Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 43 57.33%
Above Average 15 20.00%
Average 13 17.33%
Below Average 3 4.00%
Poor 1 1.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 19 2009, 04:36 AM   #31
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Lost 5x06: "316"

Was anyone else floored that Locke being dead was a mirror of Christian being dead? I never made that connection before. But the moment we learned Locke died we knew he would come back as a ghost advisor so it makes so much sense in retrospect. And I guess this is the reason he killed himself, not to convince the O6 as I had originally assumed.

Also, was it strange to apruptly be introduced to Christian's father out of the blue? Has he ever been referenced before? It led to wonder what is it that makes Christian special to the Island when he was such a screwup in life. And it makes me wonder if there's something special about Christian's father. Is Ray somehow connected to the Island and Christian was "grand-fathered" in? Is Ray Jacob?

Old February 19 2009, 04:39 AM   #32
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Was anyone else floored that Locke being dead was a mirror of Christian being dead? I never made that connection before. But the moment we learned Locke died we knew he would come back as a ghost advisor so it makes so much sense in retrospect. And I guess this is the reason he killed himself, not to convince the O6 as I had originally assumed.
Yeah, that floored me, too. I started to connect the dots the moment Mrs. Hawking started talking about Jack needed to get an item of Christians.

Also, was it strange to apruptly be introduced to Christian's father out of the blue? Has he ever been referenced before? It led to wonder what is it that makes Christian special to the Island when he was such a screwup in life. And it makes me wonder if there's something special about Christian's father. Is Ray somehow connected to the Island and Christian was "grand-fathered" in? Is Ray Jacob?
I found that transition to be very jarring, but it quickly made sense. I understand what the writers were going for and I don't think it could have worked any better, but it was still jarring.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Old February 19 2009, 04:43 AM   #33
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm surprised that Frank was happy to fly the plane into a crash that would almost definitely kill some of the people on board. I really wish we would get to learn more about him, all we know is his buddy was Seth the pilot from "Pilot" and he was supposed to have been the original pilot, but what's his motivation here?

Also are we ever gonna get a Miles flashback episode?

Old February 19 2009, 04:46 AM   #34
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

A couple of cool tidbits I picked up from LostPedia:

Ben was in the bathroom when the plane crashed. Just like Charlie.
Jack was reading a letter that made him feel guilty when the plane crashed. Just like Sawyer.

Sadly, I didn't think of Frank's fate until Mr Light pointed it out, but sadly I'm certain now that Frank is dead.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Old February 19 2009, 04:48 AM   #35
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

I'm wondering if the plane crashed at all...they all seemed to just 'flash' off

LJ

LJ2
Old February 19 2009, 04:49 AM   #36
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

"who care?"

jack-well we could get some new cast members

"ah yeah"
Old February 19 2009, 04:51 AM   #37
Mr Light
Admiral

Oh man I didn't think that Frank would die the way Seth did until you mentioned that. He better not be dead! That would really piss me off... even if he did lose the beard He better not be dead!

Oh yeah the Sawyer letter. Good one. The question is did Jack reading the letter magically cause the anomaly to happen?

Speaking of the "crash", it seems that the O6 were magically teleported off the plane and deposited in the jungle (in the 70s). Just like the way Christian's body magically disappeared from its coffin. Does this mean Christian had been to the Island in the past as we've long suspected? Will Jack meet his younger father when infiltrating Dharma?

Of course, maybe all of the Losties were magically teleported off the original plane in the Pilot. This would explain why they survived the crash... why none of our characters were shown to wake up ON the plane (right?)... why Vincent's fragile widdle doggy legs weren't snapped to bits when he landed...

Old February 19 2009, 04:52 AM   #38
Mr Light
Admiral

Trippy wrote: View Post
I'm wondering if the plane crashed at all...they all seemed to just 'flash' off
Well if you're going to die anyway you might as well start to "flash" off...

Old February 19 2009, 04:54 AM   #39
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

Of course, maybe all of the Losties were magically teleported off the original plane in the Pilot. This would explain why they survived the crash... why none of our characters were shown to wake up ON the plane (right?)... why Vincent's fragile widdle doggy legs weren't snapped to bits when he landed...
Except we've seen the original crash like dozens of times And there were bits of plane and dead people every where too...unless they 'flashed' off at the very last second

LJ

LJ2
Old February 19 2009, 04:57 AM   #40
Mr Light
Admiral

Recall that nobody was awake for the actual crash the first time. Everybody blacked out. I think they said Kate was awake the longest or something like that? I don't recall anymore.

