Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 11 2009, 03:09 AM   #151
HighteeHeller
Rear Admiral

Re: Farscape - anything I need to know?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
"You rescued our lifepod after the command carrier imploded. I'm no longer a prisoner because of you. So when the others left, I stayed to repay the debt." ~Old Woman (whose name you don't know yet), Dog with Two Bones

Newbies always seem to miss that line.

And I actually enjoyed "What Was Lost," but not until I watched it for a second time.
That two-parter is actually one of the most important, pivotal stories in the entire show. It's just you don't realize it because it's all done through this weird drugged-up dreamlike haze.
Quite true.

One of my favorite things about Farscape is that you have no idea how important certain things are until it's too late. I noticed this especially with season 4. A lot of people claim the first half of Season 4 isn't that great, but it does so much that you don't even notice to set up the rest of the season.
Oh that is so true, and why you need to watch season 4 a second, or even third time to catch it all.
Season 4 has some of the best writing, very nuanced, and if you're not paying attention you will miss it. Unfortunately the new characters throw you for a loop and you need a few episodes to find your bearing. That's why i think many miss the importance of, especially, 'What was Lost'.

Damn it, every time i read these threads i end up watching the series again.
HighteeHeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 03:17 AM   #152
RoJoHen
Awesome

HighteeHeller wrote: View Post

Damn it, every time i read these threads i end up watching the series again.
I know. I skipped most of Season 1 and started watching "Nerve" the other day. I think I'm just gonna pick and choose my favorites from each season.

The problem is, when I get to Season 4, I'm pretty much going to have to watch the entire back half because it's such a long, complex arc.
Old June 11 2009, 04:15 AM   #153
HighteeHeller
Rear Admiral

^ya that's about where i start watching it from as well. I like watching the arc episodes the best and tend to avoid the stand alones. Tho, crackers dont matter i can watch over and over again.
HighteeHeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 09:52 AM   #154
marplanauta
Commander

I understood the theme of What was lost, about the connection between Humans, Sebaceans and Interions, but the rest of the two parter was just boring and had no rythm
Old June 11 2009, 10:30 AM   #155
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

marplanauta wrote: View Post
The Choice was heartbreaking
It's a very crowded field - so many great episodes - but "The Choice" is probably my favourite 'Scape ep. Claudia Black was just extraordinary, even by her standards, and the ep just works for me on every level.

Mr Light wrote: View Post
While the Old Woman was annoying at first, in the second half of the season she became one of my favorite characters.
Yeah, she took some getting used to. Melissa Jaffer is a marvellous actress, though, which helped me get past her character's eccentricities pretty quickly. (Never got used to Sikozu, though; the only 'Scape character I simply cannot stand.)

Damn, now I want to watch the series again, too.
Old June 11 2009, 12:28 PM   #156
chrisspringob
Commodore

I hated the "What Was Lost" two parter. In fact I didn't care for very much of early Season 4, though the season premiere itself was good.

And with regard to the women who were added to the cast in Season 4.....I actually like Sikozu, but strongly disliked both Noranti and Grayza. Grayza really was a ridiculously conceived character.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 01:11 AM   #157
DWF
Vice Admiral

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
I hated the "What Was Lost" two parter. In fact I didn't care for very much of early Season 4, though the season premiere itself was good.

And with regard to the women who were added to the cast in Season 4.....I actually like Sikozu, but strongly disliked both Noranti and Grayza. Grayza really was a ridiculously conceived character.
Grayza was something of a take on Blake's 7's Servalan.

http://www.hermit.org/Blakes7/SevenCyc/S.html#Servalan
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 01:25 AM   #158
Mr Light
Admiral

The "What Was Lost" two parter wasn't very good I would agree but it introduced some interesting plots. I hated Grayza, really felt blatantly exploitative. In retrospect I wish they'd made the first half of S4 a little more coherent as they originally were going to do (they show some of those cut scenes in the Previously Clip at the start of WWL1).

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 01:30 AM   #159
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

backstept wrote: View Post
I'm about to watch this series straight through . . . anything I need to know before I start?
I caught several episodes while it was airing, but I never watched it with any regularity.
I know it's one of science fiction's best shows so I know it's going to be good . . .
I can probably offer good advice because I just recently finished the series myself. Farscape is definitely an eccentric show, and in a lot of ways, it differs from conventional science fiction. I recommend doing what others have and watch every episode in order ... preferably without large time gaps in the viewing. Personally though, I don't see how many couldn't like it because it succeeds on a number of levels: comedy, action, drama, suspense, etc.

The one thing that impressed me above all else about the show though was the central romance. Typical shows pissed me off with their 'will-they-won't they' routine, but Farscape totally turned that on its head and actually built the central premise around the love story between the two leads. Consequently though, this is also where you might not like it because the show does place such a high priority on space romance.

Unfortunately, it's hard to suggest episodes to sample because so much of the show is interwoven with plot theads. It really is a serial more than a standalone program.

However, my personal season one favorites are:

-A Human Reaction
-Throne for a Loss
-Jeremiah Crichton
-That old Black Magic
-Family Ties
Old June 12 2009, 02:01 AM   #160
Harvey
Admiral

I've just finished the "Look at the Princess" trilogy, as well as "Beware of Dog." Just the final set of season two episodes before I move onto season three, which I remember very fondly.

Anyone know about the Webisodes yet? I read on IMDB that they have yet to be scripted, but they've been ordered for a while, and I was under the impression that the latest comics were designed to lead into them.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 09:54 AM   #161
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

DWF wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post

Grayza was something of a take on Blake's 7's Servalan.

http://www.hermit.org/Blakes7/SevenCyc/S.html#Servalan
Yep, Grayza was an attempt at a Servalan-type character but turned out to be Servalan-lite. Very, very lite. Oddly enough (speaking as a B7 fan), the Grayza character doesn't really irritate me. Compared to Sikozu she's almost great.

Harvey wrote: View Post
Anyone know about the Webisodes yet? I read on IMDB that they have yet to be scripted, but they've been ordered for a while, and I was under the impression that the latest comics were designed to lead into them.
I'm kinda curious about that, too. I haven't heard anything about them since they were announced, and that was ages ago now.
Old June 12 2009, 07:46 PM   #162
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I loved how a lot of the show takes place in John's head . . . I mean it had cartoons!
and even with the cartoons it made sense (forget which episode it was) and it didn't even throw me out of the mood when they appeared
it was like 'oh yeah that belongs there'
don't know how to describe it but it was cool
Old June 13 2009, 12:09 AM   #163
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The webisodes had slipped my mind. I'm eagerly anticipating more Farscape.
Old June 13 2009, 05:10 AM   #164
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I'm actually not sure more is necessary. Very few Sci-Fi shows get a good end to them, and I think the PKW miniseries actually did a great job of closing it off. And yeah, they could do really cool stuff, but they could also do crap that might sour the memory of such a good closing finale. /Shrug. We'll see though. You never know what might happen...
Old June 13 2009, 09:41 PM   #165
Harvey
Admiral

Though I've yet to finish the series (just finished re-watching Liars, Guns and Money Part II) I know there are a few dangling plot threads that are unresolved in the end, relating to Chiana and Rigel's backstories. I wouldn't mind further installments to tie up these loose ends.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote