Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 41 58.57%
Above Average 23 32.86%
Average 4 5.71%
Below Average 1 1.43%
Poor 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 11 2009, 04:59 AM   #1
Agent Richard07
Retired

Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death".
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

"This Place is Death"

"Locke takes on the burden to stop the island's increasingly violent shifts through time. Meanwhile, Ben hits a roadblock in his attempt to reunite the Oceanic 6 and bring them back to the island." - The Lost Forum
Old February 11 2009, 04:33 PM   #2
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Re: Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Judging by the sneak previews and the promo from last week, this episode look pretty good.
Old February 11 2009, 09:13 PM   #3
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Do we know what the centricity of this one is? I read spoilers casually but I don't know who it's about yet, if anyone.

EDIT: I should add too: I'm loving this season but one of the things I miss are episodes that are clearly "somebody's." You could argue that "The Lie" and "The Little Prince" were Hurley's and Kate's respectively but it's just not the same.
Old February 11 2009, 09:22 PM   #4
chrisspringob
Commodore

DeafPoet wrote: View Post
Do we know what the centricity of this one is? I read spoilers casually but I don't know who it's about yet, if anyone.

EDIT: I should add too: I'm loving this season but one of the things I miss are episodes that are clearly "somebody's." You could argue that "The Lie" and "The Little Prince" were Hurley's and Kate's respectively but it's just not the same.
Yeah, I don't know if you can say that the episodes all even have centricities anymore. Who was the featured character in "Because You Left", for example?
Old February 11 2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ A lot of people are saying that the show isn't character-centric anymore, but according to statements made by the show runners, the writers and a few actors, the episodes are still character-centric. We may not have flashbacks throughout the episode anymore, but so far, 3 out of the 4 aired episodes have had a single flashback at the beginning of the teaser with the featured character.

As for who's episode this is, I don't know, and neither does any online source I could find, which is a first. In fact, the two people who wrote this one have said in a recent interview that it's hard to tell who's epsiode it is. The banners I make are supposed to indicate who's episode it is, but I had to put "The Losties" there because of the lack of information, and under the assumption that this one, like the season premiere isn't going to focus on a single character. When I was digging around though, it was assumed that this would be a "Charlotte" or a "Rousseau" episode. Also, Daniel Dae Kim has been making the rounds, doing a lot of interviews and press, so I also got to thinking that this could be a "Jin & Sun" episode. Guess we'll find out tonight.
Old February 11 2009, 10:36 PM   #6
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
so I also got to thinking that this could be a "Jin & Sun" episode.
It could be a Jin without Sun episode too.
Old February 11 2009, 10:51 PM   #7
Agent Richard07
Retired

The Habs Fan wrote: View Post
It could be a Jin without Sun episode too.
True, but I was thinking that we'd have Sun's vendetta played against Jin being alive on the island. That would make it a "Jin & Sun" episode. Plus, as the show progressed, the Jin/Sun episodes have been about both of them together.
Old February 11 2009, 11:04 PM   #8
brianbeercan
Lieutenant Commander

It could be argued that the premiere was Faraday centric, as he did (albeit briefly) appear in the initial flashback. Although the remainder of the episode wasn't overtly centered on him, he probably had more screen time and interesting things to do than anybody else.
Old February 12 2009, 01:49 AM   #9
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ Every source I've seen agrees that the season premiere was multi-centric. We've had a few of those before.

As for the seasons 1 - 3 format with the flashbacks, I suspect that the show will return to that once the Oceanic 6 are back on the island. We still have backstories that can't easily be explored without them, like Desmond's time in prison, Libby's story, and the three years the Oceanic 6 were off the island. I think that a big part of why we don't have regular flashbacks now is because the action is already split up enough between the mainland and crash survivors in different timelines.
Old February 12 2009, 02:58 AM   #10
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

^ Every source I've seen agrees that the season premiere was multi-centric.
Yeah. It was kind of all over the place. I'd make an argument that it was Sawyer's hour though.
Old February 12 2009, 04:03 AM   #11
Agent Richard07
Retired

I agree with you DeafPoet, young Rousseau is hot.

- Above Average.

- Great episode, lots of stuff. We didn't get enough of Rousseau's background, so I hope they can work that in at some point, and I think they will.

- I knew Locke would be burried alive once another time shift hit.

- I really want to know what's up with Dr. Sheppard. Looked like he was there in the flesh. Was he resurrected by the island somehow? If so, that still doesn't account for how he knows what he knows. Can't wait to find out more. Theories are welcome.
Old February 12 2009, 04:03 AM   #12
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Fucking Excellent!

Way better than the somewhat disappointing "The Little Prince." There were answers. There was drama. Shit twined up. I can't say enough good things.

Also, I think to answer the above questions, if this was anyone's episode it was Jin's. We shoulda seen that one coming.
Old February 12 2009, 04:04 AM   #13
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Above Average. I thought this was a very good episode, even though it's getting hard to understand what they're trying to do. Nice to see more of Rousseau's backstory and the return of Jin into the group. His reunion with Sawyer was cool. Poor Charlotte.
Old February 12 2009, 04:04 AM   #14
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

Excellent... 'nuff said.
Old February 12 2009, 04:06 AM   #15
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

- Great episode, lots of stuff. We didn't get enough of Rousseau's background, so I hope they can work that in at some point, and I think they will.
There really isn't much more to flesh out about her though, we know why and how she killed her people, what the smoke monster did, and that she had seen it.

The only thing really left to see is Ben taking her baby and calling it his own.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us