RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,352
Posts: 5,354,905
Members: 24,622
Currently online: 674
Newest member: slanders75

TrekToday headlines

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 41 58.57%
Above Average 23 32.86%
Average 4 5.71%
Below Average 1 1.43%
Poor 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old February 15 2009, 04:26 AM   #106
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Are you kidding? Nikki has the most memorable introduction in the history of television! To this day, I routinely remember for no reason her saying "What are you TAAAAAAAAAAAAALKING about???"
__________________

Mr Light is offline  
Old February 15 2009, 08:17 PM   #107
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Excellent. And next week looks like it should be off the charts!

Loved finally seeing some background on Danielle and her Crew of Incredibly Hot French Guys*. Too bad she had to kill them all. So, what gives - did she see a "ghost" of Blond Asshole Guy and assume he was "infected" with a disease (and how did she get that idea) that made him insane, when in reality, he simply was a creation of the Island, which explains any odd changes in personality? And then got the idea that everyone who went down in the cave came out "infected" as well.

And wow, that whole cave sequence was creeeepy as hell.

*I also liked how it was possible to figure out which one was Alex's daddy based solely on his looks before he indicated anything by putting his arm around Danielle. Good eye for casting.

I really want to know what's up with Dr. Sheppard. Looked like he was there in the flesh. Was he resurrected by the island somehow? If so, that still doesn't account for how he knows what he knows. Can't wait to find out more. Theories are welcome.
I'm backing the theory that Christian and the other "visions" of dead people are the creations of the Island.

IMO he was dead at that point, and the smoke monster was using his voice to call for help to get the others down there.
Those guys obviously never saw a horror movie.

How did the dude know the smoke is a security system and who told him that?
That made me jump, too. That seems like awfully specific knowledge for him to have after just a few days on the Island - saying Smokey was "guarding" the temple maybe, but "security system" is a more specific description that we (but not he) have heard before. So maybe they really were all "infected" or brainwashed or whatever happened in that cave.

Haven't seen this discussed: are we supposed to assume now that Danielle remembered Jin and didn't mention it years later? Or did she simply not ever happen to meet him? Because everyone operates under one-timeline rules on this show, except for Desmond, who is allowed to change things and not worry about past continuity - right?

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; February 15 2009 at 08:36 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline  
Old February 15 2009, 09:39 PM   #108
chrisspringob
Commodore
 
Location: North Ryde, NSW
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Haven't seen this discussed: are we supposed to assume now that Danielle remembered Jin and didn't mention it years later? Or did she simply not ever happen to meet him? Because everyone operates under one-timeline rules on this show, except for Desmond, who is allowed to change things and not worry about past continuity - right?
I saw this discussed to death on the IMDb boards, and someone went through every Rousseau episode to look for interaction with Jin. Apparently, there is never an episode where they're interacting 1-on-1 in any way.

There are a few cases where Rousseau comes to the camp or something, and Jin is part of a big crowd that she sees, and she might have been able to pick him out of the crowd, but it's highly unlikely that she would have concluded "Hey, that guy there, he looks exactly like this other guy I saw on the island 16 years ago....who I only interacted with for a few hours but whose face I remember perfectly. He must be a time traveler."
chrisspringob is offline  
Old February 16 2009, 12:27 AM   #109
SJA
Ensign
 
Location: ENGLAND
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Excellent episode - was I the only one who wanted them to take a little wander into smokeys lair! Hope we see more of Rousseau!
SJA is offline  
Old February 16 2009, 01:20 AM   #110
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

I saw this discussed to death on the IMDb boards, and someone went through every Rousseau episode to look for interaction with Jin. Apparently, there is never an episode where they're interacting 1-on-1 in any way.
Interesting - thanks!

