Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 4 2009, 12:30 PM   #91
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek season 1 on blu-ray: April 28

Sparky wrote: View Post
I do have an issue with the packaging though. Has anyone else here had a problem with disc 7 constantly popping out of its holder? I have gone through 3 sets now and in every single one Disc 7 has been a floater when opening the packaging and it constantly pops off of the holder because even slightly bending the back part of the case causes the disc to pop off. Even the simple act of opening the case can cause the disc to come loose.
shrugs.... Mine's fine.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 07:45 PM   #92
ScatmanRescueMe
Lieutenant Commander

First of all if you are seeing dust, dirt or specs it has NOTHING to do with the increased resolution.

It has to do with the cleaning process.

The episodes were cleaned in a fairly rushed manner because of the tight TV schedule for the remastered episodes.

Some are practiacally flawless others have a little dirt left and one or two have a good bit of dirt left.

Example: menagarie part one is really clean and part two is pretty dirty.

I watched every one of these multiple times looking for dirt/dust etc and then looking for degraded or extra 'grainy' shots.

Also a lot of FX shots such as transporter shots have dirt 'trapped' in-between the two layers of film. The dirt removal process gets rid of dirt by sampling the frame before or the frame after for 'clean' information. But transporter FX sometimes last for amny seconds and removing the dirt from those would have been terribly time consuming and expensive.

As for the 'grainy' end of it most episodes are very sharp but there are some exceptions.

Increased grain appears in virtually every shot that 'dissolves' to black or into another scene or 'commercial break'
If you watch carefully you will see this. It remains 'grainy' until the first cutaway.

Increased grain also occurs when, in the editing process back in the 60s, they decided they needed a medium shot and they took a wide shot and zoomed it. That increases the grain for that shot a lot. Same thing when they need a close-up but only have a medium shot and zoom that.
You can mimic this process if your Blu-ray player has a zoom button. Just get any flawless section of a movie or show and zoom it. You can now clearly see that the grain increases. This was a sacrifice they made in the 60s because they didn't always have time for coverage shots.

And of course, the famous 'soft focus' shooting for most close-ups of female characters.

Besides a little bit of dirt & dust in some shots there will probably never be a better presentation of these episodes and they really look awesome---coming form someone who has owned then in over half a dozen formats and releases.
ScatmanRescueMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 10:39 PM   #93
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

High-Def Digest review

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/675/startrektos_s1.html

BD-Live: Requires Profile 2.0
DynamicHD
Daily live coverage from the Fedcon convention in Europe is another highlight.
Currently, three exclusive featurettes (2 minutes each) can be downloaded in your choice of SD or HD resolution. They offer info about the original show's special effects, sound design, and the letter writing campaign that saved it from cancellation after the first season.

More content may become available in the future.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 12:56 PM   #94
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Star Trek TOS season 1 on blu-ray - reviews

More reviews:

http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/008800.php

http://gearshrine.com/Blu_ray_Disc/o...lu-ray-review/

http://www.boxxet.com/Star_Trek/post...-ray-s-review/

http://www.cinemaviewfinder.com/2009...-original.html

I had no intention of replacing my double-dipped DVDs with the new Blu-rays as I figured it just wouldn't be worth it. I was so wrong.
Without a doubt, this Blu-ray release is the de facto standard for bringing "old" television back to life. If you think something from decades ago cannot look good on Blu, then you need to see this.
http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/sttos1bluray.php

http://www.mania.com/star-trek-origi...le_114772.html

http://www.film.com/tv/star-trek/sea...-trek/27955073
Old May 13 2009, 04:15 PM   #95
Vox36
Ensign

I'm a new Star Trek fan and i've been watching episodes of TOS on cbs.com. Recently I decided I really like the series and would like to own it on dvd or blu ray. I decided to get the Blu ray of season 1 and the picture is much improved over what they have streaming on cbs.com. I don't have any other reference since i've never owned the dvds but overall i'm very happy with the quality considering the source material is from 1966.
Vox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 08:14 PM   #96
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Got these last week, have been watching them voraciously. I'm quite happy with the picture and sound and the remastered effects (in my opinion) look great!
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 10:43 PM   #97
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Even with the not so perfect noise filtering, I'll be getting this purely because it'll be my first TOS buy, so I won't feel much of a sting if they ever offer improved versions.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 08:09 AM   #98
Penhall99
Lieutenant Commander

I was wondering, are the strings visible in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" during the scene where Mitchell's cup of water floats over to him?

I ask because on the standard def DVD set of Trek remastered, I watched the episode and could kinda see the strings. Did the creators run out of time and money to remove these? Or have they been taken care of on the blu-ray set?

I, unfortunately, do not have a hi-def TV or blu-ray player, so I cant get any of these sets. And I'm not gonna have the money to get them any time soon....
Old May 18 2009, 06:35 PM   #99
Grant
Fleet Captain

Yes the strings on the cup are slightly visible.

Not a lot more than in previous releases. If you look for them you will find them, but I gotta say that they did a real good job in 1965 of making them very hard to see. Considering everybody who ever saw the scene knows they are on a string.

