MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 49 67.12%
Above Average 18 24.66%
Average 4 5.48%
Below Average 2 2.74%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 26 2009, 04:14 PM   #46
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Lost 5x07: "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"

Above average. I was pleasantly surprised by this episode. I was growing weary of the mainland story and this episode seemed like it would be backtracking over the mainland stuff. It's a tribute their storytelling abilities that this one kept my interest.

There was some new stuff (the new plane crash survivors) and surprising twists (how John died), and things are put in a new light. It was not a knock-out episode but it was thoroughly entertaining and it seemed to add to the ongoing storyline. A very solid above average. (To have been an excellent it would've had to move the plot forward by answering questions, not just raising new ones.)

Mr Awe
Old February 26 2009, 04:18 PM   #47
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I can't decide between 'excellent' and 'above average', so I'll go with 'above average'. It was one hell of a ride, but it felt rushed for an episode of Lost and a lot of the story was just glossed over even if you could say that we got what we needed. The life and death of Jeremy Bentham was too quick.
I gave it an above average too. But, no, the speed of covering Jeremy Bentham's life was not a problem. They got that one just right. The mainland stuff was getting a bit worn. If they dragged it out, it would've just detracted. It was great that we got some new stuff on the island to look forward to. That definitely added to this story and would've been a loss to cut it to elaborate more on John's mainland adventures.

Mr Awe
Old February 26 2009, 04:31 PM   #48
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I just can't buy Widmore as the good guy.
At this point, I don't think either is good. They each have their own, individual agenda. They both are manipulating others to try to reach their personal goals. And, both are attempting to manipulate the island's will to their own ends. "I'll help you get your people back to the island." "No, *I'll* help you!"

It's a struggle between the 2 to get back in good graces with the island. Everyone else is caught between them and the island.

Mr Awe
Old February 26 2009, 04:43 PM   #49
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Is reincarnation what makes Locke special?

Does Hurley & the numbers affect probability?

Is Walt a precog?

Is that what makes each of them special?
Old February 26 2009, 04:55 PM   #50
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: the timing of Widmore's exile

I'm sure that Widmore had a cover life off the Island for decades, just as we know Ben routinely visited the outside world and had fifty passports. It was during this time that he created the Widmore Corporation and fathered Penny. Then, I would imagine in 1992 in the Purge, Ben conned him into Donkey Wheeling the Island. Once Ben proved his worthiness to the Others with his participation in the Purge, they sent him to Jacob's Cabin to get "further instructions". Ben, realizing only he can could hear Jacob, played his card and claimed that Jacob said for Widmore to Donkey Wheel the Island so Dharma couldn't find it again. And thus Ben became the leader of the Others and kept Jacob a prisoner. This is why, when Locke is taken to see Jacob, Jacob says "help me", and why Ben tries to kill Locke because Jacob spoke to him.

Uh, this reminds me, I'm so pissed we haven't seen Jacob since 4X1. Seeing Christian just is not as exciting.

Old February 26 2009, 05:27 PM   #51
LitmusDragon
Commodore

So whats going to happen to Ben now that he's returned to the Island? Didn't he say in the season 4 finale that he could not return once he'd donkey-wheeled? Presumably this is why Widmore can't return as well.

I'm not sure if this is a plot hole, Ben being a liar again, or if there will be actual consequences.

Was Charlotte's death earlier in the season setting a precedent for what happens to people who return against the Island's wishes?
Old February 26 2009, 05:32 PM   #52
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Uh, this reminds me, I'm so pissed we haven't seen Jacob since 4X1. Seeing Christian just is not as exciting.
We saw Christian in the cabin in 4x01, not Jacob. I don't think we've seen Jacob since season 3.
Old February 26 2009, 05:55 PM   #53
Mr Light
Admiral

We saw Jacob's eye for a split second in 4X1. When Hurley looks in the window at Christian in the rocking chair, Jacob's face appears at the window suddenly looking at him.

Old February 26 2009, 07:05 PM   #54
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Excellent.

I don't think Ben or Widmore are good. They are fighting for control of the Island and its incredible powers. Nobody should have control of the Island.

In the final episode, I expect Jack to use the Frozen Donkey Wheel to send the Island someplace where nobody can follow...for that to happen, we'd need a bit more info on the "rules" of how it moves, but plenty of time for that.

It's great the way they can make Oahu look like anyplace, even Tunisia.

