Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old February 11 2009, 12:30 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Frakes - Keeping In Touch

Although his Star Trek: The Next Generation days are behind him, Jonathan Frakes is still in contact with old castmates and isn't the only one who wouldn't mind doing a new The Next Generation movie.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, Star Trek is a part of Frake's past and it is now intertwined with his life. "Michael Dorn came to my house last night for dinner and we that very conversation," said Frakes. "It is part of you. We did one hundred and eighty-two episodes and four movies and countless conventions and countless Christmas parties, birthday parties and dinners. And you get recognized every day. For better or for worse, you epitaph will be 'you knew him best as Riker.'"

Frakes still socializes with his former The Next Generation actors. "I had dinner with Dorn last night," he said. "I got an email from Patrick [Stewart] yesterday, who is just back from starting rehearsals with Sir Ian McKellen on 'Waiting for Godot,' opening in the West End, in May." Frakes went on to add that Patrick Stewart would be "happy to make another movie (The Next Generation if everything came back together. I have spoken to him on that very subject."

In addition to his interest in his former show, Frakes has been paying attention to the newest Star Trek offering. When Star Trek XI was filming, he visited the set. "J.J. [Abrams] uses my favorite first [assistant director], Tommy Gormley," explained Frakes. "Tommy and I had breakfast and he said 'Come over to the set. J.J. wants to meet you.' So I went to the bridge and there was Mr. Abrams and this beautiful, incredible set."

Having seen the trailer, Frakes was positive about Star Trek XI and J.J. Abrams. "I like the car stuff, at the beginning, very much," he said. "I am on record as being a big J.J. fan. I think he is a great storyteller and I think he respects the franchise and I have nothing but high hopes for the success of this movie." As reported by TV Guide, Frakes feels that fans are ready for new Star Trek. "['Star Trek XI' has] been doled out in a way that's made people very anxious to go see it. And I think, unlike with 'Enterprise' and 'Nemesis,' there's been enough time without something new in the 'Star Trek' oeuvre that audiences are hungry again."

To read more, head to the articles located here and here.

Old February 11 2009, 01:37 AM   #2
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

Re: Frakes - Keeping In Touch

TrekToday wrote: View Post
Frakes went on to add that Patrick Stewart would be "happy to make another movie (The Next Generation) if everything came back together. I have spoken to him on that very subject."
When few were satisfied with Star Trek V: The Final Frontier as a farewell to the original crew, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country was made and righted the wrong a little bit.

I don't think a majority of fans were satisfied with Star Trek Nemesis as a finale for the TNG crew. Even some of those that enjoyed it did not feel it made for a solid goodbye.

If the new movie hits in May, and a new enthusiasm for all things Trek follows...

(takes deep breath)*

FRAKES, TALK PATRICK STEWART INTO ACCEPTING A SMALLER PAYCHECK FOR A NEW TNG MOVIE!

DIRECT IT!

GET EVERYONE IN IT!

HELL, HAVE Q IN IT! WE DON'T CARE IF HE LOOKS OLD!

SHOW EVERYONE TNG HAS THE HEART AND THE FOLLOWING TO PUT ONE LAST SUCCESS UNDER ITS BELT--FINANCIAL AND CREATIVE!

GIVE US A GOODBYE TNG TO REMEMBER!

*The thinking is: if I type loud enough, he can hear me through the article.
Old February 11 2009, 02:30 AM   #3
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain

Its too bad "Nemesis" had to be the one that killed any furtherTNG movies. They had a great run of movies and yes "Insurrection" was pretty good. I think its safe to say "Nemesis" is the Star Trek IV of the TNG era. I would
still like to see another movie but the idea of Data not being in it is a little bitter sweet. Wait, I know! Star Trek 14 "The Search For Data"
Old February 11 2009, 02:43 AM   #4
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Was Final Frontier intended to be the last one for TOS?
Old February 11 2009, 04:19 AM   #5
gottacook
Commander

What I'd like to see - maybe direct-to-DVD, since I don't think another theatrical Next Generation release is in the cards - is the cast sitting around the poker table for an hour and a half or so, ad-libbing in character and playing a hand every so often. One plus would be that the low lighting and green eyeshade would hide Data's face a bit, so Spiner wouldn't mind participating so much. (In fact I wouldn't have minded if "All Good Things..." had consisted of just the poker scenes, extended. Who really needed all that contrivance?)

