Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 13 2009, 05:17 PM   #1
2 of 10
Captain

Morale Building...

Which Trek scene has the best moral building speech you can recall, for me it's DS-9 ep "Favor the Bold" scene when after a mission Sisko is with the crew and The Chief brings in a spent Phaser Coil. I don't recall Sisko's exact wording, but he states that this spent coil represents more than just some spent equipment, it represents the fight in the Defient and in the Federation, later in the same ep Jadzia gives more of less the same speech, and the chief puts the coil in a line of spent coils...
2 of 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Re: Moral Building...

Do you mean morale?
Old February 13 2009, 05:26 PM   #3
2 of 10
Captain

^^^

Yeah I did, thanks for the correction...
2 of 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

It'd have to be one of Kirk's - there's the ever famous "Risk is our business," of course, but I'm even more fond of his address to the crew after Balok scares the bejezus out of them in "The Corbomite Maneuver."

Those of you who have served for long on this vessel have encountered alien life-forms. You know the greatest danger facing us is ourselves - an irrational fear of the unknown.

But there's no such thing as the unknown - only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood. In most cases we have found that intelligence capable of a civilization is capable of understanding peaceful gestures. Surely a life-form advanced enough for space travel is advanced enough to eventually understand our motives.

All decks stand by.
It works because he's not speechifying so much as just talking - focused but almost conversational in tone - and it's not all bombast and oratorical generalities, but reassures people and calls them back to their duty in a crisis by reminding them of who they are and what they know to be true.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 06:09 PM   #5
asdf1
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to asdf1

I don't know if it counts, but Picard's speech in FC
asdf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Morale Building...

Typo fixed
Old February 13 2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Cicero
Admiral

Captain Picard, Yesterday's Enterprise

Short, to the point, and effective.
Old February 13 2009, 09:25 PM   #8
Green Shirt
Commodore

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
It'd have to be one of Kirk's - there's the ever famous "Risk is our business," of course, but I'm even more fond of his address to the crew after Balok scares the bejezus out of them in "The Corbomite Maneuver."

Those of you who have served for long on this vessel have encountered alien life-forms. You know the greatest danger facing us is ourselves - an irrational fear of the unknown.

But there's no such thing as the unknown - only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood. In most cases we have found that intelligence capable of a civilization is capable of understanding peaceful gestures. Surely a life-form advanced enough for space travel is advanced enough to eventually understand our motives.

All decks stand by.
It works because he's not speechifying so much as just talking - focused but almost conversational in tone - and it's not all bombast and oratorical generalities, but reassures people and calls them back to their duty in a crisis by reminding them of who they are and what they know to be true.
If he had given that talk in later seasons, it would have been filled with bombast.
Old February 13 2009, 10:43 PM   #9
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

"I'm going to ask all of you to think back to the day when this ship was first launched. We were explorers then. When all this is over, when Earth is safe, I want you to get back to that job. There are four hundred billion stars in our galaxy, we've only explored a tiny fraction. You have a lot of work to do. Of all the captains who will sit in this chair, I can't imagine any of them being more proud than I am right now."

--- Captain Archer, before going on his suicide mission to Azati Prime
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 01:01 AM   #10
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

When Damar made his speech calling on the Cardassian people to rise up against the Dominion. This came just after the Federation alliance had just seen Earth attacked and they had lost a major battle, so Damar provided a ray of hope and became their only chance to save the Alpha Quadrant.

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote