Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old February 21 2009, 01:49 PM   #1
TheInsideMan
Commodore

Jane Espenson talks about 'Deadlock'

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....nson.html#more

Ellen and Saul bring out each other's worst traits, and I think Ellen was doomed to be the old Ellen Tigh again the second she saw him, regardless of any circumstances. Also, the greater availability of alcohol doesn't help.
Old February 22 2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Jane Espenson talks about 'Deadlock'

Ironically enough, drinking large amounts of alcohol while watching this Cylon soap opera episode improves it considerably.
Old February 22 2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Candlefright
Admiral

Does she apologise for the crap writing this week? Did she actually write this one?
Old February 22 2009, 09:13 AM   #4
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Does she apologise for the crap writing this week? Did she actually write this one?
Looks like the whole interview is her answering questions about character motivations that seemed bizzare this week. The answers are OK, but I'm not totally convinced on many of them. Tyrol wanting to leave the fleet for example, and Adama arming Baltar's cult.
Old February 22 2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Gregsmack
Captain

Was the baby's distress and eventually his death brought about by the extreme stress that Caprica Six was under? Or was Liam's death an inevitability -- did he die because a Cylon-Cylon child was never going to be viable?

I like those questions. If you want to, you could add the question: "Did the baby die because Tigh, witnessing Ellen's gesture of sacrifice, fell in love with her all over again and deprived Six of his love in that moment?" And I'm sure there are other possible explanations, too.
Maybe I'm just a brute, but stuff like this makes me seriously roll my eyes. If 'love' turns out to be a tangible element by this series' ending then I may just jump ship right now. It's one thing for the characters to think it, but another thing completely if... ugh.

(I actually wouldn't jump ship. I love this show. But come on. Really?)

What had to be cut from "Deadlock"?

I'm watching it now -- as it's going past, I'm trying to recall this. Oh, there was a whole little runner about the possibility of bringing Centurions over to help keep order among the civilians. It was a very cool idea, but there was ultimately no room for it. And there was a big debate about whether Laura/Lee/Adama would allow the Final Five to reunite, with or without witnesses.
I'm frankly surprised Moore allowed her to cut this stuff. Could nothing else from this episode be cut to make room for these scenes? They seem rather crucial and, not to mention, interesting.

And there was a really fun exchange between Tigh and Ellen about her poisoning in which she pretended to be furious about it. Tigh: I thought you know it was poison! You asked for the cup! Ellen: I was thirsty!
Good gods.

Last edited by Gregsmack; February 22 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old February 22 2009, 05:05 PM   #6
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Wow. None of that changed my opinion. Shit episode at exactly the wrong time.
Old February 24 2009, 03:11 AM   #7
Koinek
Vice Admiral

Sigh.....the more she talks, the more my faith in the show wanes.
Old February 24 2009, 03:32 AM   #8
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Killer Koinek wrote: View Post
Sigh.....the more she talks, the more my faith in the show wanes.

Well, that was her last episode.

Small favors...
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
Old February 24 2009, 03:35 AM   #9
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

How the hell does Moore think she can run Caprica?!
Old February 24 2009, 03:44 AM   #10
chrisspringob
Commodore

Gregsmack wrote: View Post
What had to be cut from "Deadlock"?

I'm watching it now -- as it's going past, I'm trying to recall this. Oh, there was a whole little runner about the possibility of bringing Centurions over to help keep order among the civilians. It was a very cool idea, but there was ultimately no room for it. And there was a big debate about whether Laura/Lee/Adama would allow the Final Five to reunite, with or without witnesses.
I'm frankly surprised Moore allowed her to cut this stuff.
Unclear that she's the one who cut it. It's more likely that Moore did than that she did. Once an episode is shot, Moore is heavily involved in the decisions about what gets cut for time.....probably moreso than the actual writer of the script.

I listened to part of the podcast from the editing session for "A Day in the Life"....an episode that Moore did not write.....and Moore is basically making all editing decisions himself.
Old February 24 2009, 04:10 AM   #11
Harvey
Admiral

^^
True, but she is a co-executive producer, so she likely had some input. And if Moore is grooming her to take over Caprica, wouldn't he want to give her some experience running things beforehand?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old February 24 2009, 05:18 AM   #12
Gregsmack
Captain

^ That was my assumption, although chris has a point. Moore should have taken better care of his work with this particular episode.
Old February 24 2009, 05:26 AM   #13
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Good interview.

Espenson's a great TV writer and she's done well with "Galactica." It's reasonable to expect her do well with "Caprica."

Hopefully she can get more humor into that one.