Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old February 28 2009, 11:36 AM   #1
RoJoHen
Awesome

Did our Final Cylon hear the music? (spoilers for 4.5)

I probably need to go back and rewatch the other week's episode to be sure, but was Ellen present with the Cylon fleet in the Nebula at the end of Season 3? Did she hear the music and go crazy, too? Or was she uneffected because she already knew who she was. I would assume that wouldn't make a difference.
Old February 28 2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Marcus Porcius Cato
Commander

Re: Did our Final Cylon hear the music? (spoilers for 4.5)

Ellen did not needed to hear the music, since she was resurrected.

Mencius, Chinese Philosopher (c. 372-289 BCE)
Old February 28 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
anti-matter
Rear Admiral

Wasn't she still dead then?
Old February 28 2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

No, she was resurrected just before the escape from New Caprica.
Old February 28 2009, 07:45 PM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome

Marcus Porcius Cato wrote: View Post
Ellen did not needed to hear the music, since she was resurrected.
She heard it in the most recent episode when Starbuck was playing the piano. That's why I'm asking.
Old February 28 2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Search4
Commander

I guess we don't know if she was in the nebula, in one of the CYLON ships. But by all accounts she would have heard it. With memory restored, she would have understood what it meant.
Old February 28 2009, 09:15 PM   #7
EstoniaKat
Lieutenant

That could explain how the Cylons found the fleet in the Ionian nebula in the first place if she was on one of the base ships.
Old February 28 2009, 10:41 PM   #8
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

Search4 wrote: View Post
I guess we don't know if she was in the nebula, in one of the CYLON ships. But by all accounts she would have heard it. With memory restored, she would have understood what it meant.
Ellen seemed as shocked as the rest when Kara played it. We can likely say: 1 Ellen's familiar with "All Along the Watchtower" as its been established Sam played it for his friends (the 4 0f 5 plus the mysterious "women he loved") back on Earth, 2 none of the Final Five including Ellen seem to know why it "activated" them. 3 We know she doesn't even with her restored memory know the meaning of it aside from her assertion that "something out there is manipulating them."

Sharr
Old February 28 2009, 11:09 PM   #9
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Sharr Khan wrote: View Post
Search4 wrote: View Post
Ellen seemed as shocked as the rest when Kara played it. We can likely say: 1 Ellen's familiar with "All Along the Watchtower" as its been established Sam played it for his friends (the 4 0f 5 plus the mysterious "women he loved") back on Earth, 2 none of the Final Five including Ellen seem to know why it "activated" them. 3 We know she doesn't even with her restored memory know the meaning of it aside from her assertion that "something out there is manipulating them."

Sharr
Bingo.

So... yeah. Ellen heard Kara play it. IE, she recognized the song along with Saul and Tori. Obviously, everyone in the bar heard the song on the piano, but no one but the Final's new of it's relevance.

The fact Hera wrote out it's musical notes... creeps me the frak out.

I did finally grasp something I've been so dense on, though -- Laura Roslin's connection to the Cylons and Hera, specifically. Duh! Baltar used the unborn Hera's blood to temporarily cure Roslin! So Laura has some Cylon blood in her, in a sense. Which is likely why she seemed to be disoriented or what not end of season 3, when the others heard the song - in the same way Hera seems to pick up on such transmissions, so to did she, but her mind isn't Cylon, she's just got a distant connection to Hera, so she didn't hear the song like the others. But it explains the visions, to a degree - or Roslin's involvement in the visions - and why she knew Hera had been taken before she collapsed in last nights episode.

Old March 1 2009, 12:44 AM   #10
Berg417448
Commander

Anyone else think that the music may be some sort of map or code to the location of the "promised land"?

Starbuck asked Hera if she was drawing stars and Hera said yes. Then she gives Starbuck a piece of paper with a stream of dots on it. We know it is music but what if the music the 5 heard, the music Kara learned as a child and the music Hera drew is also a starmap or even coded directions of some sort? The name of the next BSG episode is " Islanded in a Stream of Stars."

I recall reading an interview before the season (possibly Bear McCreary?) began that said music would be very important to the plot in the final episodes.
Old March 1 2009, 12:54 AM   #11
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Berg417448 wrote: View Post
Anyone else think that the music may be some sort of map or code to the location of the "promised land"?
I was falling asleep from boredom, but I think everyone knows that. More so because next week's episode is titled "[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Islanded In a Stream Of Stars".

To me the "stream" is the music line, and an "island" is the promised land.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old March 1 2009, 06:09 PM   #12
billcosby
Commodore

It's so fresh when that heavy version of the music kicks in, as Starbuck is playing.
That rips. I hope it ends up on a soundtrack.

Old March 1 2009, 06:13 PM   #13
cultcross
Say my name...

Frontier wrote: View Post
I did finally grasp something I've been so dense on, though -- Laura Roslin's connection to the Cylons and Hera, specifically. Duh! Baltar used the unborn Hera's blood to temporarily cure Roslin! So Laura has some Cylon blood in her, in a sense. Which is likely why she seemed to be disoriented or what not end of season 3, when the others heard the song - in the same way Hera seems to pick up on such transmissions, so to did she, but her mind isn't Cylon, she's just got a distant connection to Hera, so she didn't hear the song like the others. But it explains the visions, to a degree - or Roslin's involvement in the visions - and why she knew Hera had been taken before she collapsed in last nights episode.
Indeed. Hera and Laura both have 'Cylon blood', albeit in different ways.

Odds are, Starbuck does too - I subscribe to the theory that's being thrown around that her father was Daniel - when he 'just left, never called, never wrote', it was because his line had been boxed by John. I reckon she's like Hera, half-cylon, hence the apparant ressurection on Earth and hence her connection to the music.
Old March 1 2009, 07:08 PM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

anti-matter wrote: View Post
Wasn't she still dead then?
I'm sorry, but this is like the funniest sentence I've heard all week.

"In other news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is STILL DEAD."