Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 13 2009, 10:27 AM   #31
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Valentine's Day: Yay or Nay, Hooray?

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
But I do understand why some don't like it. For those who are alone and/or lonely, it has to suck.
Like every movie that has Gary Busey as a lead character.

J.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 10:34 AM   #32
DeVario
Commodore

Febraury 14 gets a "nay", and a big middle finger, from me.
DeVario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 12:43 PM   #33
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

drychlick wrote: View Post
yes for people in love it a great day.plus you get to see women wear red dres who can be aguest that lol and i am a swm lol
Old February 13 2009, 12:48 PM   #34
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
drychlick wrote: View Post
yes for people in love it a great day.plus you get to see women wear red dres who can be aguest that lol and i am a swm lol
Is it a sign that I've been on the internet too long that I understood that perfectly?
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 12:58 PM   #35
Gov Kodos
Admiral

I live in Korea, here women give chocolate to the guys. This is returned in march on White day March 14 when guys give chocolates to the girls. (This is to the benefit of the homosexuals since they can give chocolates to whomever they wish on either day) lastly there is black day in April 14, where those without a partner indulge in Jajangmyon, a black sauce Chinese noodle dish. Then there is myself married to a Korean woman who feels that as an American I should get her chocolate on Valentines, and living in Korea should get her chocolate on White day. Since I am married, and don't like jajjongmyon, but my wife does, she gets that too. I have some ambivalence for the holiday.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 01:12 PM   #36
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Valentine's Day is a farce. A fake. It's an entirely manufactured, prepackaged, corporate excuse. It's a fiction designed to get people to buy cards, flowers, candy, etc. It's not celebrating anything. There is no objective reason for it. If you're in a relationship, you should show your love 24/7.
Meh. You could say the same about Christmas and the festive spirit (or religious significance if you are into it), Independence Day and patriotism (or your particular national holiday), etc. Of course it's fake and you should be doing that all year long. But humans are creatures of routine, and yearly festivities are a big part of our social behaviour, so no getting over it.

To me, it's just a nice day to go out to dinner with the girlfriend. No big fuss over it. Just like i give presents on Christmas, or fly my Italian flag on Liberation Day (and my Red one on Labour Day ).
Old February 13 2009, 01:14 PM   #37
Pingfah
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post

Other than that, this will be an irritating day from start to finish. I'm already growing sick and tired of the "give her diamonds."
Whenever i'm stateside i'm always taken aback at how much diamonds are advertised, even during primetime TV, it's weird. I've never seen diamonds advertised at all on UK television. The occasional jewellery advert in the daytime, but not just adverts for diamonds.
Old February 13 2009, 04:06 PM   #38
Electric Coleslaw
Rear Admiral

When I was single it depressed me but then I would send stuff to my female friends dating losers as a "Secret Admirer". Sort of the giving is better than receiving philosophy. Nowadays, it's more of a hassle then anything. And being on a Saturday this year is worse. Restaurants are crowded enough on the weekends.
Old February 13 2009, 05:12 PM   #39
Jenee
Dancing Goddess

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I agree. Roses February 15th cost a buck a piece, on February 13th they will cost $50!
A friend of mine gets a dozen roses on her birthday every year for that reason. Her birthday is February 16th.

I hate those diamond commercials - especially Jarrods. They're an insult to my intelligence.

Sometimes hubby and I do something special, sometimes we don't. But, generally we always exchange cards and he gets chocolate and he gives me chips.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 05:20 PM   #40
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I hate those diamond commercials - especially Jarrods. They're an insult to my intelligence.
He went to Jared! Squeee!!1!

At first I thought the guy from Subway opened up a jewelry store.

My wife and I aren't very into holidays in general. We'll probably exchange cards and call it good. I don't have a problem with it, I'm just sort of ambivalent.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 05:30 PM   #41
blablover5
Admiral

View blablover5's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to blablover5

Jenee wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I agree. Roses February 15th cost a buck a piece, on February 13th they will cost $50!
A friend of mine gets a dozen roses on her birthday every year for that reason. Her birthday is February 16th.

Oh those commercials make me want to wipe Jarrods from the earth. We just got one near us recently and they're started bombarding up with that annoying "He went to Jarrods" every other commercial.
blablover5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 05:33 PM   #42
Mallory

I like Valentine's Day. With three kids and a busy family life it's the one day of the year that my wife and I set aside just for each other. Even if it's only a romantic dinner for two somewhere.
Old February 13 2009, 06:15 PM   #43
judge alba
senior street judge

i've just noticed it's valentines day tomorrow OH CRAP! with me working tonight til late looks like i my be in a bit of bother tomorrow. wondered why the other half was asking me about saturday with a few threatening hints.
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 06:43 PM   #44
Gertch
Admiral

We give small presents on Valentines Day. No flowers which are jacked up so much in price. She likes potted plants better.

So I'll just give her some chocolates she likes. The girls will want to get her something as well. Plus the 50 thousand cards they've already made us. lol

Nothing wrong with going a little more out of your way to show someone you care than you normally do.
Gertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 06:45 PM   #45
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I gotta go with a nay. For some reason it seems to phoney to me. Christmas always seems a lot more romantic.