Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 14 2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Captain Mike
Commodore

Nimoy limping in "The Menagerie"??

I was watching the remasterd episode last night and what amazes me is how many times I have watched, that I never noticed after the beam down to Talos IV, Leonard Nimoy was walking with a VERY noticable limp. It seems I cannot recall anything about why that was. Anyone else do?
Old February 14 2009, 08:11 PM   #2
DeVario
Commodore

Re: Nimoy limping in "The Menagerie"??

Supposedly it was caused by an injury he sustained on their previous mission to Rigel VII.
DeVario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 09:55 PM   #3
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

From dialogue in the second scene of "The Cage":

BOYCE: I understand we picked up a distress signal.
PIKE: That's right. Unless we get anything more positive on it, it seems to me the condition of our own crew takes precedent. I'd like to log the ship's doctor's opinion, too.
BOYCE: Oh, I concur with yours, definitely.
PIKE: Good. I'm glad you do, because we're going to stop first at the Vega Colony and replace anybody who needs hospitalisation and also. What the devil are you putting in there, ice?
BOYCE: Who wants a warm martini?
PIKE: What makes you think I need one?
BOYCE: Sometimes a man'll tell his bartender things he'll never tell his doctor. What's been on your mind, Chris, the fight on Rigel Seven?
PIKE: Shouldn't it be? My only yeoman and two others dead, seven injured.
BOYCE: Was there anything you personally could have done to prevent it?
PIKE: Oh, I should have smelled trouble when I saw the swords and the armour. Instead of that, I let myself get trapped in that deserted fortress and attacked by one of their warriors.

http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/1.htm
Spock could be presumed to have been one of the injured.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 07:57 AM   #4
ACE
Lieutenant

That's the reason.

That particular interchange between Pike and Boyce in the Captain's cabin was also the very first Star Trek scene ever shot. Was it really so long ago?
ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 09:22 PM   #5
erastus25
Fleet Captain

ACE wrote: View Post
That's the reason.

That particular interchange between Pike and Boyce in the Captain's cabin was also the very first Star Trek scene ever shot. Was it really so long ago?
That is one of my favorite scenes in all of Trek. It is really a testament to the actors/producers/crew of The Cage that the first scene ever shot can still be considered one of the best despite the literally hundreds of hours of Trek that's been on screen since then.
Old February 15 2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Jose Tyler also has a bandage on his hand.

Neil
Old February 16 2009, 12:17 AM   #7
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

erastus25 wrote: View Post
That's the reason.

That is one of my favorite scenes in all of Trek. It is really a testament to the actors/producers/crew of The Cage that the first scene ever shot can still be considered one of the best despite the literally hundreds of hours of Trek that's been on screen since then.
Unless you just want to say it's been all downhill since then

Seriously, though, it was really good. I think Boyce and Pike made an interesting pair. The Cage is pretty much a character study of Pike's mind, but Boyce works well as a complimentary character to help the audience get insight into it (as well as set up the illusions that follow).
Old February 16 2009, 06:45 AM   #8
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

There's also a nice connection, I think, between that scene with Pike and Boyce in The Cage and the scene between Kirk and McCoy in Kirk's apartment in TWOK. I seem to recall that similarity was discussed in The Star Trek Compendium. Alot of the same overtones being discussed in both scenes.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 06:55 AM   #9
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Jose Tyler also has a bandage on his hand.
And Pike asks both Tyler and Spock whether they "feel up to" being part of the Talos landing party.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 04:39 PM   #10
Green Shirt
Commodore

Captain Mike wrote: View Post
I was watching the remasterd episode last night and what amazes me is how many times I have watched, that I never noticed after the beam down to Talos IV, Leonard Nimoy was walking with a VERY noticable limp.
Yes, before remastering it was only a semi-noticable limp.
Old February 16 2009, 11:03 PM   #11
McCoy
Commodore

And one of the others has a bandage on his neck.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2009, 03:04 AM   #12
erastus25
Fleet Captain

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
erastus25 wrote: View Post
That's the reason.

Unless you just want to say it's been all downhill since then
I'm one of those people who thinks TOS season 1 is the best season in all of Trek and often think it's funny that, to me at least, it has been all downhill for 40 years!
Old February 17 2009, 11:58 AM   #13
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Hm, I wonder, though, if Nimoy himself had suffered some injury that maybe then necessitated a script change like the one mentioned in Pike's cabin.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2009, 07:32 PM   #14
Joemac
Lieutenant

i remember reading years ago that spock did hurt himself during filming so there are some points where he has no limp. it was so noticable that the injury was added to the script. i don't know if its true. must be about 20 years ago, 1987 maybe, when there was a twenty year celebration and this was in a sci fi mag
Old February 18 2009, 10:01 PM   #15
ScatmanRescueMe
Lieutenant Commander

So because Nimoy hurt himself they added the guy with the hurt hand, the guy with the hurt neck, and the whole so & so many people killed and so and so many peoiple injured at Rigel sub-plot??

Very odd.

i think if he had no limp in certain scenes it was simply because he forgot to favor the leg in every shot and they weren't about to reshoot every take.
ScatmanRescueMe is offline   Reply With Quote