RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,273
Posts: 5,349,851
Members: 24,610
Currently online: 628
Newest member: VST

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: How do you grade Friday the 13th?
A+ 1 6.67%
A 3 20.00%
A- 1 6.67%
B+ 4 26.67%
B 1 6.67%
B- 0 0%
C+ 1 6.67%
C 0 0%
C- 1 6.67%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 15 2009, 09:44 PM   #46
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain
 
StarTrek1701's Avatar
 
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

Julianna Guill should be required to hang around topless everywhere she goes. "Perfect nipple placement!".

StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2009, 11:33 PM   #47
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

I got to see it with a pretty lively crowd, and as expected, it really did enhance the experience. You get so used to watching these movies on DVD at home that it's easy to forget how fun they can be as a shared experience.

Story-wise, it had its ups and downs, but I think it was a much more solid effort than most horror remakes. The obvious comparison is to Rob Zombie's Halloween, but they're in two separate camps. (Sorry.) This movie made more of an effort to be fun, while Zombie was trying to go for a grittier experience.

The main criticism I have about this one is, after a great opening sequence, the rest of the movie never really gets back up to that level. There are a few logic holes peppered throughout, but I guess that's Friday the 13th for you.

Jason keeping a prisoner was really weird. I get the explanation for it, but it doesn't really ring true. It seems a little forced.

The direction was competent, but not really all that good. The camera movement was usually too jerky, and there were only a few jump scares, and some of those were cheap, like the dog at the screen door. But a lot more could have been done to build the suspense in most scenes. The death of the character they were setting up as the Final Girl should have been a huge shock, but it was really just like they were throwing in one more body. That one really needed more build-up.

I also agree with some of the sentiments I've read that the kills weren't particularly inventive, for the most part. I get that, as that's always been a hallmark of the Jason films. You can't go out of your way to show us a wood-chipper, then not use it.

One thing it really did right though, is it made the dialogue fun enough that it didn't feel like it was dragging toward each kill, which is another unfortunate hallmark of Jason flicks. There were plenty of funny exchanges, and they managed to make some of the characters pretty likable. When Chewie went into the shed, a woman behind me said, "Oh, I don't want him to die." So they did that job well.

Derek Mears was a great Jason. He was pretty intimidating, and while that's not hard to do at his size, he was clearly acting under that mask. He was putting out some genuine hate vibes, there.

Also, the reviews describing Jason as a pot farmer are silly. I don't even think the weed was bait, as I'd guessed. It seems like it cropped up because of the events described in the credits. Pamela whacked a bunch of pot smokers, and the pot left behind grew plants. Seeds tend to do that. From some reviews, I half expected to see him watering them.

I rated it a B+. I can't be too harsh with it, because of the source material and the things they did right, and I had a good time seeing it, partially because of the movie itself, and partially because of the crowd.
__________________
"Love means never having to say you're ugly."
- Dr. Phibes

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; February 16 2009 at 02:07 AM.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 12:04 AM   #48
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

John Locke taught Jason how to grow weed, and now Jason is selling it to fund his expedition to find the Island.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 12:21 AM   #49
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Also, the reviews describing Jason as a pot farmer are silly. I don't even think the weed was bait, as I'd guessed. It seems like it cropped up because of the events described in the credits. Pamela whacked a bunch of pot smokers, and the pot left behind grew plants. Seeds tend to do that. From some reviews, I half expected to see him watering them.
I meant my remarks sarcastically, FWIW. I think your comments were pretty spot-on, particularly with regard to it never getting back up to the beginning quality. (And technically didn't Jason whack the first pot-growers? Pam just whacked the love-making counselors.)

However, I disagree on the likability of the second group of characters. The only one of them I felt bad for was the girl who helped Clay. Chewie and the hookah bit was funny, but he still annoyed the crap outta me. I much preferred the first group of characters (the pot-ranchers ) but even they were somewhat 'meh.'

Clay and his sister I felt empathy towards, though, but you really couldn't help but feel bad for them. The writers did everything to make them seem sympathetic, right up to the mother bit.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 12:22 AM   #50
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

Yeah, my comments about the pot weren't serious either, it was just a thought that went through my head while watching it.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 12:56 AM   #51
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

Oh, I wasn't talking about you guys. Sorry about that.

