Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old February 16 2009, 07:57 AM   #1
0 of ln(kirk^3)
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Speculation about the one true God! (possible spoilers for 4x15)

What does the one true God look like? Does he look like a chrome toaster or a regular human? Could the Galactica be the one true God? That's my theory anyway, unless the Galactica is really Daniel.
Old February 16 2009, 08:04 AM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Speculation about the one true God! (possible spoilers for 4x15)

Um, if the Galactica is either of those things, that would be dumb.
Old February 16 2009, 08:06 AM   #3
0 of ln(kirk^3)
Lieutenant Junior Grade

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Not if the explanations are done in the context of a dialogue-only episode.
Old February 16 2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Apogeal Alpha01

There is too much prophesy come literally true for me to conclude that the One True God, or The Gods aren't real, but I can't explain prophesy by the hybrids. Godliness? I propose that one or all of the Gods are hold over Cylons, people whose consciousnesses have been carried over from several iterations of the human/Cylon destructive cycle. Like the Asimov Robot who oversaw human history for thousands of years, they are machines who have tapped the psyche of humans and the minds of machines alike.
Old February 16 2009, 03:48 PM   #5
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

1 True Cylon God = Daniel. He's playing the role, I'm just betting on it. And like any true sensitive-artist type, he's wants both sides of his family to come together and make peace.
Old February 16 2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

Number 1 is Patrick McGoohan. ;-)
Old February 16 2009, 06:21 PM   #7
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Methinks it has something to do with the earlier passing reference of "He who should not be named"
Old February 16 2009, 10:45 PM   #8
Starwind
Fleet Captain

Apogeal Alpha01 wrote: View Post
Like the Asimov Robot who oversaw human history for thousands of years, they are machines who have tapped the psyche of humans and the minds of machines alike.
Did you know? That robot's name was Daniel.
Old February 16 2009, 10:51 PM   #9
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'll bet cautiously on our never being told anything specific about the One True God.
Old February 16 2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

0 of ln(kirk^3) wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Not if the explanations are done in the context of a dialogue-only episode.
Since up until now the Galactica has ALWAYS been portrayed as nothing more than a starship; suddenly giving it sentience would be way too much to swallow.

I do like the idea of Daniel being the one true god. I'm of the mindset that Daniel's consciousness is living on and that he's responsible for the visions.

It doesn't make sense that Daniel has ALWAYS been the one true god, however. The Cylon Centurions and Final Five believed in the one true god long before the Daniel model was conceived. It is believable, however, that the Daniel consciousness assumed/usurped the one true god role.
Old February 16 2009, 11:44 PM   #11
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Shawnster wrote: View Post
It is believable, however, that the Daniel consciousness assumed/usurped the one true god role.
The Centurions came to believe in their One True God (and the FF received their visions) thousands of years before Daniel was created. But there surely is a connection. Instead of assuming the god role, the Daniel consciousness may have elevated itself into becoming the One True God's prophet.

On second thought, maybe Daniel's consciousness (via the Opera House) exists outside linear time. As such he could indeed have sent visions to the FF in the past as well as to Baltar and Six in the present.
Old February 17 2009, 05:16 AM   #12
MetroKid
Lieutenant Commander

Didn't the first Hybrid in Razor say to Kendra Shaw that "there are those that call me God" ?

It was specified in "No Exit" that the Centurion's created the idea of the One True God, (and Caprica may explain who gave it to them in the first place). My bet is that the chrome jobs had the idea of a One True God, and when they created the first Hybrid they applied to it that mythical status of God.

I don't think that Daniel is anything other than a failed production line. I think they pointed out that he was sensitive and artistic as a counter point to The 1's/Cavils/Johns and not as indicative of some higher purpose.
Old February 17 2009, 06:57 AM   #13
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

I posted this in another thread, but I think it bears posting here too:

The Lords are the first group of humans to create Cylons. They, like the Final Five, downloaded their own consciousnesses into replicas of themselves when they died. They were regarded or came to regard themselves as "gods." Originally, there were 13, and one of them got uppity and rebelled.

Along the way, this resurrection technology was used, and it exploited the human sacrifices on Kobol, providing consciousnesses that were then downloaded into organic, but "Cylon," bodies. Thus was born the 13th tribe, and it was this activity that caused the conflict on Kobol, for, when humanity caught onto what was going on, civil war broke out, a peace was reached, and this peace included the tribe leaving the planet. The 12 originals are the icons of the colonies,the pantheon of gods and were friendly with humanity. The 13th, like Cavil, got ideas above its station, asserted dominance over the others, and eventually the 13th tribe followed it to their own homeworld. Eventually, it was deposed and resurrection technology abandoned in order to keep it from resurrecting, but belief in the one true God, by that point, had become part and parcel of the tribe's religion and was maintained. Meanwhile, these originals went on to evolve into pure, conscious data, and it's these originals, either as a composite mind or as individuals, who are the Virtual models, or it could be one original, the model called "Athena" who loved humanity so much that when it left Kobol, she cast herself down from the cliff and died. She didn't die, rather, her consciousness continued to exist and it has been the Virtual Model we see as Virtual Six. They, or it, is or are a "Cylon/s" of the very first order, but they/it aren't/isn't descended from mechanical beings at all, rather they/it are/is the "soul/s" of (one of) the very first humans to resurrect, humans that, when they died, were resurrected in the first generation of Cylons on Kobol.

Note, for this thread, the emphasis. IMO, RDM and Co. won't say the one true God is real like "God" in the theistic sense is real. Rather, they will go with the notion that belief in the one true God among the Cylons is both part of the cycle of time and something passed down to them from ancient times. It has some basis in reality...that reality being something along the lines of the emphasized section above. When monotheism developed on Kobol, the 13th tribe followed along with the 13th Lord as their god, after they left, it was a minority belief among humans that got passed down to the "present" day, and it was through this that humanity kept a link of some sort to the 13th tribe. Without this belief, the 13th tribe would have been utterly forgotten. It was their followers who preserved Pythia, etc. It was their followers who kept it alive, and when Cylons came to be in the Colonies, they found a way to pass it on to them.
Old February 17 2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I don't think the Cylon's one true god will be represented, proved, or disproved in any fashion. Correspondingly, I don't think that Daniel is their god. Rather, the Cylon religion will remain the motivational, character driving force that it has been throughout the series.

Mr Awe
Old February 17 2009, 10:09 PM   #15
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Apogeal Alpha01

Starwind wrote: View Post
Apogeal Alpha01 wrote: View Post
Like the Asimov Robot who oversaw human history for thousands of years, they are machines who have tapped the psyche of humans and the minds of machines alike.
Did you know? That robot's name was Daniel.
I'd forgotten!