IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old February 10 2009, 07:30 PM   #16
anti-matter
Rear Admiral

Re: Braga On 'Star Trek: Enterprise'

Yes that was a bad ending for the series. The story and characters just never put the hook in me.

In the beginning when I tried to respectfully disagree on how the series was progressing I was labeled an outcast...a disruptor.

Eventually I was cowed into silence. I would tape ENT since it wasn't compelling to watch it unfold. Then it became an effort to watch the tape before the next episode aired...

...Thankfully Kecklers recaps were more entertaining for me. Even today every time I see some news tidbit about ENT this or that I always think of Kecklers recaps and how they made me smile. At last I could find comfort being a Startrek expatriate.
Old February 10 2009, 08:01 PM   #17
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Ghel wrote: View Post
I think we're being a bit harsh here people.

Although there is vehement disdain for Enterprise in some quarters, I for one, enjoyed it. If there was a weakness to Enterprise it was that it didn't distinguish itself from the earlier series' in enough meaningful ways. At the same time, I challenge anyone to write for a television show every week (not including films etc.) for over fifteen years and not become a bit stagnant. For all the griping about the writers of Trek, very few of us will ever be good enough to even get hired for a show, much less sustain it for more than a decade.

As far as the finale, I do understand what Braga is saying. Conceptually, a television show spanning TNG through ENT is an awesome idea (much like the potential for Generations). It is merely unfortunate that the idea didn't translate onto the television screen.

Braga (and Berman) provided many great hours and years of Star Trek. Meybe it's time we started being thankful for the hundreds of hours of entertainment with which we have been provided rather than vilifying those who did their best to bring it to us. Of course, I guess JJ Abrams will soon be joining the ranks of the hated for adding another film to our viewing lives . . .
I applaud the attempt to bring common sense to the discussion. Alas, I suspect it will prove fruitless.

If it helps any, I agree with you though.
Old February 10 2009, 10:00 PM   #18
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post

Although there is vehement disdain for Enterprise in some quarters, I for one, enjoyed it. If there was a weakness to Enterprise it was that it didn't distinguish itself from the earlier series' in enough meaningful ways. At the same time, I challenge anyone to write for a television show every week (not including films etc.) for over fifteen years and not become a bit stagnant. For all the griping about the writers of Trek, very few of us will ever be good enough to even get hired for a show, much less sustain it for more than a decade.

As far as the finale, I do understand what Braga is saying. Conceptually, a television show spanning TNG through ENT is an awesome idea (much like the potential for Generations). It is merely unfortunate that the idea didn't translate onto the television screen.

Braga (and Berman) provided many great hours and years of Star Trek. Meybe it's time we started being thankful for the hundreds of hours of entertainment with which we have been provided rather than vilifying those who did their best to bring it to us. Of course, I guess JJ Abrams will soon be joining the ranks of the hated for adding another film to our viewing lives . . .
I applaud the attempt to bring common sense to the discussion. Alas, I suspect it will prove fruitless.

If it helps any, I agree with you though.
Seconded.
Old February 11 2009, 12:16 AM   #19
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

jumanji wrote: View Post
I don't.. he's a tosser and Moore should be the one calling the shots.
Nope. That would be just as bad now. If not worse.
Old February 11 2009, 01:53 AM   #20
Procutus
Admiral

Mott the barber wrote: View Post
Good riddance to him.

That being said, he is highly involved with this season of 24 and it's been great so far.

Hey Mott, long time no see!

I gotta agree on both counts. I'm glad that Braga is no longer involved with Trek on any level, but I have to say that so far, 24 is a bit more like the show you and I fell in love with years ago. How much of that is his input is hard to say.
Old February 11 2009, 02:38 AM   #21
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post
"I don't know [what I would have done,] because at the time I thought it was very cool
And this was a big part of the problem.

They didn't actually know what was good ST anymore, so we got VOY, ENT, INS and NEM.
Whew...good thing we fans know better, right?

part of him is sad to see someone else in charge. "My analogy with 'Star Trek' is I divorced my wife, I love her dearly, she's with a great guy, and I'm so happy for her," he explained. "At the same time, in the back of mind, someone else is with my wife. That's how I feel. I can't help but feel emotionally attached to 'Star Trek.'
So ST is your wife, who is a guy, that you felt compelled to divorce, but you still love but now somebody else is fucking your wife who is a guy and a tv show.
Bolded for emphasis. Learn to read, pal. He didn't say that his "wife" in the analogy was a guy. And where did he say that he was "compelled" to divorce Trek?