I forget in the earlier episode when the Faraday group finds the Ajira wreckage what exactly did they find? Plane debris or just a life raft?

Old February 19 2009, 05:15 AM   #41
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

They found a water bottle. I don't think we saw anything else that was clearly from a plane crash.
Old February 19 2009, 05:59 AM   #42
Campe98
Commodore

I'm just going to post my analysis from my Facebook Lost group I've started. Suffice it to say, I'm giving this an Excellent:

THIS is more like it! All Oceanic Six, which in the first handful of episodes would leave me very dismayed but with some MAJOR plot movement! Plus, Ben gets his ass handed to him, the Six, er Five, er, Seven go back to the Island and LAPIDUS is with them!

So, did anyone notice that Ben was a little drenched when he was talking to Jack on the phone? Maybe he had to go for a swim? Who’s on a boat? I get this funny feeling that maybe, just maybe, that promise that Ben had to take care of had to do with Widmore – In other words, Penny’s dead. What does that mean for Desmond? I don’t know, but I am fairly sure that the Island isn’t done with Des yet. The truth is Mrs. Hawking suggested all the way back in season three’s “Flashes Before Your Eyes” that time will course-correct if you do not go along with it. Desmond was not supposed to leave the Island nor was he to end up with Penny as Ben was always to kill Penny after Widmore’s men killed Alex. Also, whatever happened to Aaron led to Kate needing to go back and why ever Sayid is with a Marshall (hmmm… a Marshall, eh?) is why he is on a flight to Guam.

So, Jack, Kate and Hurley are reunited with Jin on the Island at the end! Cool! But where or better yet when are Ben, Sun, Lapidus, that dude that talked to Jack, and better yet, where’s Locke’s casket?

If they needed to recreate the event as closely as they could, does this mean Lapidus is going to get killed by the monster in a tree? Will Sayid’s marshall end up dying? Will the plane split in three and the tallies be put through hard times, maybe becoming the group shooting and Sawyer and company in the last episode? Will all of the people in the forward cabin die? At the same point in time, did the plane even crash? Was there an event that led to Ajira 316 to crash like Desmond not pushing the button? I’m not necessarily sure about that. Maybe the flash we saw just grabbed the people the Island needed to come back.

I’m actually rewatching parts of the episode as I write my analysis. The discussion with Ben and Jack about the apostle Thomas as well as Locke’s note obviously harken back to the man of science, man of faith debate going all the way back to season one. Yeah, so Jack and Kate slept together again. Great. The moment she sees good ol’ Sawyer, we all know what’s going to happen there!

Also, with these events that we obviously need to see yet (Why Sayid went against Ben pre-season 5? What happened to Ben at the pier? For that matter what brought Sayid into the Marshall’s hands? What brought Kate back to Jack and to make the decision to go back to the Island?) mean that we may see more flashbacky episodes as opposed to the “36 hours earlier” captions?

When Oceanic 815 went down, Hurley had a comic book of Green Lantern and Flash in Spanish, the major point of that issue was the polar bears. When Hurley’s waiting for Ajira 316, he’s reading Y: El Ultimo Hombre, or in English, Y: The Last Man. According to Wikipedia, Y is the story of Yorrick Brown, a young amateur escape artist and his monkey Ampersand. Every mammal with a Y chromosome has been somehow wiped out, with the exception of Yorrick and Ampersand. The cover is to #15 (which just happened to be on the Wiki page) is part of an arc that tells the story of Yorrick and some of his women friends trying to save astronauts who were left on the International Space Station when the plague hit. It also involves hidden twin geneticists. Don’t know when that might come into play, but one of those points may be important.

All I know for sure is next week is bound to be pretty frikkin’ cool!

The best exchange of the night:

JACK: (asking about Ben) Is he telling the truth?
MRS. HAWKING: Probably not.
Old February 19 2009, 06:44 AM   #43
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I rated the episode below average because I felt like nothing happened during the episode. It ended the same way it started, and that's a big strike against it in my books. Here's hoping next week is better.
Old February 19 2009, 06:56 AM   #44
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I thought this was a GREAT episode, and I am very glad that they are back on the island. My favorite quote of the whole show?

Lapidis: We're not going to Guam, are we?

Old February 19 2009, 09:02 AM   #45
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Below Average - Worst episode of the season by far.

This episode was just a "flashback" (no pun intended) to the older style of Lost - all mysteries for the sake of mysteries. People talking to each other but really saying nothing. Everything cool so far of Season 4 was out the window. Everything frustrating about Season 2 and 3 on display.

And then Flight 316... Geez.

The only interesting part of the episode was the pendulum room and the discussion about it. That's it.