Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 16 2009, 06:16 PM   #1
ancient
Vice Admiral

Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster

With the news of STXI getting novelized by Alan Dean Foster, I am reminded of this old Star Wars novel he wrote, which I have a copy of. I'm not a big EU fan, but I do have this book and the novelization of the OT.

The version I have is from Del Rey books, copyright 1978. Now, this book is really fuckin odd, and I'm not just talking about the story. The really weird thing about this book is...drum roll...

The words "STAR WARS" do not appear anywhere on the cover. Or the back cover. What kind of freaky tie-in logic is that? As a matter of fact, the Star Wars logo doesn't appear anywhere in the entire book. The words "Star Wars" only appear once - on the copyright notice. Can someone explain this to me?

There is a notice on the front saying how it's based on characters created by GL. The front cover doesn't even feature any obvious SW imagry. Ok, Darth Vader is on it, but he's fairly indistinct and standing in shadow. There are two other people on the cover, who I think are supposed to be Luke and Leia, but their backs are turned toward us and they both have mullet hair and the same clothes so I can't really tell which is which. Ok, one of them looks slightly blonde, so that must be Luke, even though it's the darker haired one who is reaching for the lightsaber on the ground...

Splinter of the Mind's Eye. It's a Star Wars novel...that hopes you won't notice it's a Star Wars novel.
Old February 16 2009, 06:23 PM   #2
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster

Egads, I remember that book. I read it when I was in elementary school, and it was so bad, even then, I've never been able to read a Star Wars book since. Excuse me while I go vomit at the thought of that book still being in print.
Old February 16 2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I had it. I had the hardcover

I might have tossed it last spring during my move. who knows?
Old February 16 2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

I have a copy knocking around here somewhere...I remember liking it though! (hey, I was 10/11 when it was published!)

LJ

LJ2
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I should have it in the collection somewhere... the only thing I remember was the idea of dialing the lightsaber beam down to a pencil-thickness to cut a lock, which I thought was a cool idea. Honestly can't recall another thing about it lol.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Rabittooth
Commander

I read this back in the day. I think there may be a little inadvertent incestuous behavior in there between the twins.

-Rabittooth
Old February 16 2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I'm pretty sure I have this book. Never read it, though (I think I planned to read it at some point, though).
Old February 16 2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I remember that Leia actually has a saber fight with Vader!!! Of course she doesn't win, and actually she gets wounded pretty badly, but, shockingly,. she doesn't lose any of her limbs
Old February 16 2009, 07:07 PM   #9
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

This could have been the second film, if the first hadn't cleaned up at the box office.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 07:12 PM   #10
ancient
Vice Admiral

Tuln wrote: View Post
I had it. I had the hardcover

I might have tossed it last spring during my move. who knows?
That's the cover I was talking about. Except mine is a lot darker. I don't know if that's because of age, or if you changed the contrast but on my book Luke & Leia are almost entirely black with most of the details obsured or harder to see.

Oh yeah, and the title is white, not red. And there's a black bar behind the white text on top.

If you haven't read it, I don't recall much so I could be mistaken, but I think only Luke, Vader, Leia, and the droids are in this book. No Han or anyone else. And it all takes place in a jungle, there's little in the way of space travel involved.
Old February 16 2009, 07:33 PM   #11
ArgentomaximusI
Ensign

Apparentally "Splinter" based on ideas by Lucas for a low-budget SW sequel had SW not been sucessful.

"Splinter" was adapted into a comic series in the 90s by Dark Horse, which ahd some decent art. Story still stunk though.

Alan Dean Foster late wrote the prequel novel Approaching Storm, which told the not-so-thriling tale of the "Border dispute on Ansion" mentioned by Mace in the film.

Overall, Alan Dean Foster might be a good SF writer but he's not so great at writing Star Wars (Except for his novelization of ANH).
ArgentomaximusI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 07:52 PM   #12
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

I rather liked the idea of a Yuzzem(sp?) swinging a droid around by the leg to bash Imperials with. IIRC, the droid and the troopers were coming apart at about the same rate.

AG
Alpha_Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

The proto-novel is always a bit off from where the series will go. In ST, TOS's first post-TMP novel was almost softcore in places, TNG's still was using an unused plot device concerning Riker not wanting Data around, and I think Voy's had somehow bypassed even the early-on Maquis tensions and gone right to S3, in terms of how everyone got on.

My take is, between counting money, drinking in praise and writing notes for TESB, Lucas heard someone say something about a novel, went 'Oh Yeah. Cool' and thought nothing of it. Then, after the Holiday Special went bad, he started taking a look at all this ancillary stuff. An early SW Marvel book told a Kenobi story that had him completely on his own, no master, no padawan, or padawan's padawan. It could have happened, yet I remember not seeing any more like it that I can recall.
Old February 16 2009, 08:24 PM   #14
Basill
Captain

Gojirob wrote: View Post
An early SW Marvel book told a Kenobi story that had him completely on his own, no master, no padawan, or padawan's padawan. It could have happened, yet I remember not seeing any more like it that I can recall.
Oh, I think I had that one. (might still have it) It has the Millennium Falcon coming out of a scuffle with Tie Fighters, and then Leia telling a story about Obi-Wan around or before the Clone Wars.

The art was very stylized, and I can remember not caring for it as a kid, though I tend to appreciate stuff like that more now.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 11:08 PM   #15
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

ancient wrote: View Post
The words "STAR WARS" do not appear anywhere on the cover. Or the back cover. What kind of freaky tie-in logic is that? As a matter of fact, the Star Wars logo doesn't appear anywhere in the entire book. The words "Star Wars" only appear once - on the copyright notice. Can someone explain this to me?
Well, in 1978 there wasn't a series called "Star Wars", was there? Star Wars was one specific movie. This was a sequel to it. The series identification seems to be the "From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker", which was also the subtitle of the novelization of the first movie.