Clearly, you are reading waaay too much into his (admittingly, not perfect) analogy.

jumanji wrote: View Post
I don't.. he's a tosser and Moore should be the one calling the shots.
No, see then the fan-base would be calling for Moore's blood and saying that Braga should have been kept around. Plus, every episode would have Klingons somehow.

donners22 wrote: View Post
I enjoyed Enterprise very much, and was quite infuriated by the final episode. I cannot understand how it takes this long to realise it was "kind of lackluster".
He knew it before and has said so in many conventions since the end of ENT. He was asked about it for the article, hence his comments.

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
I really do blame Berman & Braga for the poor storytelling qualities of VOY, ENT, and the last two movies.
Allow me to point out that Braga has NOTHING to do with Insurrection and Nemesis.

Obi Wana Jones wrote: View Post
They showed thier burnout with the absolute shitty Insurrection
Once again, Braga not involved with that.

Ent got so much better the last 2 seasons (especially the last).
However, he was involved with that.
Old February 11 2009, 05:00 AM   #22
Basil
Fleet Captain

Braga sucks. Abrams may not be a whole lot better, but at least his "Star Trek" is trying to infuse some energy back into the franchise rather than just grind through the same bland, predictable maneuvers of the last few Trek series.

I do find it interesting that Braga's crappy "Threshold" was in most ways just a bland, predictable precursor to Abrams' "Fringe."
Old February 11 2009, 04:10 PM   #23
anti-matter
Rear Admiral

^ When that's just too harsh...overall things were good+ imo. ST does have some self imposed limitations that aren't too easy to work around.

The news here is that he didn't like the ending for ENT so that's something a lot of fans can find agreement with.
Old February 13 2009, 06:07 AM   #24
Zeke
Captain

Hey, cool. I came here expecting a huge Braga-trashing thread, but it's actually been pretty balanced. Thumbs up for a couple years of cooldown time.

As for "These Are the Voyages", I remain one of the three people who liked it, but I have a feeling a lot more cooldown time will be required there. Looks like BB has decided to cut his losses (see also "Threshold").
Old February 13 2009, 09:21 AM   #25
T'Devilish
T'Bonz - Romulan Curmudgeon

I didn't like it, but that was because it should have been a finale to ENT, not a finale to Trek (specifically TNG.)

It was better than the travesty of a Voyager ending. Now that, I loathed.

I see no reason to "hate" someone because they wrote something that I didn't like. That's just daft. Nor would I avoid other stuff they wrote. One can disagree on some things and not on all things.

I watched "Threshold" initially, but got bored with it so didn't continue after a few episodes. It started out pretty good though.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old February 14 2009, 07:41 PM   #26
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

T'Bonz wrote: View Post

Ah, good. I'm glad I wasn't the only one. You ever read the post-finale Voyager novels? Not great either, but the first two are (at least in part), what Endgame should have been.
Old February 14 2009, 07:56 PM   #27
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

I never had a problem with Endgame. I thought it was a great finale for the series..

But for those who do: Where's the hate for Kenneth Biller, who not only co-wrote the story, but also the screenplay?? How come none of you post hate threads about him and his running of season 7??? Where's the hate there??

Some of you fans really don't know who it is you're supposed to hate!!

Last edited by ChocolateBabyJesus; February 15 2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old February 14 2009, 10:29 PM   #28
T'Devilish
T'Bonz - Romulan Curmudgeon

RandyS wrote: View Post
T'Bonz wrote: View Post

Ah, good. I'm glad I wasn't the only one. You ever read the post-finale Voyager novels? Not great either, but the first two are (at least in part), what Endgame should have been.
Yep. I've read them. And I agree.

"Endgame" left me feeling cheated. And that's not even counting the barf-inducing Seven of Mary Sue Barbie Borg gets the prize bit.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old February 16 2009, 03:42 AM   #29
SupAJ1M
Lieutenant

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SupAJ1M

lol
Old February 21 2009, 03:40 AM   #30
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

number6 wrote: View Post
I never had a problem with Endgame. I thought it was a great finale for the series..

But for those who do: Where's the hate for Kenneth Biller, who not only co-wrote the story, but also the screenplay?? How come none of you post hate threads about him and his running of season 7??? Where's the hate there??

Some of you fans really don't know who it is you're supposed to hate!!
I've wondered this myself for years and even started a thread about it a few years back. The result of which basically had the general response of the "B&B Haters" was either "the damage was done" or "B&B were still overseeing the show, so the buck still stops with them."