New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old February 13 2009, 07:50 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Foster To Pen 'Star Trek XI' Adaptation

Veteran sci-fi novelist Alan Dean Foster announced on his website that he would be doing the Star Trek XI novelization.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, Pocket Books has confirmed Foster's website announcement and added that the book would be released on the same date as the film (May 8th) or within several days of the release. The book will be in the "trade paperback" format and will retail for approximately $16.00.

On Foster's website, located here, he posted the following update several days ago: "This month's update is going to be very brief. I had to fly into Los Angeles a week ago to, among other things, see the new 'Star Trek' movie at Paramount. Which in my opinion is, by the way, really, really good. And as I'm writing the book version, and as said book version must be completed really, really soon, I am going to be really, really busy for the next month."

Foster, a prolific science-fiction author, is no stranger to Star Trek, having authored the ten Star Trek: The Animated Series "log books" in the 1970s. He also was responsible for Star Trek: The Motion Picture Photostory, a novelization of the first Star Trek movie.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old February 13 2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Tinkertoyz76
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via AIM to Tinkertoyz76
Re: Foster To Pen 'Star Trek XI' Adaptation

holy crap 16.00 for a paperback book?
Old February 13 2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Procutus
Admiral

Tinkertoyz76 wrote: View Post
holy crap 16.00 for a paperback book?

That's common these days for an over-sized, trade paperback. I fully figured that Pocket would go the hard-cover route again and the price would've been $25.95 or more. This I might consider picking up.
Old February 13 2009, 05:44 PM   #4
T'Cal
Commodore

What about an audio-book?? Sometimes those are better than the films. GEN, read wonderfully by DeLance, is a great example of that.
Old February 13 2009, 06:04 PM   #5
ancient
Vice Admiral

I'd feel bad paying any more than $5 for a Trek paperback. But I'm not really into novelizations anyway, there are only a few I like.
Old February 13 2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

Awesome! He's one of my favorite novelists... I remember wondering if he might do this but generally hearing it was unlikely. But I thought there was a chance, since he novelized the Transformers movie, so there was a connection there. Cool!

Also, not to read Too much into it, but I think I trust Foster's opinion more than, say, Kevin Smith or some random movie critic. He has taught cinema at UCLA and novelized countless movies both good and bad (including Star Wars and Alien), so I think he knows a good sci-fi flick when he sees one. And yes, I know there's motivation for him to promote the movie since he's writing the book, but I don't think he'd say it was really, really good if he didn't think so; he's not that kind of guy.

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief
Old February 13 2009, 09:39 PM   #7
cb31
Lieutenant Commander

I HATE trade paperbacks! If I'm gonna read a book the size of a hardback then I want it to be a hardback. If it's gonna be softcover then make it a damn regular sized paperback! I would like to see this come out in hardback since that is how I have all the other novelizations. I don't see why they can't do both or all three!
Old February 13 2009, 10:45 PM   #8
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

Awesome, I didn't know ADF was still alive.
Old February 13 2009, 10:59 PM   #9
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

All right! Alan Dean Foster's one of my favorite authors. He'll do right by the movie, and I agree, if he thinks it's good, then it's at least that much. He's been in this too long to be easily swayed by SFX alone.

J.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
Old March 21 2009, 04:49 AM   #10
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Zachary Quinto is narrating the Alan Dean Foster novelization of the Star Trek film for audio!
Old March 21 2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Star Treks
Fleet Captain

Wow! Cool!

- W.K. Clifford, The Ethics of Belief