Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 31 2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Crewman47
Commodore

Criteria for gertting into Starfleet - Enlisted and Cadets

After reading the post on Enlisted Basic training I was thinking, what is actually required to get into Starfleet? Assuming that most subjects taught in 23rd and 24th century High Schools, Colleges and Universities are more or less the same as what we have today then obviously if you have a goal of enlisting in Starfleet or going to the Academy then your specialty field would have to depend on what Subjects you do well in and what type of Grades you recieve. I'm also assuming that the minimum age for enlisting would be around 17 or 18 year olds and 18 to join the Academy.

So saying all this what would be the minimum requirement be for enlisting and what would qualify you to sign up for the Academy?
Crewman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Criteria for gertting into Starfleet - Enlisted and Cadets

Who the frak knows? TNG gives the impression that it is VERY difficult to get into the academy (illustrated by the fact that Wesley failed to get in on his first try). However DS9 and Voyager make the entry criteria seem far more reasonable.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Timo
Admiral

Well, it might be quite difficult for a 15-year-old to get into the Academy...

And Wesley probably was aiming at a specific curriculum there, one that only accepts whiz kids of the highest caliber. Had he wanted, he might have taken an easier exam for a less challenging and less interesting Starfleet sub-career.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

We all know what happens to whiz kids. They get the Valiant and a barking mad Captain Kid.
Old March 31 2009, 05:10 PM   #5
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

This is a question that popped in my mind with a thread in the DS9 forum. I assume it comes down to personal choice. Almost every job in the Trek world (at least with the Humans) seems to be filled by people who want to do them.

I'd imagine someone who wanted a career as an officer would choose to follow that path, those who wanted to join but had no interest in being an officer would enlist.

I've recently been in touch about joining the RN and have the choice of being an officer because of my qualifications, I'd imagine you needed qualifications to join Starfleet, but there would be higher requirements and it'd be easier to get them.
Old March 31 2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Dingo
Captain

I assume for job placement for enlisted personnel there's something like the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) which prospective enlistees take to determine their aptitude for certain fields. For officers, I'm assuming class standing at Starfleet Academy as well as what track you choose determines where or what your first assignment will be or the nature of it.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Mirror_Barclay
Lieutenant Commander

Probably good grades in whatever subjects relate to the specialties you want to focus on, pass psychological screening... but with modern medical technology, it's likely very few would lack any required physical fitness standard.
Mirror_Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 08:03 AM   #8
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Bar fights
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

As Nog found out, a prospective cadet who isn't from a Federation member world has to be sponsored by a command-level Starfleet officer (Sisko, in Nog's case) before being allowed to take Academy entrance exams.