Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 3 2.80%
Above average 27 25.23%
Average 45 42.06%
Below average 25 23.36%
Poor 7 6.54%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 14 2009, 09:03 PM   #61
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Dollhouse: "Ghost" 2/13 - Grading & Discussion

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Am i the only one who got a Boston legal vibe from the set.
I think Danny crane would love it in there.
I'm thinking crossover! What if Denny Crane IS a doll?

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
That was essentially an episode built around proving Jeri Ryan has some kind of range as an actress. This is like an entire serious built around proving the same thing for Eliza Dushku.
Supposedly, that's where Joss Whedon got the idea in the first place. He was just having lunch with Eliza Dushku one day and she remarked on how she kept getting typecast in lots of schlock horror movies.
Old February 14 2009, 09:41 PM   #62
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Well if this is just an actress vanity show, then it won't last long... Especially with Dushku.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 10:03 PM   #63
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Apparently we're never seeing the original pilot, so either it was stupendously bad, or has absolutely nothing to do with the so as it is now.
The latter is my understanding.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 10:14 PM   #64
Mr Light
Admiral

I love Joss Whedon... and I thought this show was completely uninteresting. I'm shocked, actually. I can't believe he wrote this because it doesn't have any of his trademark humor, plot twists, etc, etc. It's just a by the numbers anthology show where the character gets erased at the end of the episode? That sounds completely uninteresting to me. And since the pilot only got 4.72 million viewers, it won't be around for long.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 11:07 PM   #65
Aragorn
Admiral

So who was naked killer guy at the end? And how exactly were they able to put someone's real memories into Echo?

I was expecting more Mission: Impossible type missions, and the stuff before the opening credits just turned out to be a hooker job, which I think there's something wrong with that.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 11:07 PM   #66
Pingfah
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I love Joss Whedon... and I thought this show was completely uninteresting. I'm shocked, actually. I can't believe he wrote this because it doesn't have any of his trademark humor, plot twists, etc, etc. It's just a by the numbers anthology show where the character gets erased at the end of the episode? That sounds completely uninteresting to me. And since the pilot only got 4.72 million viewers, it won't be around for long.
I agree, I was glad he's ditched the snappy dialogue that was the only thing I don't like about his earlier work, of which I am a big fan, but this was just like any other boring network thriller.

The presence of buffyverse actors was the only thing that was Whedon about it, it could have been made by anyone.
Old February 14 2009, 11:12 PM   #67
Wicca who Wonta
Vice Admiral

As a Joss Wheadon fan I've been waiting a long time for this. Unfortunately it seemed more like La Femme Nikita, in other settings, than a Joss Wheadon show.

The concept was badly executed and unless we get a personality that we can root for in between "engagements" it will be hard to care about the main character.

I'm really disappointed.
Wicca who Wonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 11:28 PM   #68
Peak
Fleet Captain

I think the reactions are pretty funny..

The reactions here sound pretty much the same as when Firefly was airing. I do remember being baffled by all the negativity at the time. This was before I learned that most TV-shows lives by the "the current season is crap, last season was much better"-credo.

Most funny is when people based on the pilot knows exactly how everything is going to play out, despite Whedons track record of doing the unexpected.

I still feel that this episode is the "Train Job"-episode. The one FOX demanded to try to overexplain everything for the "stupid public".

Firefly didn't begin to get good reviews until about "Ariel", if I remember correctly.

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 11:45 PM   #69
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Peak,
Nonsense... Train job, although I disliked the SciFi/Western setting at the time, had interesting characters, plus that "hook" at the end. (pushing the guy into the engine)

This? Not so much.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 11:56 PM   #70
Peak
Fleet Captain

No, I was there. Firefly was blasted every week most of it's run. I was here, and participating in those threads at that time.

I do agree, that the "hook" at the end got comments, as in "the only good/funny thing in the episode".

Fans, especially SF-fans, is judgmental in it's nature. Nothing to care about really, it's something that is built into fandom. But it's funny to see anyway. A bit predictable, but funny.

My guess is that when the mid season twist is coming, there will be a turnaround. But they will say it's "too late", and the series will be cancelled a few episodes after that.

My DVDs
Old February 14 2009, 11:59 PM   #71
cynical dreamer

The train Job
Old February 15 2009, 12:08 AM   #72
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Nah, Firefly hooked me from the start. Dollhouse, I'm just really not feeling. Don't try to brush it off saying that fanboys just want to bash things.
Old February 15 2009, 12:23 AM   #73
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

To be fair, on its own this is a pretty decent show. It's the elevated expectations due to Joss's name being attached to it which have caused most of the negativity, I think.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 12:26 AM   #74
Peak
Fleet Captain

I'm not saying that this episode was better than the Train Job (I was to kind to that episode when it ran really, as reviewed here once upon a time):

http://www.fireflyfans.net/reviews.asp?r=13 (it seems like the date there isn't correct anymore. That review was written the night the episode was broadcasted.)...

I do say that fandom in general are a pretty negative bunch, despite that the track record of the show runner is quite impressive. I tend to give shows at least 10 episodes before I decide if they are worth watching or not. Because I know that there's usually some time dedicated in the beginning to figure out what is working or not.

My DVDs
Old February 15 2009, 12:47 AM   #75
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Ugh. I never liked Buffy or Angel. I liked Firefly and Dr. Horrible quite a bit. I literally fell asleep about fifteen minutes in to this one and had to rewind. The whole thing is a mess. And no, the mystery of naked guy who murdered Echo's parents then watches home movies is not going to get me to watch this show again.

Doesn't help that Helo, traitor to his race, is along for the ride.

She did look great in the white dress dancing, though. Too bad she can't act.

Even at its worst, Alias was better.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote