Perth Mint Voyager Coins
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup

Pegg Omaze Video Features Outtakes

Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 27 2009, 03:40 AM   #46
uniderth
Commander

Re: S.S. Enterprise UEV-47

That's awesome work harry. I've been building up my courage to do some 2D schematics of my version. That's encouraging to see one already done. I like your interpretation.

I wish I could find some good info about the "Starship" series.
Old March 28 2009, 03:47 PM   #47
EmperorKalan
Commander

uniderth wrote: View Post
I wish I could find some good info about the "Starship" series.
I'm not sure any "good" information about the series even exists, since it never got off the ground. That sketch may be the best "tech" thing that survives. (and anything else that would have been good about the show was likely later worked into TNG scripts, much like a number of "Phase II" scripts were.

Harry--
I'll join the chorus i appauding your orthos. What do you think of my argument up-thread that with all the changes that have happened since the Spaceflight Chronology came out (i.e., accurate pics of the UEV-47 vs. Rick Sternbach's book art; completely different timelines, and placement in the timelines), the Declaration class is probably better treated as a completely different ship class than whatever the UEV-47 was?
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2009, 04:13 PM   #48
Harry
Captain

Well, apart from the general shapes, the ringship in the SFC definitely seems completely unrelated to the Jefferies-ringship(s). I personally chose to ignore the SFC version of the ship, since it seems so incompatible in both size and function with what the original sketches show. I did only take over the "Declaration" name for the type of ship, imagining at least three ships: Declaration, Constitution and Enterprise. I did a very quick mockup of the Declaration, assuming its configuration of modules made it look a bit more like the SFC artwork: http://www.fleetyard.net/temp/trek/declaration-sfc.png
Old March 28 2009, 06:18 PM   #49
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I rather imagine Roddenberry wasn't yet very invested in the 'Starship' premise when that initial information about it was released and was just using the pre-existing Jefferies design to try to sell the premise. That might explain why it doesn't really match with the capabilities the ship was supposed to have. Had their been generated interest for it, they might have redesigned the concept or came up with a new design.

Oh, and nice work there, Harry.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 10:24 PM   #50
Vahmp
Ensign

Hi all,

I'm new here, and while brousing the site, I came across this topic.

Interesting debate you all are having.

One thing none of you have mentioned yet, is the fact that there are copies of Jefferies blueprints out there for the XCV-330.

Yes, they were published back in the 70's in a Sci-Fi mag (I don't remember which one thou). Some of those blueprints servived the decades, I still have my original mag copies, and so do a few other people out there (including "Fantastic Plastic", who have mada a model from those plans.

Uniderth, Your design is kool, very good, but there are tiny discrepencise from Jefferies original design.

I'm going to try to upload the scanned blueprints, but if I can't, I have them in my PhotoBucket album.

Here's the link:

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/z...mp/Blueprints/

Laterz....
Vahmp
Vahmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2009, 10:28 PM   #51
Vahmp
Ensign

Ok let's see if this works.

Old October 23 2009, 10:33 PM   #52
Vahmp
Ensign

Ok, now that I know it works, here's the rest....

Those are the extirior, next is the interior blueprints of the main bridge, the head part of the ship.

And BTW.... XCV|-330 = Science vessel.

Not a liner, not a warship, simply a Science Vessel...
Old October 23 2009, 10:36 PM   #53
Vahmp
Ensign

The interior.....

Hope you guys enjoy them, and hope it settles any doughts about this ships function, and true size.

Have a good one,
Laterz...
Vahmp
Old October 23 2009, 11:50 PM   #54
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Thanks for these
Old October 24 2009, 02:59 AM   #55
therealfoxbat
Commander

Just out of curiosity, has anyone come up with the idea yet that this design might be Earth's attempt to reverse-engineer the type of warp nacelles on Vulcan ships from the Star Trek Enterprise era...?

I really DO have a squirrelly wrath, you know...
therealfoxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 03:26 AM   #56
SeerSGB
Admiral

therealfoxbat wrote: View Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone come up with the idea yet that this design might be Earth's attempt to reverse-engineer the type of warp nacelles on Vulcan ships from the Star Trek Enterprise era...?
That's been my theory since we first saw that Vulcan ringships in Enterprise. Makes sense that humans would try to mimic Vulcan designs thinking that was the key to higher warp speeds.
Old October 24 2009, 05:55 PM   #57
EmperorKalan
Commander

therealfoxbat wrote: View Post
You mean like this?

EmperorKalan wrote: View Post
My take is that it was a separate warp-reseach project, trying to replicate Vulcan-style torroidal nacelles instead of further developing Cochrane's cylindrical design.
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 05:08 AM   #58
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

I guess that could also depend on who actually invented warp drive. I know that cannon on screen states that the Vulcans had warp drive first and Zefrem Cochrane, my spelling might be wrong there, came up with it for the human race, but in the spaceflight chronology I get the impression that it's stated that humans came up with it first.

I might be remembering wrong since it's been many years since I've looked through the book, but I seem to recall that they state that Zefrem was from Alpha Centauri and had theorized about the possibility of warp drive, but with the appearance of humans from Earth, he was able to bring his theories to reality and everyone else got it from that.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 06:28 AM   #59
therealfoxbat
Commander

IcecreamLtDan wrote: View Post
I guess that could also depend on who actually invented warp drive. I know that cannon on screen states that the Vulcans had warp drive first and Zefrem Cochrane, my spelling might be wrong there, came up with it for the human race, but in the spaceflight chronology I get the impression that it's stated that humans came up with it first.

I might be remembering wrong since it's been many years since I've looked through the book, but I seem to recall that they state that Zefrem was from Alpha Centauri and had theorized about the possibility of warp drive, but with the appearance of humans from Earth, he was able to bring his theories to reality and everyone else got it from that.
In Spaceflight Chronology, Zefrem Cochrane developed the theory behind warp drive and shared it with humans who visited Alpha Centauri in a sub-light ship in 2048. The humans transmitted the data back to Earth, which allowed Earth to develop a working warp drive in 2055. (It seems Alpha Centauri knew how to make a warp drive, but lacked the materials and/or resources to do so...) In 2065, humans made first contact with Vulcans, who had already developed warp drive more than a century earlier...

I really DO have a squirrelly wrath, you know...
therealfoxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 11:32 AM   #60
Clawhammer
Commander

View Clawhammer's Twitter Profile

Vahmp wrote: View Post
The interior.....

Hope you guys enjoy them, and hope it settles any doughts about this ships function, and true size.

Have a good one,
Laterz...
Vahmp
Thanks! RARE but useful material!