TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 12 2009, 08:41 PM   #31
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: S.S. Enterprise UEV-47

Sin87 wrote: View Post
Legacy is canon.
Ok I'm going to have to ask for proof there, I have never seen anything indicating Legacy was in any way canon.
Old February 12 2009, 08:58 PM   #32
uniderth
Commander

Ok some more updates on the model. I've modeled the shell of the hanger bay.

In this image I put a shuttle that I'm working on just to see how it looks.

This is one of the shuttlecraft that go with this ship. I'm hoping I can fit six shuttles in here. There will be two Orbit to Surface shuttles(more like shuttlepods), one cargo shuttle, one long range shuttle, one ship to ship(docking) shuttle, and one "exploration" shuttle like the one shown.

EDIT: Now that I see these on a regular monitor instead of my laptop they look pretty dark. I'll turn up the lighting in future images.
Old February 12 2009, 09:17 PM   #33
Sin87
Lieutenant

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Sin87 wrote: View Post
Legacy is canon.
Ok I'm going to have to ask for proof there, I have never seen anything indicating Legacy was in any way canon.
I don't view books & novels as canon because they repeatedly come up with continuity errors, but for games such as this it's hard not to call it canon after all it stars William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, and Scott Bakula.

If you look at the mainstream games (Legacy, Armada & Bridge Commander) you'll notice there dates are designed to work in with the TV & film stories. If that's not enough then the script for Legacy is by D.C. Fontana (That's the canon shot!) and Derek Chester (Never heard of).

From my point of view the only difference between this & the TV / Films is that you get to play the roles & anyway would you argue that a game like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is not canon to Lucas' franchise ?.
Sin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2009, 09:22 PM   #34
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

^Star Trek: Tactical Assault and Encounters both have William Shatner, Starfleet Academy features at least two of the actors doing live action scenes just for the game, Shattered Universe brought back several TOS actors to do voice overs. That does not make them canon.

Anyhoo, those images are great uniderth, I love the shuttle design, interesting idea giving them coil like features too.
Old February 12 2009, 09:31 PM   #35
Praetor
Vice Admiral

As much as I like 'Legacy,' and despite the fact that Dorothy Fonatan co-wrote it, as a video game, it's part of the body of works considered not-canon.

I really like those updates, uniderth. Very, very nice.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2009, 09:45 PM   #36
Sin87
Lieutenant

The way I view this is you get sandbox games like with mobile phones, java or flash games, then you get those games that have stories that play out as if they were an episodic mini-series.

As for Shattered Universe it had a good story, but due to the fact they repeatedly kept going back to TOS episodes I wouldn't say this game's canon. Also the gameplay was terrible.

Back on topic, I congratulate you uniderth for manging to keep the ship feeling like the vessel it's meant to be as I tried building this last night & it just didn't look right.

Here's a nice design aid
http://www.battleclinic.com/docks/fi...c64a524d39.jpg
Sin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2009, 09:47 PM   #37
uniderth
Commander

Star Wars has a weird system of canon the highest being G Canon. Something like that. I actually don't consider Episods 1,2 and 3 canon for Star Wars. I can't even stand to watch Episode 1, it's kids movie. Yes they did get better as they went along but they are just so horribly done. Anakin is a little whiner. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of good stuff there that could make some good prequels. But there's so much other crap that it detracts from any benefits. Wow you guys got me going on Star Wars. Anywho back to the correct universe.

Thanks for the compliments. About the shuttle you've of course noticed the two half rings on the back. That is actually the warp drive in storage position. If the shuttle ever goes to warp the back half ring rotates down and locks with the front half. Thus it forms a complete ring. It can then use it's warp drive.
Old February 12 2009, 09:52 PM   #38
uniderth
Commander

Sin87 thanks for that image. I never actually thought about putting the name on the side of the neck before. What I think is cool is that there are many different versions of this ship out there. Each one can bring a source of inspiration for some design feature. And since there is nothing really established about this design nobody's design is more right than anyone else's.

