was a blip of violence-- I know that doesn't make much sense, but that was the gist I got out of.
So, what was up with that? I know that wasn't just a mistake in editing. LOST doesn't make those kinds of mistakes.
I didn't notice anything like that and I haven't seen anyone else mention anything like that at this or any other Lost site I've been to. Are you sure it wasn't just your TV?
Old March 1 2009, 08:41 PM   #103
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I didn't notice that either. Sounds like a television problem.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Old March 1 2009, 11:24 PM   #104
biotech
Vice Admiral

No blips, no red.
Old March 5 2009, 02:02 AM   #105
Mr Light
Admiral

New information from the pop-up video rerun: it was BEN'S OFFICE that Caesar was rifling through at the opening of the episode, and the papers he found included a map to the Temple and a list of physics formulas.