A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Hostage Crisis"
Excellent 3 15.79%
Above Average 7 36.84%
Average 8 42.11%
Below Average 1 5.26%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19 2009, 07:52 PM   #1
nx1701g
Admiral

Star Wars TCW 1x22 "Hostage Crisis" - Discuss/Grade

Season Finale (I wonder how it'll do against BSG)...

To free crime lord Ziro the Hutt, bounty hunters seize control of the Senate Building and take hostages -- completely unaware that Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker is still inside.
Old March 20 2009, 09:32 PM   #2
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: Star Wars TCW 1x22 "Hostage Crisis" - Discuss/Grade

Wookiepedia says that Aurra Sing IS appearing in tonight's episode.
Old March 20 2009, 11:03 PM   #3
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

Interesting. Although I thought that maybe they would be trying to free Wat Tambor- who got captured in the last episode.
Oh well, at least it will be cool to see Ziro (Capote) again- maybe?
The episode looks cool and it will be interesting to see how Cad Bane stacks up against Boba Fett. It's unfortunate that we probably won't get to see a showdown between them both at some point- given Boba's age at the time of the Clone Wars.
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2009, 12:08 AM   #4
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

I reallllly hope that by the time this series comes to an end, one of the latter episodes will feature a mid teen Boba Fett impersonating a Clone Trooper to hunt some Jedi. I feel that could be a really cool episode.

Having said that, Ziro on the other hand is not cool. Not one bit. Why does this show flip flop so much?
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2009, 12:19 AM   #5
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

Dac wrote: View Post
I reallllly hope that by the time this series comes to an end, one of the latter episodes will feature a mid teen Boba Fett impersonating a Clone Trooper to hunt some Jedi. I feel that could be a really cool episode.

Having said that, Ziro on the other hand is not cool. Not one bit. Why does this show flip flop so much?
Well, he may not be a "cool" character per se but I thought that he was certainly more- how shall we say- "colorful" characters in the show so far, at least more interesting than some of the characters we've seen so far. I thought it was also interesting that he was purposely modeled after Truman Capote. That's just my $0.02 anyway.

In regards to Boba Fett, I don't think that he is more than 11 y.o. by the end of the Clone Wars- which isn't to say of course it wouldn't be cool to see him in action. He would probably be much more likely to show up in the live action series- if that ever comes to fruition.

Last edited by JediKnightButler; March 21 2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old March 21 2009, 05:27 AM   #6
nx1701g
Admiral

So how many people watched?
Old March 21 2009, 05:38 AM   #7
cylkoth
Commodore

The season finale turns out to be...Die Hard in the Courasant Senate Building? Wow. All that was missing was Anakin crawling through the air shafts, while talking to Reginald Vel Johnson over the comms...
Old March 21 2009, 05:57 AM   #8
JediKnightButler
Captain

I watched it. I thought it was good but was kind of surprised that it ended up being somewhat of a cliffhanger. It was also another episode where it looks like the bad guys "won". From the teaser for the next episode (which we have to wait until fall to see- arrgh!!!), it looks like there's going to be a big showdown with Bane with Ashoka getting caught up in the battle as well.
One thing that I was kind of confused about was that I didn't realize that Ziro had been imprisoned by the Republic. It was my understanding from the "movie" that Jabba had stated that he would "deal" with him, so I assumed that he had perhaps had Ziro executed for his role in the kidnapping plot.
It was nice that they finally showed some more personal interaction between Anakin and Padme, something that has been lacking from the series so far.
The bounty hunter gang was pretty cool and I loved that they included Aurra Sing, a character who has been referenced in the Star Wars universe (and even has a databank section) but has never been onscreen (well, unless you count her "cameo" in TPM- which I don't)
Old March 21 2009, 06:51 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I don't know Aurra Sing from much more than the TPM cameo but it was good to see her put that big-ass rifle to use. Shooting guys in the back no less!

As for Cad Bane, I never got around to playing my copy of Oddworld Stranger's Wrath, but now I might have to fire it up.

Padme looked different to me tonight than her previous appearances, just the hair/outfit or have they tweaked the model?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2009, 09:06 AM   #10
Mr Nighttime
Lieutenant Commander

Couldn't watch because I was watching BSG.

