Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old February 9 2009, 08:53 AM   #1
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Addicted to Voyager

I don't know what it is, but whenever I want to watch Trek now, it's always Voyager. It's been this way since last June. I decided to finish my collection and get season 5, 6, and 7 (Still waiting for that last disc, which is now in the 5th week of a 2-4 week wait) but I still find myself watching it more than any other trek lately. In fact, other than the typical stuff (24, BSG, 30 Rock), I've been watching Voyager a lot. Some episodes I've watched in the last week include:

Macrocosm
Future's End
Revulsion
Scorpion
The Gift
Prime Factors
Worst Case Scenario
Alter Ego
The Raven
Message in a Bottle

It seems like Voyager is getting better with age. Episodes that many people tend to not like (Macrocosm for example) are episodes that I enjoy watching. Tonight I even had another marathon of the Voyager against Species 8472 arc with Scorpion (My favorite two parter), The Gift, and Hope and Fear. I'm not sure when this Voyager high is going to end (Probably after I watch Endgame and remind myself how much I hated that finale) but it's been great to watch these episodes again.

So how about you. Is Voyager getting better with age? Given this is the Voyager forum, it might not be a fair question but there is talk in the TNG forum saying that Age is not treating TNG very well. I disagree with that assessment, but that's niether here nor there. But What about Voyager. A series that is lothed by many trek fans, and in a year it will be 15 years old.
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Re: Addicted to Voyager

You have seen the light!

Tee hee.

Voyager is not getting better for me, though. I always liked it, ever since I saw Caretaker for the first time. I was instantly hooked.
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Evil_Kirkneivel
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I think Voyager's best episodes would age very well, as they are well-paced and edited and so would feel somewhat similar to what is currently the vogue on TV.
Old February 9 2009, 01:38 PM   #4
RoJoHen
Awesome

I definitely think VOY ages a lot better than the other Trek shows. Plus, I just think that the characters are a lot more lovable than you tend to remember from the original airing.

I love all Trek, but whenever I want to watch a random episode, it's almost always VOY these days.
Old February 10 2009, 02:33 AM   #5
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Evil_Kirkneivel wrote: View Post
Yeah, I think Voyager's best episodes would age very well, as they are well-paced and edited and so would feel somewhat similar to what is currently the vogue on TV.
What is the current vogue on TV anyway? I thought it was all reality and arc based shows. Voyager didn't really strike me that much as arc based but more a show with recurring storylines and a main plot to get home.
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 02:44 AM   #6
2 of 10
Captain

Voyager, like all other Trek series tend to get better as time goes on. Looking back at all the other series from,TOS through ENT they all had first season that were not as good as the later season's. Just think back to the first season of TNG, most if not all the characters, from Pickard on down at least to me seemed stiff and not to up to the task, however as the seasons rollled on they became a solid, and the well done cast that I came to love in the final three to four season's. They never jumped the shark, but the first season, at least for me did not win me over to them. I was into Trek that I continued to watch even though I was a bit underwhelmed at first...
2 of 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 04:03 AM   #7
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Since VOY came out, it was always my modern favorite. (My sentimental favorite is TOS.) I like ENT, too; but the one I am most likely to watch is still VOY. I love the characters, the setting, the journey and travelers they meet, the excitement of the stories.

I think there was a certain Trek fatigue going on that has been eased now there's no new on TV, and fans are willing to give it a chance and finding it entertaining.
Old February 10 2009, 04:55 AM   #8
scottydog
Admiral

View scottydog's Twitter Profile

I've just about finished watching VOY for the first time, and so I can't say whether it's aging well. I waited this long to begin watching the series because I heard so many negative things about it. Now I realize that I was foolish to wait. The best of Voyager is easily as good as any trek.

Yes, some episodes are weak clunkers, but that's true of every series. I can easily see myself re-watching many great episodes, especially ones centered around the EMH doctor.
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 06:23 AM   #9
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Offtopic: scottydog - you're avatar is the funniest one I have seen for awhile!
Old February 10 2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Lynx
Rear Admiral

It must be something special with this series.

As for me, I do think I'm seriously addicted.

Voyager has given me some serious dissapointments and there have been many times whe I've been thinking of calling it a day when it comes to the interest of this series.

But then things happen which drags me back. On Sunday, I re-watched "Caretaker" and it still gives me the same feeling of excitement as when I watched it the first time. So I decided to go for a "Voayegr Relaunch". I started to re-read the book "Caretaker" too.

Oh dear.......

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

I haven't read the Caretaker book. Yet. I think I should.
Old February 10 2009, 10:32 PM   #12
Aliceland
Cadet

Tachyon wrote: View Post
Yeah, you really should
I am now re-watching VOYAGER, now it's time for season 4 -again
Aliceland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 10:50 PM   #13
leola
Lieutenant

Being in a right arm cast as I am , I have been entertaining myself with many things Star Trek and stumbled across this board. I have all 7 seasons of V on DVD and am working my way through, again. Yes, I am addicted, and not at all shy to broadcast it to people!

We seriously need a Janeway or Chakotay smiley here... though I do like the Klingon and Vulcan
leola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2009, 06:13 AM   #14
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Lynx wrote: View Post
It must be something special with this series.
There must be.

I liked TNG a lot and I found DS9 good as well. But once Voyager aired here in Finland many many years ago, there was just something there that got me hooked. Perhaps it was Janeway and the rest of the senior staff, because I genuinely wanted to know how they were doing on their long journey through Delta Quadrant. Or perhaps it was the writing. I dunno. But I still have very special thing with Voyager. It's the only Trek series which has gotten me emotionally attached to it. Sounds crazy, but what else is new.
Old February 11 2009, 07:46 AM   #15
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Aliceland wrote: View Post
Tachyon wrote: View Post
Yeah, you really should
I just bought it from Amazon.