TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 15 7.08%
Above Average 56 26.42%
Average 99 46.70%
Below Average 30 14.15%
Poor 12 5.66%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 22 2009, 01:32 PM   #151
Shaka
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x16: "Deadlock"

Average, and i was being nice...

This episode did nothing to me. So this was the big return of Ellen ? Like we say in french, "a lot of noise for nothing".

I don't get Saul Tigh's arc, and i haven't for quite some time. This was the ultimate skinjob hater, even after he discovered he was some kind of cylon himself, and i can't understand how he went from there to falling in love with Caprica Six...

Tyrol may be lost in his head since Cally's death and his own discovery he's a cylon, but that he would be willing to abandon the fleet like that ? That seemed a bit rushed... i wish we had a couple more explanation on screen why he would go that way, even if we can indeed fill in the blank ourselves.

Baltar's Bimbo Brigade along with the whole Baltar story arc kind of bores me now, except for Paula who finally saw who Baltar really is. Hopefully we'll get more of her on the next episodes. I should add that this part of the episode was saved by James Callis interpretation, really funny as always. And Head6 is back ! Oh, and i loved how Kat's ex boyfriend castrated Baltar in front of everyone : "We have guns" - "Ours are bigger".

All in all, i felt this was pretty much the weakest episode of the whole season 4, on par with The Road Less Traveled. But there's always one each year, so i guess i should be glad it's now past us. And after three weeks of excellent episodes, it was bound to fail sooner or later. I love a good character driven episode but this one wasn't, it was too soapy, sloppy and disjointed, kind of blurry. Espenson did better work in the past, i usually like her episodes but this one was subpar. I guess the writers are humans after all !

Roll on next week ! After seeing the promo, which for once and it was a nice surprise didn't give too much away, should be more interesting. But that's for another thread
Time...

Last edited by Shaka; February 22 2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo, there's always one...
Old February 22 2009, 03:20 PM   #152
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Another Average.
After the greatness of the last few eps I guess a filler was to be expected. It wasn't bad, just a bit boring in parts after what we've had recently
Old February 22 2009, 04:55 PM   #153
Gregsmack
Captain

I have a question that may or may not have been answered in the episode.

What does leaving the fleet entail? Are they going to leave diplomatically and reasonably or are they just going to high-tail it out of there? I don't see Tyrol voting to just up and leave but I do see Tory being for it.

Also, the rebel Cylons desperately need some good leadership. Natalie would have been a good voice in this situation. I wonder if there is some kind of thematic subtext going on here, especially considering the Colonials' own difficulty with maintaining a steady government.
Old February 22 2009, 05:16 PM   #154
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

The Tyrol thing is yet another one of those subplots that has been cut for time. IN earlier episodes it was to be established that he'd started living on the baseship, and had moved towards accepting his 'cylon-hood'. I think there were some cut scenes about that mentioned in one of RDM's podcasts.
Old February 22 2009, 07:13 PM   #155
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Yeah, it seemed weird to me that Tyrol would vote to leave, I thought he'd stay for sure.
Gregsmack, I figured it meant jumping away and totally going off on their own
Old February 22 2009, 07:49 PM   #156
T J
Commodore

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
What I find incredibly frustrating is that, months ago, we saw a bunch of articles talking about how the creators of this show went to The Sci-Fi Channel and said that some/all of the last ten episodes were going to run long. Sci-Fi allegedly said, "No problem, we'll let them run past the hour mark."

I remember thinking how incredibly cool that was. Not only because the creators had a lot of extra stuff to put in, but also because Sci-Fi was going to do something failry unprecedented and just let them roll with it. One wonderful thing about this show is the (mostly) harmonious relationship between Sci-Fi and BSG. That usually doesn't happen, and I can't help but think that relationship contributed to the quality of the show.

So what the frak happened to our longer episodes? Did Sci-Fi reverse their earlier position? It was pretty clear in the articles that they weren't just talking about a longer finale.

Feels like a missed opportunity. (Or ten missed opportunities.)
I mirror your sentiments. Now I'm crossing my fingers that the last 3 if not the very last one will be longer.
Old February 22 2009, 07:52 PM   #157
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I found it to be below average. It might have fared better if last week's episode hadn't kick do much ass. Too much filler and scenes of Adama meandering aimlessly around the lower decks staring wistfully at his cracked bulkheads. Doesn't he have a ship to run? Don't we only have 4 episodes left? Why are we wasting so much time on shoring up the battlestar?
Old February 22 2009, 08:01 PM   #158
species5618
Commodore

Cyrus wrote: View Post
Berg417448 wrote: View Post
I thought he said "It's not like Zack" as well. I think the confusion stems from the fact that the TV closed captioning displayed the line as "It's not like that."
CC also displayed the "Gaius, you did it" line as "guys, you did it". I thought the dudes doing CC get a copy of the script, but perhaps not.
Sometimes programs are captioned live to tape or air, meaning the show (either as a physical tape or a satellite feed) lacks captions, so a captionist hearing the program audio through a phone line has to transcribe the show in real time. Needless to say, the captions are often several seconds behind the dialogue and/or full of spelling errors.

I'm not sure if in other cases they get a script to work from or if they just have the chance to go back and listen to unclear lines again and again.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
Old February 22 2009, 11:11 PM   #159
Gregsmack
Captain

Ethros wrote: View Post
Yeah, it seemed weird to me that Tyrol would vote to leave, I thought he'd stay for sure.
Gregsmack, I figured it meant jumping away and totally going off on their own
My bad. It's not that I don't see Tyrol wanting to leave (I DO see him wanting to leave), it's that I was unclear on what exactly the Cylons meant by their desire to leave?

Are they going to inform Adama and Roslin and mutually separate, or are the Cylons just going to jump away one day to the fleet's utter surprise? I think there is an enormous difference between the two choices.

I meant that I don't see Tyrol abandoning the fleet outright. He'd probably like to part diplomatically by informing Adama, etc. Tory on the other hand would likely have no problem just getting the frak out of there, and frak Roslin and the fleet's problems.
Old February 22 2009, 11:16 PM   #160
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Considering the rebel Cylons are knee-deep in repairs to Galactica, and the urgency of the decision by the Five, it's pretty obvious they just want to cut and run, to hell with the RTF.
Old February 22 2009, 11:20 PM   #161
Gregsmack
Captain

Interesting. I can't see Tyrol voting to hang the fleet out to dry like that, but I have been wrong before. I'm still convinced he just wants to help the last little bit he can before his big adios.
Old February 22 2009, 11:24 PM   #162
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

I think out of all of them, the Chief is the most ambivalent. Like he chose to leave by default, rather than because he really cared either way.
Old February 22 2009, 11:59 PM   #163
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

When a Cylon dies, if an acceptable vessel is nearby (like a clone on a Resurrection Ship), they wake up in that body. When the baby died, Anders began to wake up. Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Old February 23 2009, 12:21 AM   #164
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ He's possesed by the baby?
So Anders will now spend the remainder of the series crying and wetting the bed
Old February 23 2009, 12:26 AM   #165
MPH
Rear Admiral

If you have been around Humans for years and thats all you remember why would you want to go off with a load of tin cans and numerous copied skinjobs? How boring would that be, thats why I can't understand the reasoning behind some of them wanting to leave.