Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 18 2009, 10:34 AM   #16
crouteru
Captain

Re: Highlander: The Source aka Highlander 5

I'm done with the Highlander franchise. The first film was and still is my favourite. The anime film Search For Vengeance was good, but nothing else, including the series, interested me. I only watched The Source because I thought it would give us a better origin story for immortals than the awful second movie, but it turned out even worse. Now we have a remake of the original on the way soon aswell? It'll be the final nail in the coffin.
crouteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 12:08 PM   #17
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

My god, The Source was the biggest piece of crap ever.

It's a real shame how they managed to take all those good characters from the series and managed to make so many shit movies.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 12:31 PM   #18
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
JuanBolio wrote: View Post
Worst Highlander EVER. Worse than Highlander 2. I'm sorry I watched it. I want to forget about it.
Highlander II was at least a reasonably competently made sci-fi action/thriller if you just forget that it is a sequel.
Agreed. Actually, it has the best production values of the entire series, particularly in the big flying fight against the 2 weirdo henchmen. It's impressive how much Sean Connery they were able to pack into the film considering he was only there for a week. And while Ramirez's return is kinda wasted due to the fact that he dies again anyway... IT'S SEAN FUCKING CONNERY!!!!!

Just forget that it's supposed to be a sequel to the first film and don't ask why they decided to smush together a story about swordfighting immortals and a story about a laser shield replacing the ozone.

But even with the incredibly low standards set by the sequels so far, The Source was STILL a disappointment. Why does it end with a flashback recap of the movie we just watched?! Why kill off Joe Dawson & Methos in such pointless ways?!
I love Highlander II, its a fun movie and it does look good.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 01:21 PM   #19
JuanBolio
Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Worst Highlander EVER. Worse than Highlander 2. I'm sorry I watched it. I want to forget about it.
Highlander II was at least a reasonably competently made sci-fi action/thriller if you just forget that it is a sequel.
Agreed. Actually, it has the best production values of the entire series, particularly in the big flying fight against the 2 weirdo henchmen. It's impressive how much Sean Connery they were able to pack into the film considering he was only there for a week. And while Ramirez's return is kinda wasted due to the fact that he dies again anyway... IT'S SEAN FUCKING CONNERY!!!!!

Just forget that it's supposed to be a sequel to the first film and don't ask why they decided to smush together a story about swordfighting immortals and a story about a laser shield replacing the ozone.

But even with the incredibly low standards set by the sequels so far, The Source was STILL a disappointment. Why does it end with a flashback recap of the movie we just watched?! Why kill off Joe Dawson & Methos in such pointless ways?!
Highlander 2 had good parts, but I still prefer The Final Dimension and even Endgame.

The original film and the series stand head and shoulders above the rest, though.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 08:28 PM   #20
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

There can be only one... movie. Why did they ever bother to make sequels?

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 08:40 PM   #21
Duncan MacLeod
Fleet Captain

Because the 1st movie made a lot of money.

Did you really think there was another reason?
Duncan MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 08:50 PM   #22
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Duncan MacLeod wrote: View Post
Because the 1st movie made a lot of money.

Did you really think there was another reason?

Sense would have been a good reason. OK, OK, just kidding...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 09:23 PM   #23
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

That threw me as well. Why the 2min flashback montage of the movie we just saw?? That made no sense at all.

I do think if you take Highlander and Endgame and watch them back to back it makes for a good duology.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 09:41 PM   #24
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
That threw me as well. Why the 2min flashback montage of the movie we just saw?? That made no sense at all.

I do think if you take Highlander and Endgame and watch them back to back it makes for a good duology.
I'm pretty sure Methos wasn't killed in the movie. He goes off to buy time for Duncan with the cannibals, but it never says if he was killed or lived. Considering he's Immortal, I doubt he was killed (unless beheaded, but, again, I don't believe that was seen).
Old February 19 2009, 01:00 AM   #25
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Broccoli wrote: View Post
As for the post-apocalyptic future...the strange thing is that they didn't do anything with it. Was it really post-apocalyptic? Or was the town that Duncan was in at the beginning just shitty? Anytime we visit characters outside of "Duncan Town" (such as Methos and the priest guy), everything looks fine and not overly futuristic (save for those nifty telephone glasses).
Good point. Was it really post-apocalyptic or did it just look that was because Duncan was, you know, actually living in Lithuania?

Highlander 2 had good parts, but I still prefer The Final Dimension and even Endgame.
I prefer Endgame as well. There's just no substitute for seeing Connor & Duncan on screen at the same time. The Faith/Kate subplot works pretty well too.

However, I can't stand The Final Dimension. It's just a scene-for-scene remake of the 1st film, about on par with Escape from L.A.

Broccoli wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure Methos wasn't killed in the movie. He goes off to buy time for Duncan with the cannibals, but it never says if he was killed or lived. Considering he's Immortal, I doubt he was killed (unless beheaded, but, again, I don't believe that was seen).
Granted, they never explicitly establish whether Methos lived or died. However, I don't think his immortality was much of a protection anymore. As the old guy with the booming voice says, "As you get closer to the source, you will grow weaker and lose your immortality."
Old February 19 2009, 02:50 AM   #26
Skywalker
Admiral

The Source? Never heard of it. There hasn't been a Highlander movie since the decent, though admittedly mostly mediocre, Endgame.

Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 03:03 AM   #27
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

With Highlander 2, everybody knew that the movie they were making was total crap, but by then they were all contractually obligated to finish and didn't want to pay the penalties for quitting.

Somehow, I imagine something similar happened with The Source, which is why it is a good idea to see the script before signing on.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 03:26 AM   #28
Skywalker
Admiral

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
With Highlander 2, everybody knew that the movie they were making was total crap, but by then they were all contractually obligated to finish and didn't want to pay the penalties for quitting.
And at least Lambert and Connery looked like they were enjoying themselves. They had pretty good chemistry in both movies.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 04:28 AM   #29
JuanBolio
Admiral

I prefer Endgame as well. There's just no substitute for seeing Connor & Duncan on screen at the same time. The Faith/Kate subplot works pretty well too.
The only thing I really didn't like was how it turned Connor into an emo/depressive, and the somewhat shoddy special effects. I also would have preferred that Connor had not died at all, but I understand that Christopher Lambert was getting a bit old. Oh well. Connor lives on in the original movie timeline!

However, I can't stand The Final Dimension. It's just a scene-for-scene remake of the 1st film, about on par with Escape from L.A.
That's kinda what I liked about it. No matter what other gripes you may have, you have to admit the sword reforging scene with Bonny Potmore playing over it was completely and utterly awesome.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 11:57 AM   #30
Pingfah
Admiral

I thought Endgame was the next best film after I and II, better in the sequel sense than the second one in that it didn't try to justify itself really badly, but not a good film in it's own right at all. Bruce Payne was absolutely awful in it, and his character was just Kurgan Light.

Plus, his gang of ultra cliched henchmen were just terrible and really 80s. Like something out of a Miami Vice episode.

Connor and Duncan were good though, i'll give it that.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote