RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 420
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 41 58.57%
Above Average 23 32.86%
Average 4 5.71%
Below Average 1 1.43%
Poor 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 12 2009, 06:42 PM   #76
Gertch
Admiral

Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

I have a couple of questions.

1) When Locke came out of the cabin and said "we have to move the cabin" or did he say "I?" Or was it "He wants us to move the Island?"

I'm remembering he said "we" or "us" and not clear it was his responsibility. Then Ben grabbed onto that and decided he was going to do it. But why? Did he know Jacob would want Locke to do it but decided to stick it to the Island for allowing him to develop a tumor? Did he think he might get back in the good graces of the Island for moving the Island?

2) Is the Islandized (what do we call what Richard and Robert have become after the Island takes them over) Christian stuck in the time jumps with the Losties because his body is from that time line?

3) Has Christian been waiting in the well for Locke to show up or can he just appear there?

4) How come they all had to go back or else but she can work with what they have now? And why not a special "hello again" to Desmond?

I tossed and turned from about 2am to 5am having dreams about this episode. But I can quit any time I want.
Old February 12 2009, 08:09 PM   #77
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

^
IIRC, we never heard the words Christian uttered in the cabin. Just indirect speech, brought by Locke. Christian could have said "I want you to move the island" and John could have understood the inclusive part of the pronoun.

Finally French who speak French! Well at least Danielle and Robert. The others were clearly Quebecois!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old February 12 2009, 08:44 PM   #78
Garak
You Eat What You Kill

On the whole, above average.

Charlotte and her massive forehead was getting on my nerves, so I'm glad she finally snuffed it. I hope it's explained why she never opened her mouth that she'd been on the island before, because if it doesn't then she's probably the worst (and worst written) character of the entire series.

I'm REALLY enjoying the Oceanic 6 storyline though, can't wait to see where that goes.

Cool to see the Rousseau angle, I have to say. How did the dude know the smoke is a security system and who told him that? What changed him?

Nice reappearance of the frozen donkey wheel, love that timey wimey thing.
Old February 12 2009, 08:55 PM   #79
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
IMO he was dead at that point, and the smoke monster was using his voice to call for help to get the others down there.
That was my take. It's the only reason I can justify such a large disconnect between getting his arm torn off and the laughable understatement of "I'm hurt". That, or shock.
I got a definite Austin Powers vibe from that scene, and unfortunately it kinda took me out of the show for a bit. Overall, though I enjoyed it.
Old February 12 2009, 09:24 PM   #80
chrisspringob
Commodore

jamestyler wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post
So, since the donkey wheel was simply off-axis, and Locke just had to push it, and he's done so now, does that mean that the time jumping has stopped? If so, then what's the point of bringing the O6 back to the island, if the time jumping has already stopped? Or is the issue simply that the time jumping stopped when the castaways on the island were in the wrong time? They're stuck somewhere in the past now?
The time jumping can't have stopped yet. We've seen Faraday in hte past already and know that now Charlottes dead he has to go back and warn her. I'm hoping this means that the group is back to where Faraday was and that stuff happens now or if there will be a few more jumps...
The time jumping could have stopped if, as you say, they're already back to the timeframe in which Charlotte is a kid. It's stopped, and they're stuck there. This would make sense, as, in the season premiere, we see Faraday undercover posing as a Dharma worker. If they were only in a given timeframe for a few hours at a time, he wouldn't have had time to steal a Dharma uniform, make his way down there unnoticed, etc.
Old February 12 2009, 09:42 PM   #81
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

I voted excellent. Probably one of the best of th new season so far. Ben flipping out was the highpoint for me. I'd probably do the same if people were talking about me as if I were the son of Satan and dispite me trying to help them.

I have a question and I'm surprised that no one has asked it. How is Locke going to "die"? Here's my take. Locke has been through the ringer since landing on the island physically and mentally. I have a feeling that once he leave's the island, losing the ability to walk will be the least of his concerns. I think that all that strain and abuse his body and mind has endured on the island, coupled with the responsibility of getting the band back together will simply shut his body down without the healing properties of the island. I'm kind of out of practice with the whole "theory" thing. Sorry if I'm not making sense.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
Old February 12 2009, 09:51 PM   #82
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Was I the only one cheering when Lostzilla starting pounding the life out of the French asshole?

I was not a fan of Charlotte. Her and Miles seem to have no purpose on this show except to give Farraday someone to talk to.

I'm glad to see the transformation of the Sawyer character. He's gone from complete asshole to trying to save Locke from being buried alive. Also am the only one who senses he is being set up with Juliet?
Old February 12 2009, 10:16 PM   #83
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
The time jumping could have stopped if, as you say, they're already back to the timeframe in which Charlotte is a kid. It's stopped, and they're stuck there. This would make sense, as, in the season premiere, we see Faraday undercover posing as a Dharma worker. If they were only in a given timeframe for a few hours at a time, he wouldn't have had time to steal a Dharma uniform, make his way down there unnoticed, etc.
Thats true... I did comment on a previous ep thread that Faraday would need to make himself known to them to go unnoticed. That coupled with Charlotte saying she remembered him makes me double back on what I said above.

Thinking about it - I assumed the time shifts wouldn't stop out of an assumption that Eloise's calculations meant a convergence of timelines and the idea that this would only stop when everyone got to the Island - as if it doesn't, with John fixing it and leaving... problem solved.

Long winded way of saying I'm assuming a lot
Old February 12 2009, 10:24 PM   #84
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Yeah I'm a little confused on that, so did John fix the problem or does everyone still need to come back?

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old February 12 2009, 10:27 PM   #85
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
Yeah I'm a little confused on that, so did John fix the problem or does everyone still need to come back?
Christian told Locke that those people have to come back *IN ADDITION TO* his instructions that Locke had to "bump the wheel" as it was off of its axis.
Old February 13 2009, 12:34 AM   #86
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Fantastic episode. I absolutely love this show!

A lot more happened this week along with the usual last ten minutes of pure awesome that each episode generally has. It was great seeing some of Danielle's past, but I hope that's not all we get to see. Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing Smokey once again (along with seeing another entrance to its lair) as well as seeing Danielle killing her husband (and even getting a glimpse of why she did) even though we knew it was coming.

The early focus on Jin was wonderful and made me realize how much I really missed the ol' bugger. It's funny how characters like Jin and Sawyer I hated in the first season but now I absolutely love. Speaking of which, I loved their reunion! Brought a tear to my eye.

Briefly getting back to Smokey, I can't help but wonder if that temple is the same one the Others were suppose to head to at the end season 3.

I'm continued to be amazed by the incredible journey of John Locke. I loved the conversation he had with Christian/Jacob/whoever the Smurf he is (although I had some newbie sailor in the room who just walked in for that scene and snickered at Christian's refusal to help Locke up...I really wanted to smack that kid ).

It looks like we're going to get a lot of answers next week! I CAN NOT WAIT!!!

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Old February 13 2009, 12:39 AM   #87
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Emh wrote: View Post
Briefly getting back to Smokey, I can't help but wonder if that temple is the same one the Others were suppose to head to at the end season 3.
I assumed it was, which makes you think, why would it allow them near it. Perhaps because of Richard? Possibility at least...

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old February 13 2009, 01:36 AM   #88
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The first Excellent of the season for me. It was fun and had some very memorable moments, which is really what Lost is all about.

Charlotte dying was unexpected but she annoyed me so much that I'm just glad she's gone. Her character never worked for me at all. I was also a little underwhelmed by the reunion of Desmond with the other three because there was a big deal made about Jack and Desmond saying goodbye forever in the season 4 finale, so it's kinda weird that they meet again and basically just say "s'up?"

As always, this episode's best scenes rest with Locke and Ben. Ben's scene where he stopped the car was great, and the scene where Locke meets Christian in the cave was mesmerising.

It's an excellent by a hair.
Old February 13 2009, 01:40 AM   #89
Jaron
Captain

Brent wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
I assumed it was, which makes you think, why would it allow them near it. Perhaps because of Richard? Possibility at least...
Or the same thing that happened to Danielle's team happened to the Others and they've been brainwashed/enlightened/smokemonstered.
Old February 13 2009, 01:41 AM   #90
label
Vice Admiral

canadaboy_32 wrote: View Post
I was not a fan of Charlotte. Her and Miles seem to have no purpose on this show except to give Farraday someone to talk to.

Yeah, this mirrored my own feelings. I felt like the idea of Charlotte being a child was raised there on the island and was looking for it could have been a good one but I don't think it was realized very effectively. What's even worse is that even though they apparently (because with Time travel it's posible someone could go to her past and save her) killed her off, her death scene wasn't even that great. I mean, are we really supposed to care that much about 2 character we've only know for a little more than a season or so?

Don't get me wrong, I love Faraday but it was a bit much for me to buy or get emotionally involved in.

I'm glad to see the transformation of the Sawyer character. He's gone from complete asshole to trying to save Locke from being buried alive.
Yeah, I agree. However he's more or less been one of the good guys since season 3. Still, it is nice to see him continue to grow. Sure hope that means he doesn't die at the end of the show and Kate ends up with Jack.