Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 15 7.08%
Above Average 56 26.42%
Average 99 46.70%
Below Average 30 14.15%
Poor 12 5.66%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 21 2009, 09:17 AM   #61
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x16: "Deadlock"

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed this one. The show finally got back to doing what it does best, which is character drama. They can stuff all the exposition in the world into an episode, like last week, but it will never hold up to Tigh and Adama in a room, drunk, shooting the breeze about life.
Agreed. After a while all the mythology starts to sound like meaningless mumbo jumbo to me (and having it all jam-packed into one episode last week made it seem even more ridiculous). It's really the character relationships on this show I enjoy watching most.

That said, I generally agree this wasn't the most eventful story to have 5 episodes from the series finale.
Old February 21 2009, 09:24 AM   #62
billcosby
Commodore

I'm sure the slow paced story is positioning itself for the 2 or 3 episode finale.
PROMO 4x17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT1dWnOY9GE

I thought this series was ending with a bang? I can't sit through a third week of exposition.

Old February 21 2009, 09:28 AM   #63
Marcus Porcius Cato
Commander

Is it just me or does Ellen seem more jealous of Bill than any of the women Saul have bedded?

Mencius, Chinese Philosopher (c. 372-289 BCE)
Old February 21 2009, 09:36 AM   #64
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Average - I loved Ellen last episode... But here it seemed like she suddenly got mind-wiped again.

Yeah I know they are trying to point out that the final five are so very human, and that they are drawing the parent/child parallels with the Cylons... But still aside from Caprica talking back to Ellen for a bit in their cabin, I didn't really think it was emotions that were "earned". But that moment of Caprica seeing that her parent was ... flawed, was so good. I just wish the rest of the episode was that good.
Old February 21 2009, 10:09 AM   #65
Aragorn
Admiral

Some nice character moments, some potential I thought they were going for but is being held to the next episode, and has Lee only been in one scene each of the last two episodes?

I really don't understand what arming Baltar's cult is supposed to do from Adama's POV. Maybe give them military support at the most. When they were talking about Cylons becoming half of Galactica, I half-expected Baltar to ask for a centurion to help the "lower decks" out.
Old February 21 2009, 10:21 AM   #66
chrisspringob
Commodore

So the only name they have for Caprica Six is "Caprica Six"??? Didn't she have a name when she was dating Baltar on Caprica (or did Baltar always refer to her as "hey you"?)? Why don't they use that name?
Old February 21 2009, 10:57 AM   #67
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Poor

With only 6 hours left, you would think they'd skip these filler/soap-operaish episodes - hell they should have spread the previous episode story over to this one and they could have done less of the 'talking-head' exposition that last weeks episode entailed. /yawn.
Old February 21 2009, 11:47 AM   #68
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

After last weeks info overload, not much could be done with this weeks, I think. The episode felt very bare-bones. I could tell every single scene was trimmed down to the bare essentials for time purposes. This was like a two-part episode scaled down to one. Very 'edited to run in the time allotted' I felt. I think the DVD version will show it to be much better than we're all feeling right now.

Old February 21 2009, 11:53 AM   #69
billcosby
Commodore

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
So the only name they have for Caprica Six is "Caprica Six"??? Didn't she have a name when she was dating Baltar on Caprica (or did Baltar always refer to her as "hey you"?)? Why don't they use that name?
No, we dicussed this on a thread a couple of year ago, I think.
I still think it's ridiculous to assume Baltar had this relationship with this woman (Six) for however short or long and never knew her name, it's extremely not believable. Sure, he's narcassistic, but come on.

We are led to believe, as you said, she was referred to as "hey you" by Baltar.

Old February 21 2009, 11:57 AM   #70
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Frontier wrote: View Post
After last weeks info overload, not much could be done with this weeks, I think. The episode felt very bare-bones. I could tell every single scene was trimmed down to the bare essentials for time purposes. This was like a two-part episode scaled down to one. Very 'edited to run in the time allotted' I felt. I think the DVD version will show it to be much better than we're all feeling right now.
Can't help thinking a lot of re-editing went on. Saw the same scene of adama watching the welding about 5 times. Can't help thinking that Moore jigged it round in the edit. I'll be interested to hear the podcast.

Average from me. Great scene with Tigh and Adama at the end, but the episode was a bit ploddy. I really like Ellen last week, she seemed to have another layer since her download - but this week she was just a bitch for the sake of it.

Why the sudden change from Athena? Where was Helo?

Having said that, was Athena at Sam's bedside or just a random 8? You only get one hairdo with the 8's. Its hard to tell

Show has been on a roll of late, but this episode fell a bit flat for me.
Old February 21 2009, 12:30 PM   #71
Hermiod
Admiral

^I'm guessing Random Eight, I don't think Sharon would leave her husband and I don't think she believes in the whole majority rule idea either.
Old February 21 2009, 02:00 PM   #72
Romulan_spy
Commodore

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I really don't understand what arming Baltar's cult is supposed to do from Adama's POV.
The weapons will allow Baltar's group to stand up to the bullies like the Sons of Ares. So, Baltar will be able to carry out his mission of providing food to the needy. So, my guess is that in return for weapons, Baltar promised Adama to provide food and protection to the civilian population in the lower decks.

I do think this decision might have some serious unintended consequences. Having different and competing militias so heavily armed can't be good!
Old February 21 2009, 02:01 PM   #73
TheInsideMan
Commodore

Below average.

If they replaced the 10,000 shots of Adama overseeing repairs to the ship, with Anders giving us brain-dumps about the Final Five, then it would have made both this week's and last week's episodes better.
Old February 21 2009, 03:33 PM   #74
SeerSGB
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
ialfan wrote: View Post
Sadly average. I just can't picture Tryol voting to leave the fleet and that's the least of this episode's problems.
Also a few days/weeks after Adama last his ship for several hours do you really think Adama would give guns to Baltar?!

BALTAR OF ALL PEOPLE?!?!

Almost fell over.

I think Bill's given up for the most part. For all intents and purposes his ship is now being taken over by the Cylons bit by bit. The only thing on his mind in the Galactica. If given Baltar a few rifles and having keep the people in Dogsville and their problems keeps them out of his hair, then-- in his mind-- it's cheaper at half the price.

ialfan wrote: View Post
Sadly average. I just can't picture Tryol voting to leave the fleet and that's the least of this episode's problems.
I had a problem with the whole "We've been talking..." angle to that decision. It would have worked better had they had Ellen come up with the ideal and drop the bomb on the rest of them. Still split it up 2 to 2: Tory, Ellen: For; Galen, Anders: Against.
Old February 21 2009, 03:36 PM   #75
Garth Rockett
Commodore

Average, but average for BSG is still pretty good. I thought they'd have to slow things down a bit after dumping so much information on us last week. A few thoughts on some things people have said so far:

I like the fact that Ellen is still Ellen after her download. It shows how deeply flawed she is, and as one of the creators of the Cylons it adds an interesting dynamic to the relationship between the Final Five and the rebel Cylons. It also provides another layer to Cavil's desire to be less human and more machine like. If Ellen was his picture of humanity, all the more reason to hate humans.

I think we're really seeing an Adama who has lost his way. He's struggling against the military pragmatism of needing the Cylon alliance (including their repairs of Galactica) and his deep hatred of the Cylons. I think that, coupled with the recent attempted coup, made Baltar's offer of a "human solution" palatable. Under Baltar put it in those terms, Adama wasn't going to give him the weapons. However, when he saw an opportunity to grab onto something resembling human self-sufficiency, he had to grab it.

Bill and Saul's scene together following Six's miscarriage was the highlight of the episode for me. I'm also intrigued by the direction Baltar is moving in.

There wasn't enough in this episode to make it stand out on its own, but I like the directions they appear to be going in, so I'm confident it will pay off.

ETA: I also wanted to mention something about Tyrol. After Cally's death, he's really given the impression of a man who just doesn't give a crap about anything any more. I think that's why he voted to leave. Nothing in the fleet really means anything to him now.