Now after reading this thread, I am glad I stayed away.
Mr Nighttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Hermiod
Admiral

Watched it this morning. I was annoyed at how they made Anakin look like a complete chump who is useless without a lightsabre, especially at the hands of a bunch of bounty hunters.

Ever since the original trilogy, Star Wars has had a habit of endowing bounty hunters with some sort of magical aura. I thought that had come to an end when Mace Windu unceremoniously sliced Jango Fett's head off in Attack of the Clones.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2009, 03:13 PM   #12
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Just watched it now because I was watching the BSG finale yesterday. That was great btw.

Really enjoyed Hostage Crisis. Cad Bane looks to be a great new addition to the SW Universe and they set him up nicely as a character. Nice to get the introduction of Bail Organa into this series, and Aurra Sing too. Enjoyed the moody design of the Senate Building. Also, I was glad to see the return of Ziro the Hutt. I found him funny in the CW movie. Good ending with the bad guys finally winning one...

Some flaws in this episode to be sure. How Padme ended up with Anakin's lightsaber was stupid. She couldn't tell Bail Organa to wait ten seconds or drop the damn thing when he wasn't looking? Also, Anakin "The Chosen One" Skywalker was way too weak without his lightsaber. He could have used the Force to open that door.

Let's see....you have Bane snapping a guy's neck and Ziro discussing the horrors of prison. Not exactly kid's stuff.

I'm sorry the first season is over. Season 2 can't come fast enough.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2009, 06:03 PM   #13
JediKnightButler
Captain

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Watched it this morning. I was annoyed at how they made Anakin look like a complete chump who is useless without a lightsabre, especially at the hands of a bunch of bounty hunters.

Ever since the original trilogy, Star Wars has had a habit of endowing bounty hunters with some sort of magical aura. I thought that had come to an end when Mace Windu unceremoniously sliced Jango Fett's head off in Attack of the Clones.
LOL. That scene from AOTC was so sudden and unexpected- and oddly enjoyable for some reason- that it caught me off guard when I first saw it. Yeah, I kind of thought that Anakin seemed a bit on the weak side w/o his lightsaber but then again he was up against quite a few professional bounty hunters at one time and he WAS distracted by Aurra Sing at the time that he got jumped by that one bounty hunter. Also, it's important to remember Jedi aren't invincible and have never been shown as such- for which I'm glad. It makes their ultimate downfall in ROTS more believable. Anakin, Obi-Wan, and other Jedi have been shown to be able to be captured, defeated, and even killed many times throughout the series. The Clone Wars series has even shown that Dooku, Grievous, and members of the Separatist Council aren't invincible or incapable of being defeated, captured, etc. True, we all know the fates of all of the characters (we see) in ROTS but it's still nice that the writers of the Clone Wars series show the trials and tribulations that each of the characters went through to get there. In regards to the Jedi specifically, one-on-one the Jedi seem to generally be at a tactical advantage and superior position but against multiple enemies at one time they CAN and have been brought down throughout the series. How many Jedi died in AOTC at the hands of the Separatists' massive droid army? Quite a few as I remember.
Old March 21 2009, 06:07 PM   #14
Hermiod
Admiral

^Anakin isn't just some Jedi, he's supposed to be the most powerful of them all. He didn't use the force once. Jedi are more than just guys with fancy swords.

This is the same guy who was pulling things off walls and hurling them at Luke while still fighting him - and that's after his abilities were diminished by his injuries.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2009, 06:09 PM   #15
JediKnightButler
Captain

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
JLet's see....you have Bane snapping a guy's neck and Ziro discussing the horrors of prison. Not exactly kid's stuff.
Don't forget casually gunning down the Senator who tried to walk off when Bane and his crew first entered the *west wing* of the Senate. Pretty intense stuff. But they warned us it was going to start getting dark(er). I can't wait!!! I've been pretty impressed how the writers have largely refused to pull punches with the show so far. I do hope that they figure out some kind of resolution for Ashoka's character by the end of the series, as well as start taking Anakin in a "darker" direction as well.