I was referring to genuine reviews in papers and horror sites. A lot of them didn't seem to be joking. I read one that claimed that Jason killed the weed dealer for stealing his crop. Seriously.

Praetor wrote: View Post
However, I disagree on the likability of the second group of characters. The only one of them I felt bad for was the girl who helped Clay. Chewie and the hookah bit was funny, but he still annoyed the crap outta me. I much preferred the first group of characters (the pot-ranchers ) but even they were somewhat 'meh.'
Maybe "likable" is a little too strong, though I didn't have a problem with Chewie and his friend and liked them well enough.

I mostly meant that the dialogue and performances were decent enough to make them believable enough as characters. Not the usual "these kids are here just to get killed" sort of thing. The characters were a few notches higher than that.
__________________
"Love means never having to say you're ugly."
- Dr. Phibes
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 01:46 AM   #52
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral
 
The Evil Dead's Avatar
 
Location: 1123, 6536, 5321
View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

People died in entertaining ways, I saw some cans with perfect nipple placement, Jason Voorhees reminded me why he's the fucking king of the slasher genre (Beat it Myers).

I don't see many movies that get the audience to cheer and applaud 15 minutes in when the title card comes up. That's why you gotta see this movie in a packed theater.

A (for what it is)
__________________
"I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. I’m a machine and I could know much more."
- Cavil, Battlestar Galactica
The Evil Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2009, 02:05 AM   #53
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral
 
Gil T.Azell's Avatar
 
Location: On the Left Coast
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
I haven't seen this yet, however, I like this idea that this film is a remake of the first three films, rather than just one. I'll probably see this now. Thanks.
I didn't know that , though the first clue should have been the hockey mask, as I thought Jason didn't start wearing it until Friday the 13th 3-D ( the 3rd film, and the only one I saw.)



StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Julianna Guill should be required to hang around topless everywhere she goes. "Perfect nipple placement!".

__________________
When you walk into a building soaking wet and someone asks you if it is raining then just smile and answer:"No, I just took my fish for a walk!"
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2009, 12:06 AM   #54
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
I also agree with some of the sentiments I've read that the kills weren't particularly inventive, for the most part. I get that, as that's always been a hallmark of the Jason films. You can't go out of your way to show us a wood-chipper, then not use it.
The kills were rather "normal" but I do prefer it to the torture porn of Saw that seems to have taken in so many. I agree 100% about the wood chipper though. Its one of my only real negatives on the film.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2009, 11:36 PM   #55
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral
 
ManOnTheWave's Avatar
 
Location: ManOnTheWave
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

For what it is, I give it an A. It's more or less a remake of three with bits of one and two used as a preamble. I think it's easily the best of the series, however, I was hoping for the film to get into the zombie Jason of later in the series. Perhaps the sequel we all know is coming will go there.
__________________
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
ManOnTheWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 03:41 AM   #56
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

Awesome! Excellent! A+

Whatever the highest grade is.

That was easily the most fun I had in a movie theater in months. Loads of great kills, blood, hot girls, and the really long cliche horror movie sex scene. Sometimes you go to a movie just to be entertained and this movie did that well.

The movie also HAD to have one of the longest opening sequence scenes ever. I checked my watch and I think it went on for 30 minutes before the title finally appeared onscreen! Holy crap that was long. It was cool though. Sort of like a mini movie inside the movie.

We also got the closest we will ever get to a Friday the 13th and Supernatural crossover with Sam Winchester vs Jason Voorhees!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 04:14 AM   #57
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

Dream wrote: View Post
We also got the closest we will ever get to a Friday the 13th and Supernatural crossover with Sam Winchester vs Jason Voorhees!
Funny thing about that, I think Jason actually was supposed to appear in a Supernatural episode last season, but either the writers' strike screwed it up or there was some legal issue that got in the way.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2009, 09:17 AM   #58
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Friday the 13th - Movie(remake) discussion, grading and SPOILERS

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
We also got the closest we will ever get to a Friday the 13th and Supernatural crossover with Sam Winchester vs Jason Voorhees!
Funny thing about that, I think Jason actually was supposed to appear in a Supernatural episode last season, but either the writers' strike screwed it up or there was some legal issue that got in the way.
I believe it was legal issues, probably because of this movie.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
friday the 13th, horror, jason voorhees

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.