Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 15 7.08%
Above Average 56 26.42%
Average 99 46.70%
Below Average 30 14.15%
Poor 12 5.66%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 21 2009, 05:15 AM   #31
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x16: "Deadlock"

A huge disappointment. There are only so many episodes left and there are way too many questions left just to have Ellen be her normal bitch self.
Old February 21 2009, 05:16 AM   #32
CommanderTrip
Captain

yeah, the episode got an average from me. First one for the entire 4.5 run.

I loved ellen coming back, and I thought the loss of Six's baby was really well executed, but nothing really happened. The story consisted of the following events;

1. Yay! Ellen is back.
2. Boo! Boomer is back!
3. Adama watches some welding.
4. Ellen finds out about Caprica Six's baby daddy
5. Baltar's Bimbo Brigaide and the Case of Natural Selection
6. Adama watches some more welding.
7. Caprica Six miscarries. Hilarity does not ensue.

It was interesting to watch and I know its setting up the final arc, but I probably wouldn't be scrambling to rewatch this one.

Although I did like the Gaius jr. bit and the shots of ellen in the raptor that were identical to her first appearance back to season one.
Old February 21 2009, 05:16 AM   #33
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

QCzar wrote: View Post
This episode wasn't complete filler, since it did result in the oft lauded reunification of the Special Most-Awesomest Final Five. But Ellen's return was more than just a return to the ship. It was also a return to Ellen, which sank this very much into filler territory for me.

The true definition of filler, IMO, is an episode that essentially sets up no really new tangents, nor answers any existing ones. This is quintessentially that.

I'll give a more in depth review later, but suffice it to say, this was quite average for nuBSG.
That was one of my big issues with the episode that dragged it down, for me. Last week they seemed to be setting Ellen up for some real character development and moving beyond what she was before. And tonight, in very short order, she was right back to her old as if nothing had changed at all. It really was as if there was no real point in making her the fifth-- other than adding some cheap drama to the Tigh/Caprica-6 plotline.
Old February 21 2009, 05:17 AM   #34
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Average, certainly not bad. Well-performed, and I'm glad most of the issues regarding Ellen's sudden return were tackled. It's interesting that Anders resumed brain activity almost as soon as Liam died--could it be he "downloaded" in some way?

Not a whole lot to comment on, just good, solid drama, but nothing out of the ordinary for BSG. After the rollercoaster of the last few weeks, this one feels like a breather to get us ready for the home stretch.
Old February 21 2009, 05:17 AM   #35
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Average. Soapiness of the soap opera left suds on the screen. Hogan shined through it, though.

Head Six is back and Baltar doesn't question her absence. Baltar is lame now. Still amusing, but lame.

Again, we write out a kid (well, fetus) so that Hera will be center of attention again...or so it seems.

Ellen acknowledges the epic bro-mance that is Bill-Saul.

Over 2,000 years old and the final five are petty bickering twits. So much for the greatness of A.I.

The Olmos boxer at after the credits was the best part.
Old February 21 2009, 05:22 AM   #36
amdmiami
Commander

Meh average. This is going back to the old Battlesoap Galoperica routine. Next week looks pretty good though.
(P.M. me if you know where the quote is from )
Old February 21 2009, 05:23 AM   #37
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

The Ellen/Tighe/Caprica Six love triangle with the dead wife returning only to find her husand had moved on and them getting back is complicated by a pregnancy is a clear soap opera staple. And as a one time soap opera fan, I have no objection to it. The only problem is I never really was all that invested in their marriage and I certainly have zero interest in the Tighe/Caprica Six instant love affair. Really I think Caprica Six, a once interesting character, has been shamefully wasted since season three when she defected with Hera.
Very fair point. They had built up the Ellen/Saul thing well in the season premeire and Ellen is back to her old bitch self. Ellen/Saul is a lot more interesting than Saul/Caprica.

But then again, Saul and Ellen always fought.
Old February 21 2009, 05:38 AM   #38
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Y'see now I'm worried. Jane Espensen will be showrunning Caprica and this is the episode she gives us as her final BSG one. Now, it's not a bad episode at all but it's just not nearly as good as the others this season. Ellen and Tigh's reunion was played for sex and not emotion. I was not nearly as moved by it as I hoped I'd be. A real bummer.

The end scene was fantastic, though, and knocked it up to the above average. Still, it didn't give me much faith that Espensen is a good enough writer to run Caprica.
Old February 21 2009, 05:43 AM   #39
nx1701g
Admiral

Average. Ellen did this episode in for me.
Old February 21 2009, 06:02 AM   #40
0 of ln(kirk^3)
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I voted below average but I meant poor. Filler episode. If Zarek and Gaeta had resurrected somehow each claiming to be the final fifth I would have enjoyed that script better.
Old February 21 2009, 06:13 AM   #41
Harvey
Admiral

Above average, but below the mark of the rest of the season. A lot of things being moved around for the next round of episodes.

I am worried about what Jane Espenson will do on Caprica. I haven't been impressed by any of her scripts except for "Dirty Hands," and that was co-written with another writer.

I could swear that I saw Bear McCreary in the background of one shot in Joe's Bar, though. Anyone else see that?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old February 21 2009, 06:17 AM   #42
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

On any other show, this probably would have been an average, and I would feel generous. But this Battlestar Galactica, the final 5 episodes of the series, and after having to watch last week's episode a few times, I'm not feeling generous after this one. For that reason I've giving this episode a:

Below Average

What the heck. I felt nothing from this show tonight. Last week had so many revelations, so much confusion (No I'm not getting an All Along the Watchtower Moment), and so much plot into one episode. This episode should have maybe retold that story in a simpler way. The final five cylons reunite. The creators pretty much of the current race and all they can come up with are arguments and scenes that reminded me too much of "Tigh me Up, Tight me Down." So I ask again. Why? Why have this episode right here in this spot with now 4 episodes to go and 5 hours to wrap up everything. Why do I go into a show excited to learn what new revelations will come because we're in the nitty gritty and then come out feeling empty and unfulfilled for this week. Why Now?

There were some good moments, like the Head Six returning letting me know that the writers haven't forgotten how integral this part is to the overall landscape of the show (It's been there since 33 for heaven sake). I also liked the stuff with Adama and his feeling that humanity is slowly slipping away, and Baltar made an excellent point. I also liked Baltar's storyline even though it wasn't much to write home about either.

Still, at this stage in the game, they could have done a lot better. I'm disappointed, almost sad really, that the expectation I was hoping for in this episode was for naught. Oh well. Looking forward to next week which looks really starbuck heavy. All I can say to that is it's about damn time.
Old February 21 2009, 06:31 AM   #43
Gregsmack
Captain

No reason to post if I'm not going to give any real thoughts, but I just wanted to say that I found this week to be rather slow and I am almost completely certain it had to do with the fact that my friends and I watched Rambo directly before the episode.

Will soon perform a re-watch, then vote and comment.
Old February 21 2009, 06:40 AM   #44
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Einstein On The Beach had more action than this.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old February 21 2009, 06:40 AM   #45
trekkier
Lieutenant Commander

average as well. not as good as the previous 2 eps, but still some good scenes. most notably the scene where caprica six looses the baby =(