Except for my design which is the right one! Haha, sorry couldn't resist.
Old February 12 2009, 10:04 PM   #39
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

uniderth wrote: View Post
Thanks for the compliments. About the shuttle you've of course noticed the two half rings on the back. That is actually the warp drive in storage position. If the shuttle ever goes to warp the back half ring rotates down and locks with the front half. Thus it forms a complete ring. It can then use it's warp drive.
Ahh, thats pretty cool.
Old February 14 2009, 01:42 AM   #40
Stardate
Fleet Captain

Here's how someone guessed who the ring warp drive works, or at least it is set up: I found this picture on this site http://www.subspace-comms.net/index.php?topic=259.0

Old February 14 2009, 05:19 AM   #41
uniderth
Commander

Thanks for that website. It's very similar to what I was thinking.
Old March 25 2009, 01:46 AM   #42
Pegasus
Lieutenant

I thought that the .U.S.S. Enterprise XCV 330 was a Civilian ship not a .U.E.S.P.A. warship.

From Memory Alpha:
Space Flight Chronology states that the USS Enterprise, Declaration class, is a 300m long starliner for 800 passengers. As Paul Cargile pointed out some time ago, this is complete bogus. At 300m, the inhabitable section would be smaller than the Defiant, and imagine 800 people in there on a long interstellar journey! The name and registry is "USS Enterprise XCV 330". As the ship must have been launched prior to the foundation of the Federation, "USS" may stand for "United States Ship".
Of course the size of the ship and the habitable section would have to be increased, but it would still make more sense as a civilian ship then a warship. Think about it, who would build a ship with the warp engine so vunerable? With no sheilds, (it woulod have none, one volley of the nucleur missiles both sides used in the war and that plyon connecting the engine to the ring is destroyed and artificail gravity is offline.
I'm not saying the civilian or US Air Force/ Lockheed Martin Skunk Works builders would be shoddy, just cost cutting.
Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2009, 12:03 PM   #43
uniderth
Commander

The Enterprise has been called many things through out time. The only thing we really know is it's shape.

This gives us authors and designers a lot of room for personal interpretation. Mine is that this ship started as the S.S. Enterprise UEV-47. A UESPA Science ship. It gets brought into the Romulan war in some capacity that I haven't figured out yet. Then After the war is over and the Federation is founded it gets donated to the new Federation. Afterwhich it gets a new registry as the U.S.S. Enterprise XCV-330.
Old March 26 2009, 01:31 PM   #44
Harry
Captain

Not to steal any thunder, but here's what I completed recently:
http://www.fleetyard.net/temp/trek/d...on-final-1.png

I've tried to stay as close as possible to the shape and dimensions of the Jefferies '74 "Starship" blueprints, with coloring and signage based on aridas's work. Those blueprints describe the ship as proposed for the aborted "Starship" show. Lincoln Enterprises ran an ad on those blueprints, and the show: http://www.trekplace.com/article13.html

It basically explains that the sphere on the starboard side is a "metatransit system", basically a holographic environment that channels data from a probe, allowing exploration without leaving the ship. I don't know how all that could be made to fit into the Star Trek universe, or whether we'd really want to do that in the first place.
Old March 26 2009, 03:16 PM   #45
EmperorKalan
Commander

Pegasus wrote: View Post
I thought that the .U.S.S. Enterprise XCV 330 was a Civilian ship not a .U.E.S.P.A. warship.

From Memory Alpha:
Space Flight Chronology states that the USS Enterprise, Declaration class, is a 300m long starliner for 800 passengers. As Paul Cargile pointed out some time ago, this is complete bogus. At 300m, the inhabitable section would be smaller than the Defiant, and imagine 800 people in there on a long interstellar journey! The name and registry is "USS Enterprise XCV 330". As the ship must have been launched prior to the foundation of the Federation, "USS" may stand for "United States Ship".
Of course the size of the ship and the habitable section would have to be increased, but it would still make more sense as a civilian ship then a warship. Think about it, who would build a ship with the warp engine so vunerable? With no sheilds, (it woulod have none, one volley of the nucleur missiles both sides used in the war and that plyon connecting the engine to the ring is destroyed and artificail gravity is offline.
I'm not saying the civilian or US Air Force/ Lockheed Martin Skunk Works builders would be shoddy, just cost cutting.
In the SFC, all Federation ships were "USS", even the civilian ships. As for the rest, it goes back to what I was arguing earlier: the Declaration-class and the XCV cannot be the same ship. They could be ships with similar configuration in different time periods, but there is no "clean" way to adapt the Declarations to what we know of the XCV.
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote