Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 9 2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Neroon
Mod of balance

Top 25 Box-Office Winners (adj for inflation)

We are always talking about "the top films of all time" with some spin in one direction or the other. Not long ago there was an interesting thread in here comparing a few well-known movie rating services, and what criteria they use. Laying aside discussions on the ever elusive definition of "best", I rather liked this one on IMDB

Box Office Power: All-Time Box Office Winners

It won't settle any arguments, but it's intriguing to see how the grosses compare when adjusted to something resembling a common denominator. What's more, they include some intriguing little bits of trivia with each film. For example, the movie Titanic actually cost more to make than the original ship herself. And before making Star Wars, 20th Century Fox best profit in a single year was $37,000,000. In 1977, when the film came out their profit more than doubled, to $79,000,000.

To coin a phrase .... "fascinating".
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 09:46 PM   #2
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl
Re: Top 25 Box-Office Winners (adj for inflation)

^ That's a most interesting list, Neroon.

As a classic film fan/buff, I am quite pleased to see GWTW in the top spot...and I'm also pleased to see Doctor Zhivago on there as it's one of my 3 favorite movies of all time. Also feel a bit vindicated by that as I think it's a better movie than Lawrence of Arabia...even though Lawrence gets more of a gush factor today as the top David Lean epic.

Not surprised to see alot of Disney movies on there - those things get recycled with each generation of toddlers.

I WAS surprised however, to see both of the two big Paul Newman/Robert Redford teamings on there - both The Sting AND Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid made the list.

Very interesting....

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Neroon
Mod of balance

I have seen most of the films on that list multiple times. For my money, "The Sting" and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" each have an incredibly high rewatchability factor, among the highest for my taste.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 05:02 AM   #4
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Wow, that's a very interesting list. Not surprised to see GWTW in the top spot.
Old February 10 2009, 05:39 AM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Fantasia is #6???

Is the total cumulative? I thought Fantasia was a flop when it was released. But a cumulative total gives old movies an unfair advantage.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 05:50 AM   #6
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Well didn't The Dark Knight make it to 600 million or something?
Old February 10 2009, 05:59 AM   #7
trevanian
Rear Admiral

can't believe JUNGLE BOOK was so high up. I loved it first run, but unlike things like the Adam West BATMAN theatrical (which stretched three blocks downtown san jose), I don't remember lines for JUNGLE at all.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 06:06 AM   #8
chrisspringob
Commodore

Box Office Mojo is the daddy of box office stats, and they have a rather different ranking of the inflation-adjusted box office list:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

That's the one that is more commonly used in the media, with Star Wars at #2. I'm not sure why there's the discrepancy between the two lists, but it's possible that IMDb just blindly took the release dates for the movies, and then applied the inflation correction, as if the movie made all its money in the initial year of its release. This will tend to inflate the #s for Disney movies and the like, which have been rereleased dozens of times.

Another thing that will inflate the numbers for kids movies is to base things off of admissions and then just use a constant multiplier to convert to dollars, rather than just work exclusively in dollars. That's because ticket prices are lower for kids, so kids movies will generate fewer dollars per person who sees it.

And actually, a third possible source of discrepancy could be between adjusting for inflation using something like the CPI vs. adjusting for inflation in ticket prices only. Over X years, you might have overall prices for everything go up by 50%, while the prices for movie tickets go up by 60%. So it depends on how you define "inflation".
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I find it interesting that on the first list, all of the Disney movies listed are the only ones I am not so fond of. I love Disney movies, but ones like 101 Dalmations, Fantasia, The Jungle Book, etc. are easily my least favorites. Go figure.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2009, 02:44 PM   #10
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Well didn't The Dark Knight make it to 600 million or something?
I didn't do any checking, but that figure isn't adjusted for inflation, so it wouldn't probably be in the top 10.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote