Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old February 15 2009, 02:17 PM   #16
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile
Re: First Contact

James Bond wrote: View Post
and biased pseudo-review.
You call it names, yet don't even understand what a review is by calling it biased. This isn't Wikipedia you know: it's a personal REVIEW.

Evil_Kirkneivel wrote: View Post
Why is it that if your civilization has achieved warp, the Federation will proceed through normal diplomatic channels (for example, contact the leaders and arrange a meeting) but if your civilization has not achieved warp, the Federation feels it has the right to virtually invade your planet and perform clandestine spying - then have the gall to emerge and try to to get the leaders to trust the Federation after such an underhanded start!
I have no problem with what they did. For episodes like with the Mintakans it's akin to watching nature. They don't interfere, they study. While infiltration is a different kettle of fish, they are studying for when the big day comes. If a civlisation thinks it'll be the only one out there, then encouters aliens, bad stuff could happen. So the Federation is there to ease them into the process.
Old February 15 2009, 02:26 PM   #17
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

But wouldn't you call disguising yourself as one of the aliens to be "infiltration", no matter how benign you may consider it (and which the aliens may not be as understanding)...?
Old February 15 2009, 11:31 PM   #18
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
But wouldn't you call disguising yourself as one of the aliens to be "infiltration", no matter how benign you may consider it (and which the aliens may not be as understanding)...?
Well yes it is infiltration, but with good intentions... okay this time it went wrong, that's a danger.
Old February 16 2009, 12:41 AM   #19
Destructor
Commodore

Whenever we talk about this episode, we refer to it not by name but by its most famous line, "I've always wanted to make love to an alien!"
I disagree. I think of this episode often, and when I do, I always remember: "This morning, I was the leader of the universe- as I know it. This afternoon... I'm only a voice in a chorus... but I think it was a good day."

This is a wonderful episode, all the more so for not always having to take itself utterly seriously.
Old February 16 2009, 04:38 AM   #20
James Bond
Rear Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post
You call it names, yet don't even understand what a review is by calling it biased. This isn't Wikipedia you know: it's a personal REVIEW.
Personal it may be, but why is it being billed as sort of an official TrekToday review on the main page?

With this reviewer, even the greatest story is garbage because of her feminist sensibilities.
Old February 16 2009, 02:22 PM   #21
Pioneer
Captain

AntonyF wrote: View Post
Personal it may be, but why is it being billed as sort of an official TrekToday review on the main page?

With this reviewer, even the greatest story is garbage because of her feminist sensibilities.
EXACTLY! Thank You. I've been saying this for years. I won't even get into the atrocious writing. The "reviews" should be labeled as unofficial amateur opinion.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old February 17 2009, 06:17 AM   #22
Terra Pryme
Fleet Captain

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
Why did they not just wait until AFTER their first warp flight before making the Federation's presence known?

What exactly were they trying to do that couldn't wait?
I definitely agree on this sentiment. After all, this was the proper thing the Vulcans did when Zepherim Cocharine took the first warp flight from Earth. Once humans learned of alien life afterward, the first contact here was allowed to evolve and develop at the correct rate, enabling Earth to form its alliance with the Vulcans, then other alien races, eventually forming the Federation. If they knew the Malcorans were about to make their first warp flight, the Enterprise should have been sent to greet them in space, and then the planet afterward. Having Riker and others there already just messed things up big time.
Old February 17 2009, 07:06 AM   #23
Tiberius
Commodore

The difference is that the Vulcans were ignoring Earth. If they had known that Humans were about to break the light barrier, then they would have kept a much closer eye on us.

It's not a good idea for the first time you meet a new species to be when you bump into them out in space. You know nothing about them, so you don't know whether approaching them with shields down will be viewed as a sign of friendship or as a sign of weakness. Doing your research on them before the encounter in space is a better idea - you know how to prepare for them.
Old February 17 2009, 07:06 AM   #24
Tiberius
Commodore

The difference is that the Vulcans were ignoring Earth. If they had known that Humans were about to break the light barrier, then they would have kept a much closer eye on us.

It's not a good idea for the first time you meet a new species to be when you bump into them out in space. You know nothing about them, so you don't know whether approaching them with shields down will be viewed as a sign of friendship or as a sign of weakness. Doing your research on them before the encounter in space is a better idea - you know how to prepare for them.
Old February 24 2009, 01:26 AM   #25
M
Vice Admiral

Pioneer wrote: View Post
EXACTLY! Thank You. I've been saying this for years. I won't even get into the atrocious writing. The "reviews" should be labeled as unofficial amateur opinion.
Do you guys even know what a review is?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
Old February 24 2009, 01:32 AM   #26
scottydog
Admiral

View scottydog's Twitter Profile

Great episode. I loved Picard's very gracious diplomatic efforts. Also, the idea of a civilization being technically ready for space flight, but not culturally ready, is very intriguing. I kind of saw this as a cautionary tale about us Earthlings: Our social and cultural advances need to keep pace with our technological ones.
Old February 24 2009, 05:01 AM   #27
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

A terrible review of a classic TNG episode.
Old February 24 2009, 08:32 PM   #28
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post

Err, that's what diplomacy is for. This is why ambassadors and diplomats tend to be amongst the most educated and culturally sensitive that a nation has to offer.

It's not as if spying itself is not an insult or a dishonor or a a sign of contempt. Just catching a spy could be a disastrous act of war. Heck, spying in itself is a considered a serious and heinous crime against a nation. For that matter, whenever a Trek crew (across ALL the shows!) discovers that they were spied/tinkered upon by some higher alien power, the episode almost always goes into how violated and threatened the crew feels, even if the aliens are simply looking for some cultural insight.

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Do you guys even know what a review is?
I think we as a society are coming to a point where we confuse media non-bias with opinion pieces.

I'm sure someone's going to complain about a columnist being unprofessional for giving his or her viewpoints instead of just reporting the news. Same deal with newspaper editorials.