TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old February 24 2009, 04:09 AM   #46
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: Braga On 'Star Trek: Enterprise'

number6 wrote: View Post
As far as I know Braga is just a writer on 24. Manny Coto is either head writer or show runner.. I can't recall which at the moment.
Braga's one of the co-executive producers as well as a co-producer on 24, in addition to writing duties, so I think it's fair to say that he has quite a bit of say on the show. Coto, however, is an executive producer, a different title than Braga, which begs the question: just what is the difference between:

-Executive Producer
-Co-Exeuctive Producer
-Producer
-Co-Producer

...?
Old February 24 2009, 06:02 AM   #47
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Again Braga had NOTHING to do with the last two Star Trek movies. As far as I know Braga is just a writer on 24. Manny Coto is either head writer or show runner.. I can't recall which at the moment.
It'd be funny if Braga is now under Coto (although I think that overall Braga is a better writer).
When they spoke at Vegas Con, it was made pretty clear that Braga was working under Coto.

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Braga's one of the co-executive producers as well as a co-producer on 24, in addition to writing duties, so I think it's fair to say that he has quite a bit of say on the show.
Not that much. Braga is writing for 24, but also developing another series.
Coto, however, is an executive producer, a different title than Braga, which begs the question: just what is the difference between:

-Executive Producer
-Co-Exeuctive Producer
-Producer
-Co-Producer
...?
Money.
Old February 24 2009, 06:27 AM   #48
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Not that much.
Forgive me for saying this, but it sort of sounds like you're downplaying his role on the show. His name has been in all the credits this season (including the TV movie), so he's definitely doing more than "just writing."

Money.
Surely there must be more to it.
Old February 24 2009, 06:47 AM   #49
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Not that much.
Forgive me for saying this, but it sort of sounds like you're downplaying his role on the show. His name has been in all the credits this season (including the TV movie), so he's definitely doing more than "just writing."
I heard that from Braga himself. He's been busy delevloping Flash Forward.

Money.
Not always.
Old February 24 2009, 08:16 AM   #50
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Not that much.
But to be a producer of some sort, you'd have to have some sort of influence and control in the first place. That's just a requirement of the job. Even more impressive as he made the leap from niche sci-fi franchise to non sci-fi.

It's funny how a couple pages ago, I was bashing Braga for what I perceived to be his faults with modern Trek and you said any of his faults were small ones. Here I am praising what I perceive to be a professional, non-Trek related accomplishment for Braga and now it's getting downplayed.

Money.
Not always.[/quote]

Sounds a wee bit too cynical, frankly.
Old February 24 2009, 08:21 AM   #51
number6
Vice Admiral

But to be a producer of some sort, you'd have to have some sort of influence and control in the first place. That's just a requirement of the job. Even more impressive as he made the leap from niche sci-fi franchise to non sci-fi.
Nope. There are different kinds of producers. Not all of them are creative positions. Some are in charge of technical aspects of the show, some keep the schedule running on time, and some pony up the dough.. Just to name a few.
Old February 24 2009, 07:57 PM   #52
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Ah yes..."My Trekkie Valentine" Braga...

Isn't he writing sitcoms now?
Old February 24 2009, 09:20 PM   #53
number6
Vice Admiral

I'd hardly call 24 a sitcom.
C'mon now.
Old February 24 2009, 11:48 PM   #54
MANT!
Rear Admiral

I always thought that the entire writing team behind Voyager and Enterprise had become creatively bankrupt..and those series suffered as a result..both became "gimmick" shows..in other words.."What gimmick can we use to increase ratings"?

I felt that in the 4th season, Enterprise finally found it's voice..it was just too late..and to me Voyager never really found it's style...

TATV was a severe disappointment, and I am proud to state that I have never seen a repeat viewing of that episode..it was a slap in the face to the cast of Enterprise and was the final attempted gimmick from some truly burnt-out writers..
Old February 25 2009, 01:04 AM   #55
number6
Vice Admiral

So?
Old February 25 2009, 04:37 AM   #56
Zeke
Captain

Still can't get over what a reasonable, intelligent Braga thread this is. What a difference a few years make.

Cyke101, I'm that other Mission Impossible 2 fan you've been looking for. It's a fun movie with some interesting if silly ideas, and it doesn't rely on a betrayal higher up in the organization like the other two films do. Also, Tom Cruise looks disturbingly good with long hair.

number6, those three episodes are the big ones, but he has other clunkers to answer for. (Rick Berman gets half the "credit" for the ENT ones anyway.) TNG's "Genesis" is pretty notorious. Others depend on who you ask -- he's a polarizing writer, with many love-em-or-hate-em episodes like "Cause and Effect" and "Projections" on his resume.
Old February 25 2009, 05:18 AM   #57
number6
Vice Admiral

number6, those three episodes are the big ones, but he has other clunkers to answer for. (Rick Berman gets half the "credit" for the ENT ones anyway.) TNG's "Genesis" is pretty notorious. Others depend on who you ask -- he's a polarizing writer, with many love-em-or-hate-em episodes like "Cause and Effect" and "Projections" on his resume.
Genesis wasn't nearly as bad as Masks!! Cause and Effect and Projections are stand out episodes. I never heard of them being mentioned in any other context.

I'm not a fan of the M:I movies. They totally ignored what made the TV series so good and just made it a bad action movie vehicle for Tom "Xenu" Cruise!! The only one that even came close to the spirit of the TV show was the third one, coincidentally written and produced by the team making Star Trek now.
Old February 25 2009, 10:40 AM   #58
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Genesis wasn't nearly as bad as Masks!! Cause and Effect and Projections are stand out episodes. I never heard of them being mentioned in any other context.
Put me down as a sincere fan of "Cause and Effect," but "Projections?" Mmm, I'll pass.

I'm not a fan of the M:I movies. They totally ignored what made the TV series so good and just made it a bad action movie vehicle for Tom "Xenu" Cruise!! The only one that even came close to the spirit of the TV show was the third one, coincidentally written and produced by the team making Star Trek now.
I liked MI 2 partly because it restored the team aspect that was sorely missing in 1, though it was still the Tom Cruise show. The third one I feel is a big improvement in the team aspect and the best of the three, though the action could have been more subdued (the TV shows were always slick, without guns blazing).
Old February 25 2009, 06:27 PM   #59
number6
Vice Admiral

Put me down as a sincere fan of "Cause and Effect," but "Projections?" Mmm, I'll pass.

I liked MI 2 partly because it restored the team aspect that was sorely missing in 1, though it was still the Tom Cruise show. The third one I feel is a big improvement in the team aspect and the best of the three, though the action could have been more subdued (the TV shows were always slick, without guns blazing).
M:I 3 also had Phillip Seymour Hoffman!! The guns blazing aspect was pretty much common to all three films and that's where I think they failed. The series was certainly more about intrigue and deception. I don't think Tom Cruise thought too much about that.

Projections was a VOY highlight for me. That's when the Doctor was still my favourite character, before he became an opera singer and started doing duets with 7. Projections really gives us an insight into the EMH's psyche as he questions the nature of his existance. That's what I liked the most about it. I had no idea it was considered a "clunker."
Old February 25 2009, 06:56 PM   #60
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

I'd hardly call 24 a sitcom.
C'mon now.
Yeah, but I meant to imply he SHOULD be writing sitcoms...