Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 6 2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Minor 360 dashboard update causing RROD (supposedly)

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/02...-causing-rrod/

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/02/06/nxe_patch_rrod/

I'm a bit skeptical that such a tiny fix for a less-than-ubiquitous problem is causing such a critical hardware failure across the board, but it does seem to have affected too many people to be a coincidence.

Now though I'm worried about accepting this "mandatory" update in case it shitbricks mine too. I've never had any problems with my 'box in 12 months, but still.

Has anyone accepted the patch? Any problems at all?

Also, why the hell is an update like this "mandatory"? That's absurd. If it were a PC, would you install patches to fix issues you didn't even have? Most 360s don't even have HDMI ports, and of them, not all of them are being used. Of those, not all of them are using HDMI for audio (I myself use HDMI and optical). Of those, not everyone was getting the sound issues.

Why the hell does EVERYONE need to install this, Microsoft? Assholes.
Old February 6 2009, 04:09 PM   #2
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Re: Minor 360 dashboard update causing RROD (supposedly)

I updated and haven't experienced any problems yet.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 04:13 PM   #3
CommanderTrip
Captain

I patched it a short while ago, and my xbox does seem to be freezing up/lagging a bit recently.....

hasn't RROD yet. I'm hopeful if there is a problem, microsoft will fix it soon.
Old February 6 2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Mistral
Vice Admiral

I patched on Wed night and played COD5 for 4 hours-no issues for me or my buddies. It could depend on which chip set you have, too. Dunno, first I'd heard about it....

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Thank god I have not had the 360 online recently so i have yet to update it, but seeing as I'm letting my gold sub lapse back to silver next month for the foreseeable future I'm not really bothered about connecting to xblive anymore..

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 05:23 PM   #6
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Haven't been online for a while myself which seems to be a good thing.
Old February 6 2009, 05:40 PM   #7
Twilight
Vice Admiral

I updated my 360 yesterday - no issues, everything worked fine afterwards.

I wasn't having the HDMI problem anyway, though, so the update wasn't necessary (but it is mandatory).

disclaimer: okay, I haven't tested *everything* on the 360 post-update. Netflix specifically (which apparently may have issues after the update). I'll check it out. ("everyday" operation - operating the menus, playing a game, etc. worked fine though).
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Rii
Rear Admiral

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Also, why the hell is an update like this "mandatory"? That's absurd. If it were a PC, would you install patches to fix issues you didn't even have? Most 360s don't even have HDMI ports, and of them, not all of them are being used. Of those, not all of them are using HDMI for audio (I myself use HDMI and optical). Of those, not everyone was getting the sound issues.

They probably want to maintain a consistent software platform across all machines, makes things easier for both developers and Microsoft themselves. Besides, do you really want to dig through the XBL equivalent of Windows Update?
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 05:49 PM   #9
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

Every time there's a patch or a major game release people's 360's die and it's blamed on the patch/game. I think it's more selection bias than anything else.
Old February 6 2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Rii wrote: View Post
Jim Steele wrote: View Post

They probably want to maintain a consistent software platform across all machines, makes things easier for both developers and Microsoft themselves. Besides, do you really want to dig through the XBL equivalent of Windows Update?
True, but the .AAC and .MP4 update was optional, why not this?

Perhaps it's just my PC-maintenence instincts getting the better of me, but I still cannot abide the idea of installing an HDMI fix on a machine that doesn't even have an HDMI port.

I mean, think about it, if there was a BIOS patch for your motherboard that specifically fixed an incompatibility with S3 graphics cards, but you were happily using an Nvidea card, would you install it?

Arrghman wrote:
Every time there's a patch or a major game release people's 360's die and it's blamed on the patch/game. I think it's more selection bias than anything else.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm inclined to believe that over the idea that a wee patch can cause a catastrophic hardware fault, but still, the stories I'm reading are worrying.
Old February 6 2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Arrghman wrote: View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. In all likelihood, an RROD happening during a patch update is bad timing and a coincidence.
Old February 6 2009, 06:44 PM   #12
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Well I got back into the 360 world a little over a month ago. I got one of the new "Jasper" units. And up until 2 nights ago, I wasn't having any issue and was pretty happy with it. Now since the update, it's locked up on me 2 nights in a row.

Could be a coincidence, could be a bug in Fallout. But I'd been playing Fallout for some time without any issues, but after the update, then the freezes started.
Old February 6 2009, 07:48 PM   #13
Mistral
Vice Admiral

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
Well I got back into the 360 world a little over a month ago. I got one of the new "Jasper" units. And up until 2 nights ago, I wasn't having any issue and was pretty happy with it. Now since the update, it's locked up on me 2 nights in a row.

Could be a coincidence, could be a bug in Fallout. But I'd been playing Fallout for some time without any issues, but after the update, then the freezes started.
Did you load the Alaskan DLC? I've heard about freezing with that. You should have heard my buddy, Duke, cursing about it the other night...

ed.-went to IGN360 and Team Xbox and couldn't find a word about RRODs caused by patch....

Last edited by Mistral; February 6 2009 at 08:08 PM.
Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2009, 08:11 PM   #14
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Just took the plunge. No RROD (yet... ). Played 15 mins of geometry wars but that's by no means a proper test. I guess an hour or five of Oblivion will put it through its paces.
Old February 6 2009, 08:14 PM   #15
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Mistral wrote: View Post
Did you load the Alaskan DLC? .
No, I didn't download that, I'm just playing the regular game. The first time it happened, was later in the evening after downloading the update. I didn't give it much thought, (afterall 360s do that) but the next day I heard this story about the patch and hardware problems and I thought "Hmm." But again, I didn't really think too much about it.

But now, after the second freeze up in as many nights, I'm a little concerned. Before the update, it ran fine, now it doesn't. I need to put fallout aside and play Gears 2 I guess and see what it does because I have heard complaints about FO being buggy. Although as I said, I had not had any issues with it UNTIL the update.