Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old February 15 2009, 04:32 PM   #1
MPH
Rear Admiral

BSG on Blu Ray?

Is this show coming on Blu Ray anytime soon? I have the series on DVD but they are such poor quality with loads of annoying grain, it looked bad on a standard TV but looks even worse now on my HDTV.
This series needs to be seen in full HD glory.
Old February 15 2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Ghostface1701
Commander

Re: BSG on Blu Ray?

Eventually, yes. Within the last week, the British Board of Film Classification have put up the ratings they've given to supplemental material which looks very much like Blu-ray content (picture-in-picture commentaries, pop-up trivia graphics, etc) for Seasons 1 & 2. So, fingers crossed that it won't take too long before there's an announcement

Example:
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classi...A?OpenDocument
Old February 15 2009, 05:25 PM   #3
22 Stars
Commodore

^ Great source Ghostface! really well done.
Old February 15 2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

MPH wrote: View Post
Is this show coming on Blu Ray anytime soon? I have the series on DVD but they are such poor quality with loads of annoying grain, it looked bad on a standard TV but looks even worse now on my HDTV.
The SciFi HD and Universal HD showings also show considerable grain.

BSG is one of the worst-looking shows in HD IMHO...mostly because the series is so dark.
Old February 15 2009, 06:47 PM   #5
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
All put there deliberately by the producers, seeing as how it's shot on digital video.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old February 15 2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Ghostface1701
Commander

MPH wrote: View Post

BSG is one of the worst-looking shows in HD IMHO...mostly because the series is so dark.
But the grain and darkness is so clear

For me, the director's intent is the most important thing when looking at films or TV in HD. If they wanted it to look dark and grainy, then that's what I want to see. BSG is one of the very few shows I watch in HD, and I think it looks beautiful. In particular, every frame of CGI in the show looks like a work of art.

Along with Trek, BSG is the Blu-ray release I've been looking forward to the most.
Old February 15 2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Hermiod
Admiral

Purposeful or not, the reviews for the HD-DVD release of the first season all mentioned how bad the picture quality was.
Old February 15 2009, 09:23 PM   #8
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
All put there deliberately by the producers, seeing as how it's shot on digital video.
You guys do realize of course that "Film" is still higher resolution than digital HD?
Old February 15 2009, 10:52 PM   #9
ATimson
Rear Admiral

DontFeedPhil wrote: View Post
You guys do realize of course that "Film" is still higher resolution than digital HD?
And that has what, exactly, to do with the topic at hand?

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old February 15 2009, 11:25 PM   #10
Ghostface1701
Commander

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Purposeful or not, the reviews for the HD-DVD release of the first season all mentioned how bad the picture quality was.
Alot of these reviewers don't know what they're talking about, and can't tell the difference between proper grain, and marcroblocking caused by a bad encode. I've seen good reviews of some bloody awful Blu-rays too.

There's a thread with comparative screenshots of the BSG HD-DVD set here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12873198

While not perfect, the HD-DVD certainly shows up the DVDs. Universal are pretty good with their Blu-ray releases, so we may get a new encode. Fingers crossed, but if not, I'm still snapping these up.
Old February 16 2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Maab of the Ten Tribes
Captain

I recently got the HD-DVD season 1 set off of ebay (i have a hybrid blu-ray/HD-DVD player) and let me tell you there is definitely a difference in HD. I was one who used to say "i bet this series wouldnt look much different in HD because of how they intended the series to look" but boy was i wrong. I cant wait for the blu-ray releases.
Old February 16 2009, 04:36 PM   #12
Guartho
Rear Admiral

Perhaps, perhaps not. It's actually easier to get good, grain-free images in low light by using the proper film stock than it is using digital video. I'd imagine the BSG crew has good enough cameras for low-light shooting, and I imagine they know how to light the hell out of something and then make it darker in post so as to have good quality and dark images. But it remains possible that they elected to tolerate the grain as a non-deliberate side-effect of the dark images they desired.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Old February 16 2009, 05:22 PM   #13
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Guartho wrote: View Post
It's actually easier to get good, grain-free images in low light by using the proper film stock than it is using digital video.
Umm... how? By definition, digital doesn't have grain.

Old February 16 2009, 09:26 PM   #14
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Somebody please tell me where they are seeing all this "grain"? BSG is a remarkably clear show... I have every BSG DVD currently out, and there is NO grain whatsoever. The only way this could happen, is if your color contrast/saturation is set way too high. You folks must be getting some poor-quality DVDs.
Old February 16 2009, 11:08 PM   #15
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum

Universal made some announcement a while back that the show would be released in the US sometime this year. I'm thinking we'll know more by the time the show ends.