Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 15 7.08%
Above Average 56 26.42%
Average 99 46.70%
Below Average 30 14.15%
Poor 12 5.66%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 21 2009, 06:46 PM   #91
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x16: "Deadlock"

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
I could swear that I saw Bear McCreary in the background of one shot in Joe's Bar, though. Anyone else see that?
Yeah, I saw him, too.

This episode had a few good scenes, but the pacing was off. The scenes were juxtaposed in such a way as to keep any kind of momentum from building. It was a day-in-the-life episode, which we can't really afford this close to the end of the series. Thank the Gods that Michael Hogan is so fascinating to watch.

One thing that impresses me about this thread is the surprising amount of objectivity the fans have about the show. There are some die-hard fans in this thread, myself included, who are perfectly willing to admit that this episode was not fantastic and who don't feel the need to apologize for it or rationalize it away. I'm not used to seeing that much in fandom.
Old February 21 2009, 06:53 PM   #92
Gregsmack
Captain

^

Given the briskness of the season so far, this episode seemed spread a bit thin. I think it may have been able to support another plotline without sacrificing the drama of what was already going on.

But you raise a good point on objectivity. With the astronomical quality of this season I was beginning to think I was losing my own objectivity towards it. This episode reminded me in the same way that 'Sine Qua Non' did that this series (like any series) DOES occasionally have chinks in the armor. It wasn't by any means a bad episode but it certainly seemed below its potential.
Old February 21 2009, 06:57 PM   #93
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
Adama watching the crew goo up the ship seemed a little overused in this episode, I guess they built that big set and had to get as much use out of it as possible.
Actually, my understanding is that it isn't a set at all, at least not in the traditional sense. I believe RDM said in a podcast that it's actually the space between the back of part of the Galactica set and the soundstage wall. They didn't have any room left to build the set, so they just used the space between the existing set and the wall. Pretty creative, actually.

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Which is completely consistent with the inconsistency that is Ellen Tigh. Humans and Cylons in the nuBSG universe are very much like humans in real life; filled with contradictions, weaknesses, and are never the same moment to moment. Ellen Tigh being the most inconsistent of them all.
Agreed. She's the most realistic female on the show. Unfortunately.
Old February 21 2009, 07:14 PM   #94
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Darth_Pinche wrote: View Post
The writing was at fault.
I thought that a lot fo the dialog was amazingly well done.

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
Actually, my understanding is that it isn't a set at all, at least not in the traditional sense. I believe RDM said in a podcast that it's actually the space between the back of part of the Galactica set and the soundstage wall. They didn't have any room left to build the set, so they just used the space between the existing set and the wall. Pretty creative, actually.
Really? That is pretty neat.
Old February 21 2009, 07:15 PM   #95
species5618
Commodore

Above average, but solely due to Michael Hogan's performance. Not a bad episode in general, but as others have said, it was a little too 'soapy' for an episode so close to the finish line.

I have no problem with BSG doing soapy episodes (I thought Unfinished Business was great) but I found this episode sort of slowed this (half) season's momentum a little bit.

I liked the B-story lines a little more than the whole "Ellen returns to Galactica, but in jealous uberbitch mode" storyline. Overall though, sort of an underwhelming offering for where we are in the story.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
Old February 21 2009, 07:16 PM   #96
flavaflav
Commander

average
certainly had its moments. ellen getting the flask from adama...i almost pissed myself. actually, everything with ellen kicks ass. adama and tigh drunk. heh, that's always good for a laugh.
baltar storyline has gone to shite. boring. i don't buy the way chief voted. out of character to say the least. but that's nothing new for the writers. whatev.
looking forward to next weeks ep.
Old February 21 2009, 07:19 PM   #97
species5618
Commodore

flavaflav wrote: View Post
i don't buy the way chief voted. out of character to say the least.
I agree--while the Chief isn't back to his pre-Cylon coming out days, he's openly overseeing the Galactica repairs and he always seemed rather ambivalent to me about being a full out gung-ho Cylon.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
Old February 21 2009, 07:23 PM   #98
Evil_Admiral
Commodore

I gave this episode an above average. It didn't have the "wow" factor of No Exit or Sometimes a Great Notion, but it did have some interesting bits. The animosity towards Ellen being well, Ellen is interesting. But it is sort of understandable. I mean she has all of her prior memories plus what she acquired before dying on New Caprica. So it makes sense that she'd still have her old personality.

Ellen's scene with Caprica in Tigh's quarters was interesting. First it was the old Ellen. But then she got herself together and played nice by telling Caprica that it was obvious that Tigh loved her. But then it was back to the old Ellen when she told Caprica that Tigh would always hold Adama closer than she could ever come.

I can't wait to see what becomes of Anders now that his brain is apparently back.
Old February 21 2009, 07:25 PM   #99
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

There was nothing ambivalent about the Chief's demands for full representation in the Quorum. Just because there isn't one anymore doesn't mean he doesn't believe in his Cylonness any longer. Helping Adama, getting the ship repaired--he did these things out of loyalty to the Old Man, not because this is the life he wants for himself. I could see him not caring all that much about leaving, one way or the other--but at least going with the baseship offered a change, which might have been enough to tip him.
My blog
Old February 21 2009, 07:27 PM   #100
Gregsmack
Captain

On Mo Ryan's blog one of the posters claims to have seen a longer cut of the episode at a Frak Party, and there was a notable scene in which Adama, Lee, and Roslin struggle with the idea of using Centurions to police the ship what with the Galactica being so low on marines after the mutiny. Adama is adamant (ha) that no centurions board the ship and in the end it results in Baltar's cult becoming the "human solution" to the police issue.

If this is in fact the scene that was cut, I must say that it was an extraordinarily poor creative choice by all parties involved.
Old February 21 2009, 07:32 PM   #101
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

I can't believe no one has mentioned Adama's hilarious blow-off of Baltar:

"I'm gonna go to the head. Do something productive. A little project I've been working on."

Old February 21 2009, 07:36 PM   #102
0 of ln(kirk^3)
Lieutenant Junior Grade

could the Baltar redistributing food to the poor scene have been an homage to count Iblis?
Old February 21 2009, 07:39 PM   #103
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

If I never hear another fan reference to Count Iblis, it will be too soon.
Old February 21 2009, 07:40 PM   #104
species5618
Commodore

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned Adama's hilarious blow-off of Baltar:

"I'm gonna go to the head. Do something productive. A little project I've been working on."

That did crack me up. Not just the comment, but something about Olmos' casual delivery of it.

Colonel Saul Tigh
Old February 21 2009, 07:43 PM   #105
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Adama's line was pretty funny.

I do wish we didn't end up with so much stuff on the cutting room floor. How is it this writing staff hasn't figured out how to write 42 minute episodes yet? They always seem to cut, cut, cut and it's not like it's just fluff--usually they drop important and relevant plotlines due to time constraints!
My blog