[Fun fact: Frakes, as a teenager in the mid-1960s, was an orthodontic patient of my dad's, in Bethlehem, PA. My dad is old-school with respect to advertising - that is, he won't stoop to the level of competitors who are doing so - but nonetheless I once half-jokingly suggested to him (around the time of First Contact) that he get Frakes to do an endorsement, perhaps on a billboard.]
Old February 11 2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Ben
Lieutenant

They could do an awesome time travel movie where the original Enterprise crew and the TNG crew team up!
Old February 12 2009, 03:18 AM   #7
ArthurKing
Ensign

JNG wrote: View Post
TrekToday wrote: View Post
Frakes went on to add that Patrick Stewart would be "happy to make another movie (The Next Generation) if everything came back together. I have spoken to him on that very subject."
When few were satisfied with Star Trek V: The Final Frontier as a farewell to the original crew, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country was made and righted the wrong a little bit.

I don't think a majority of fans were satisfied with Star Trek Nemesis as a finale for the TNG crew. Even some of those that enjoyed it did not feel it made for a solid goodbye.

If the new movie hits in May, and a new enthusiasm for all things Trek follows...

(takes deep breath)*

FRAKES, TALK PATRICK STEWART INTO ACCEPTING A SMALLER PAYCHECK FOR A NEW TNG MOVIE!

DIRECT IT!

GET EVERYONE IN IT!

HELL, HAVE Q IN IT! WE DON'T CARE IF HE LOOKS OLD!

SHOW EVERYONE TNG HAS THE HEART AND THE FOLLOWING TO PUT ONE LAST SUCCESS UNDER ITS BELT--FINANCIAL AND CREATIVE!

GIVE US A GOODBYE TNG TO REMEMBER!

*The thinking is: if I type loud enough, he can hear me through the article.
I think this is a fantastic idea. I never faulted Generations--thought it was a decent first outing, in anticipation of several more. Thoroughly enjoyed First Contact. I've never understood the mishandling of the franchise thereafter. Insurrection was one of the most forgettable pieces of cinema--Trek or otherwise--that I've ever seen; Nemesis was a rushed disaster.

I would love to see a final TNG movie. However, the prospects for this are just not good. The idea comes off as too much of a fan fantasy. Honestly, think back: how many times do these 'comebacks' actually occur. VERY VERY VERY RARELY--and that's even when the money IS on the table (e.g., Seinfeld for the last 10 years).

Having said that, if it's going to happen, it needs to happen SOON. Stewart is in his late-60s; Spiner just turned 60; Frakes is in his mid-50s--they're not too old by any means, but they don't have the luxury of decades in which to sit and hope.

(An aside: Personally, I regard Spiner's position on data and aging as either: a. uninformed, or, b. intentionally misleading. The combination of makeup technqiues and, more importantly, CG enhancements really renders his concerns moot. Flag-class cinema CG work can, in this day and age, do damn near anything; this is all in addition to the fact that they could always adopt a 'Data choose to age' plank' if they so desired--I digress.)
Old February 12 2009, 03:55 AM   #8
donners22
Commodore

I loved all the TNG moves (yes, especially Nemesis), but it's quite sad to watch a group of people you saw in their prime 20-odd years down the track trying to do the same things. If they get an appropriate script, great, but I doubt it would be a commercial success, and I don't know how enjoyable it would be to watch.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
Old February 12 2009, 06:06 AM   #9
shanejayell
Captain

I would actually love to see Frakes star and direct "Star Trek: Titan." I mean, Nemesis set up for it and you could have the next-gen cast in there in supporting roles.

Old February 13 2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Ben
Lieutenant

ArthurKing wrote: View Post
(An aside: Personally, I regard Spiner's position on data and aging as either: a. uninformed, or, b. intentionally misleading. The combination of makeup technqiues and, more importantly, CG enhancements really renders his concerns moot. Flag-class cinema CG work can, in this day and age, do damn near anything; this is all in addition to the fact that they could always adopt a 'Data choose to age' plank' if they so desired--I digress.)
Not to mention that Data aging could easily be explained as Data intentionally modifying his appearance, so that he "ages" along with his friends. Sort of like that funny gray stripe through his hair in the TNG finale.