My tape cut out at the very end, when the new guy was describing what happened during the crash to Locke. He was about to say something about Hurley - lemme guess, all the people who were "supposed" to return vanished in front of his eyes? Which would finally explain how so many of them survived the 815 crash - they didn't crash, they were teleported to the beach (unnecessary this time since the crash looked like a survivable crash-landing rather than a catastrophic mid-air break-up).

Someday they really do need to show us what precisely happened during the 815 crash. Kate claims to remember the whole thing.
Old February 26 2009, 07:10 PM   #55
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
My tape cut out at the very end, when the new guy was describing what happened during the crash to Locke. He was about to say something about Hurley - lemme guess, all the people who were "supposed" to return vanished in front of his eyes?
More or less. New Guy said that everyone was accounted for except those who disappeared and those who were injured. When Locke inquired about the latter group, New Guy took him to them and they find Ben there.

Incidentally, Ben acting against the island's wishes totally explains the whole tumor thing.
Old February 26 2009, 07:20 PM   #56
Mr Light
Admiral

The other big question I forgot about, Widmore said there was a war coming. Between who? Him and Ben? Sounds too small. The outside world coming for the Island's miracle powers? Is Widmore trying to protect the Island from the outside world, which is the exact opposite of what Ben said he was trying to do? Is a third, heretofore unrevealed, party?

Old February 26 2009, 08:06 PM   #57
exodus
Fleet Admiral

The other big question I forgot about, Widmore said there was a war coming. Between who? Him and Ben? Sounds too small. The outside world coming for the Island's miracle powers? Is Widmore trying to protect the Island from the outside world, which is the exact opposite of what Ben said he was trying to do? Is a third, heretofore unrevealed, party?
How big does a war need to be?

Widmore & Ben are both powerful men that have resources
Old February 26 2009, 08:46 PM   #58
Agent Richard07
Admiral

We saw Jacob's eye for a split second in 4X1. When Hurley looks in the window at Christian in the rocking chair, Jacob's face appears at the window suddenly looking at him.
How do you know it's Jacob? It might be, it's just that as far as I know, we've never established who it was in these discussions, and I've never seen any source telling us who it was. I do remember a lot of us agreeing that it looked like Desmond though, even if it wasn't.
Old February 26 2009, 09:01 PM   #59
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

Trippy wrote: View Post
^he ordered it though...and he was a complete and total ass to Desmond...unless he did it to get Desmond to the island...still an ass though.
I thought that - and if Widmore is telling the truth and he even has his groupie to help him guide people towards their destiny, it's plausible. I also wondered if he's been following the survivors, if he'd been following Desmond too and only pretended to have no idea where he and Penny were, continuing the grudge to keep them same from Ben.

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
One thing I'd like to know though...did Frank remember the way off the island?
Good question - I never thought of that. Though I assume Franks gone to search for everyone they left behind. On a similar note... the boat Team Faraday found in the future, could that be Franks? And the boat following them be the 316'ers trying to capture them?

Walt's vision was that the 316 crew were trying to hurt Locke, while we've still to see that unfold, it might be logical to conclude that Ben might manipulate them (or maybe in retaliation of what they learn from Ben and/or Locke) so they go batshit crazy.

Did anyone else briefly think (between Ben stoppin the suicide and Ben completing the "suicide") that they faked his death with the ole "heart slowing injection" and he was alive all along?
I was wondering if that would come up - it's annoying me now as the only logical reason I can think for Paulo and Nikki to come in and die so quickly would be to explain that drug.

Other thoughts... Good episode again - the highlight for me was John giving up on himself and losing hope. I had assumed they were going to twist and contrive the story so John's death was vital to them getting home, but instead he fell back into being the old self loathing Locke and wanted to kill himself. Good stuff.

Plus the loose ends with Helen, the porter, Walt, why Jack was flying back and forth in the first flash forward and a few other things.. including Ben again hovering between being good and evil, only to show his true colours by killing Locke. Did Richard see it coming, was Widmore telling the truth? Does Ben have any idea that Locke would come back to life on the Island? Does that mean Christian is alive, and not just a Jacob image?

Now with the two camps, one in the present(ish) with Ben and Locke and one in the past with everyone else - I'm yet again looking forward to whats coming next.
Old February 26 2009, 09:20 PM   #60
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
How do you know it's Jacob? It might be, it's just that as far as I know, we've never established who it was in these discussions, and I've never seen any source telling us who it was. I do remember a lot of us agreeing that it looked like Desmond though, even if it wasn't.
At the same time, we've never had a sourse telling us it wasn't either.
We just have to assume another male in the cabin besides Christian might be Jacob.