She has no direct experience of time-travel, does she? Even if she glimpsed Jin and thought there was something familiar about him, it would be quite a leap to think he was the same person, who hasn't aged a day, and not just someone who kinda looks like that other guy she barely remembers from 15 years ago...
Temis the Vorta is offline  
Old February 16 2009, 02:04 AM   #111
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I also liked how it was possible to figure out which one was Alex's daddy based solely on his looks before he indicated anything by putting his arm around Danielle. Good eye for casting.
One of the reasons I knew Ben wasn't the dad. Of course, he could have been and there was just some lazy casting going on.
Agent Richard07 is offline  
Old February 16 2009, 04:10 AM   #112
SupAJ1M
Lieutenant
 
Location: Kent, England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SupAJ1M
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

lol
SupAJ1M is offline  
Old February 16 2009, 04:24 AM   #113
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
How did the dude know the smoke is a security system and who told him that?
That made me jump, too. That seems like awfully specific knowledge for him to have after just a few days on the Island - saying Smokey was "guarding" the temple maybe, but "security system" is a more specific description that we (but not he) have heard before.
We heard that description from Rousseau. Have we heard it anywhere else? Or all this time have we been laboring under the impression it's a security system due to a guess by Robert?
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline  
Old February 16 2009, 02:51 PM   #114
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS
 
Emh's Avatar
 
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Lindley wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
How did the dude know the smoke is a security system and who told him that?
That made me jump, too. That seems like awfully specific knowledge for him to have after just a few days on the Island - saying Smokey was "guarding" the temple maybe, but "security system" is a more specific description that we (but not he) have heard before.
We heard that description from Rousseau. Have we heard it anywhere else? Or all this time have we been laboring under the impression it's a security system due to a guess by Robert?
So it would seem...I love it!
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline  
Old February 17 2009, 03:11 AM   #115
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral
 
Obiwanshinobi's Avatar
 
Location: ObiWanShinobi
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

do you guys think Vincent gets nosebleeds too during his encounters with the flashes?
Obiwanshinobi is offline  
Old February 17 2009, 03:22 AM   #116
Mallet
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Vancouver
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Emh wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
That made me jump, too. That seems like awfully specific knowledge for him to have after just a few days on the Island - saying Smokey was "guarding" the temple maybe, but "security system" is a more specific description that we (but not he) have heard before.
We heard that description from Rousseau. Have we heard it anywhere else? Or all this time have we been laboring under the impression it's a security system due to a guess by Robert?
So it would seem...I love it!
And another thing... What type of security system hunts down people and drags them BACK to the very place it is supposed to be protecting? Wouldn't it want to keep people away from it? And why didn't it attack/kill the other frenchies who found the temple? If it was protecting the Temple why did it just take one person and lead all the rest of the people right to it? And once it did that, why didn't it kill the rest of them off right then and there?
__________________
"Everyone's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"
Mallet is offline  
Old February 17 2009, 04:36 AM   #117
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Lindley wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
How did the dude know the smoke is a security system and who told him that?
That made me jump, too. That seems like awfully specific knowledge for him to have after just a few days on the Island - saying Smokey was "guarding" the temple maybe, but "security system" is a more specific description that we (but not he) have heard before.
We heard that description from Rousseau. Have we heard it anywhere else? Or all this time have we been laboring under the impression it's a security system due to a guess by Robert?
Okay then, I'm going back to my original theory, it's a giant mechanical dinosaur that only looks like smoke because it exists in the 13th Dimension.

But I have this funny feeling Robert called it a "security system" because "it told him it was." That's what's creepy about it, how could he know so much about a frakkin' smoke monster - and something so completely counterintuitive (there's nothing particularly mechanical or "system" like about it, except the noise, a little bit) - unless something has gotten into his braaaaain?

But knowing this show, it could be something hilariously mundane, like he found the Security System Control Panel and realized he could use it to turn Smokey on and off.
Temis the Vorta is offline  
Old February 17 2009, 04:39 AM   #118
Gertch
Admiral
 
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
how could he know so much about a frakkin' smoke monster unless something has gotten into his braaaaain?
I think the general consensus is that something changed him. Similar to how Richard and the original others behave. Rousseau noticed this and killed them.
Gertch is offline  
Old February 19 2009, 12:01 AM   #119
zengoth
Fleet Captain
 
Location: st petersburg
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
do you guys think Vincent gets nosebleeds too during his encounters with the flashes?
that's what i'm wondering... and why doesn't Walt need to come back to the island?
__________________
Those things had to happen to me. That was my destiny. But you'll understand soon enough that there are consequences to being chosen. Because destiny, John, is a fickle bitch. - ben linus
zengoth is offline  
Old February 19 2009, 12:16 AM   #120
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS
 
Emh's Avatar
 
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

zengoth wrote: View Post
ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
do you guys think Vincent gets nosebleeds too during his encounters with the flashes?
that's what i'm wondering... and why doesn't Walt need to come back to the island?
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
grading & discussion, jin, sun

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.