As for the viewscreen shots having more dust/dirt than most regular shots---also true.

The dust/dirt removal process they used is to sample the previous and following frames to get a clean example to fix the dust,or dirt. (Each frame is 1/24th of a second long)

The process they used in the 1960s to create viewscreen shots was to overlay two layers of film and that trapped debris in the picture from day one. so these shots were never 'clean'.
And since the viewscreen shots last many seconds they can't easily or cheaply remove the dirt by sampling the prior or next frame. With the time and budget restrainsts they had turning out 80 remastered episodes in a two year span--they did a fantastic job. I doubt if they would ever have been allowed the budget to restore every single thing wrong with a 43 year old TV series.

But I marvel every time i watch these in blu-ray just how fantastic they look. Take a look at the episode previews to see just how bad the problem was before they started the project.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 08:34 PM   #100
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I only have two episodes left to watch on Season 1:

Conscience of the King
The Squire of Gothos

Where is Season 2 on Blu-Ray?

Have to hold out on watching them...
Old May 19 2009, 12:28 AM   #101
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I only have two episodes left to watch on Season 1:

Conscience of the King
The Squire of Gothos

Where is Season 2 on Blu-Ray?

Have to hold out on watching them...
Ain't out yet. (And I SO wnt to see the remasted The Doomsday Machine in 1080P)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2009, 03:40 PM   #102
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

MTV blog writeup

‘Star Trek: The Original Series’ Beams In On Blu-ray
Published by Adam Rosenberg on Tuesday, May 26, 2009
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/05/26...in-on-blu-ray/

Hey this is good that MTV is pushing TOS on the younger MTV prime demographic of 12-24.
A younger audience purchasing TOS on Blu-ray is a good thing.
More units sold = more interest in Trek on Blu-ray.
Old May 27 2009, 09:10 PM   #103
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

TOS season 1 review at AVSForum

If you guys want to see multiple reviews from very picky videophiles check out the

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1143094
Old May 28 2009, 01:28 PM   #104
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Grant wrote: View Post
Yes the strings on the cup are slightly visible.

Not a lot more than in previous releases. If you look for them you will find them, but I gotta say that they did a real good job in 1965 of making them very hard to see. Considering everybody who ever saw the scene knows they are on a string.
Woah, woah, woah, woah. Woah. Back it up. No freaking way. You mean Gary Lockwood didn't make that cup move telekenetically?

Last time I believe Lockwood....

At least they're not as obvious as the string yanking the phaser rifle away from Kirk. I wish they had erased those...

You know what's funny? I have a great 7.1 surround sound set up. Really lovely for movies and whatnot. Even great for playing CDs, man what a great experience. Yet when I watch the Trek BD set, I always choose the original mono track. Even when watching the enhanced versions. I like the original mix and how the the dialog, music and sound effects are nice and level. It also helps to have the accurate music in certain episodes. And I never really liked the newly recorded opening theme, but I give them a ton of credit for getting the tempo exactly right. The original music fits the images perfectly. In the new version, Shatner's intro is buried in sound mix also.

Otherwise, I am 100% over the moon with this set. I love having the choice to switch between versions, because my mood changes without reason and sometimes I prefer to watch the old effects, particularly when the CGI version is no better or actually more clumsy than the original: the new version of the opening battle in Errand of Mercy is awful and in the third season, the cat and mouse dogfight in Elaan of Troyius is completely lacking in energy.

Other times, I'd rather not notice the bleeding mattes, the 2-D look of the pasted on model against the starfield and the same planet colored differently each week. It all depends on the mood, but I'll always love and prefer the original.

Last edited by Ssosmcin; May 28 2009 at 01:40 PM.
Ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 02:59 PM   #105
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

mono soundtrack

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I have a great 7.1 surround sound set up.
Yet when I watch the Trek BD set, I always choose the original mono track. Even when watching the enhanced versions. I like the original mix and how the the dialog, music and sound effects are nice and level. It also helps to have the accurate music in certain episodes.

The 7.1 mix is impressive at times and is worth listening to over the original Mono recordings only if you have a full 7.1 speaker setup and not a 5.1 setup. If you aren’t on a full 7.1 setup I’d probably suggest listening to the original Mono recordings, as well as if you are a purist.
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=16123

Hmm. That reviewer felt the reason to listen to the new remix was the additional 2 speakers that you have.

CBS/Paramount has also seen fit to provide the show's unrestored monaural soundtracks in Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono format. You can choose this audio over either version of the episodes. Fidelity is naturally a bit thin, but that's likely more an artifact of age than the lossy codec.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/675/startrektos_s1.html

Hey the show is over 40 years old and some people feel it should sound like it is. Purists.
You could have full-range speakers that still would make the show sound much better than a 2" speaker on a color television in 1966 due to the broadcast stations' processing of the audio due to standard wideband frequency modulation used for the standard monaural audio on the NTSC television system in USA as well as the small speaker not being a full-bandwidth speaker.